another year, another XTerra cancelation story

haven

Expedition Leader
It seems like the XTerra is perpetually on the chopping block. After an burst of enthusiasm for the XTerra in 2000, sales have declined every year. In calendar 2012, about 17,000 XTerras were sold. This year, the number is looking to be closer to 15,000 sold. The XTerra is sold only in North America.

The Frontier pickup and XTerra are supposed to have refreshed exteriors for 2014. After that, Nissan may cancel the brand. The fact that Toyota has decided to pull the plug on the FJ Cruiser makes it easier for Nissan to cancel the XTerra.

Nissan makes a number of small SUVs for world markets, including the Terrano and XTrail. Recently, Nissan has decided to replace these models with variations on the Nissan Rogue, a front drive unibody model with optional AWD. Nissan just started to build the Rogue in its Smyrna, Tennessee plant. The 2014 Rogue is based on the Altima sedan chassis, also built in Smyrna.

Another possible replacement for the XTerra would be a longer version of the Nissan Juke. One disadvantage of the Juke is that it is built only in Japan.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/nissan-mulls-xterras-future.html

Allof75

Pathfinder
The current iteration of the Xterra should be put out to pasture. It is a great vehicle and a great platform but it desperately needs an update to bring it up to the times.

It's very frustrating to me when makes leave the entire 4x4 market to their competitor- jeep. If jeep sells so many wranglers a year, there is obviously a market for at least another honest to goodness 4x4. Just look at the 4x4 forums, there's a huge market willing to buy- make it cheap, reliable, and durable, and call it a day; that's what can sell, especially with enough marketing behind it.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Cancelling FJ is a no brainer because of too much costly wheel control / AWD bells / whistles. Simply not sustainable except at the dumping prices we have seen ever since intro of the vehicle.
Nissan, I suggest follow the jeep model:
super cheap base model with run of the mill 4WD
--AND--
slightly more expensive "4xTerra" with locker(s).
In bulk, the locker(s) will add next to nothing for manufacturing costs; but will be attractive to 4WD market that likes a smooth ride on the pavement to the trail.
JMHO.

humz

I don`t see how cancelling the FJ makes it easier for Nissan to do the same. If anything it should help there sales, from everything we`ve heard from Nissan directly, there are no plans to cancel the Xterra platform and they realize there is still a demand for body on frame offroad vehicles. None of those crossovers or small SUVs fit the bill.

Gator

Adventurer
Maybe if they were not trying to make the X so car like, the sales would increase. Same thing with the FJ. I cant believe none on=f these car makers learned anything from the VW bug relaunch. People purchased these vehicles because of their simplicity. Making them complicated just soured the taste for many would be repeat buyers. Comfort is nice, but ruggedness is what truck buyers want.
Lator......

Strizzo

Explorer
i agree that the xterra could use a refresh, but should keep the body on frame design and real 4x4 with 2-speed transfer case. if nissan cancels the xterra, the only "midsize" SUV with real 4x4 would be the 4runner and maybe the new cherokee (but i haven't done much looking on the coming specs of it). what it could use is a bit more fuel efficient engine. the new jeep pentastar makes almost the same power from less displacement, and likely gets better mileage.

my grandfather has a TJ on stock suspension with lockers that he pulls behind his RV, and every time he rides in my xterra he comments how much better it rides, and it goes everywhere he takes his jeep. we both ran black gap road in Big Bend when my X was still stock, and he was bumping and scraping all over, while i didn't touch a skid.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I fail to see where that is a disadvantage . The old hard bodies were built in Japan and were some of the most reliable trucks Nissan has made.

Hard Body was built in Smyrna.. Its why they built the plant. Hardbody and Sentra

I do not see the FJ being dead a bad thing. It was built in Japan and its becoming harder and harder for Japan to ship to the US. Thats why you will see 85% of Nissans being sold in the US built by the US. The Gen 2 Xterra has never caught on like the Gen 1 I think size is a factor. The Gen 1 while underpowered was the perfect size SUV.
Like every auto maker they thought bigger is better.. I own both.. And love both but the Gen 1 on trails is so much better.. I do wish it had the 4.0 though ;)

Look at when gas became a issue too.. 2002.. Thats when gas prices started to shoot up like crazy. The Gen 2 didnt do much better than the 1st Xterra in that area. Sure it has a larger fuel tank but it still sucks gas at 14-18MPGs. No better than Gen 1. Also mid 2000s is when CUV's started to hit. They look like a real SUV but ride like a car.
Whether we want to believe this or not.. Soccer moms rule this market. So the True 4x4 SUV is dying.

Nissan really needs to sell 25-30k Xterra.. Frontier needs 30-60k

Both are long in the tooth.. Why? The Nissan Chrysler partnership.. When Nissan had to pull away from the Titan/RAM it put the whole truck line 4 years behind.
From what I have heard recently both Frontier and Xterra could be gone in 2015. Why build 2 trucks that avg 16MPGs when you can build one and this doesnt hurt your CAFE MPGs as bad.

Slicky72

Adventurer
My Hardbody is a Japan built truck JN6 vin code. Maybe it is a Canadian market thing.

Anyhow you are right on the money with the idea of streamlining their lineup . I love my Xterra but I could do just fine with a short bed crew cab Frontier that were my only choice.

Obviously all the manufacurers are missing the boat here in North America by not offering something that could compete on paper with Jeep's Jk. I am confident any one of the import companies could build a competitive vehicle with better reliability than is offered by Jeep if they wanted to.

Luckily my Xterra is in great shape and will last me many more years so I don't have to worry about a replacement any time soon.

DEnd

Observer
My Hardbody is a Japan built truck JN6 vin code. Maybe it is a Canadian market thing.

Yep Canadian market. The US has a 25% import tax on pickups built outside of North America. It's called the chicken tax, and it is why the Ford transit connect work van comes with a headliner. When Ford imports them they are passenger vehicles (complete with rear side and door glass and rear passenger seats with seat belts) Ford then converts these into work vans in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk