Any early bronco expo rigs?

zimm

Expedition Leader
Which is why I dont understand why anyone is willing to drive a gas truck.

The last trip (1200 miles) we took with my truck and camper loaded to nearly 10k lbs we averaged 17mpg.

'96 powerstroke

Lessen the fuel cost, increase your driving range, and take your trips further, and longer.

in reference to building a NEW rig the cost difference out the door for a Diesel v Gas, means the rigs need to be driven about 100,000 miles in the first 4 years... to break even. most people dont drive that. instead of making larger payments they would prefer to use the money for trips.

when it comes to old trucks, sometimes the cost gap closes, and sometimes it expands greatly. look at late model e350 oil burners vs the same rig and gas, and you'll be stunned at the premium people want. not only doesnt the gap close, but it becomes a greater % of the rig budget. oh... and lets not forget the cost of repairs on used rigs. nothing like the joy of buying diesel parts.

deisel is great. if your rig is massive, or you rack up miles like a trucker, or you happen to drive some german autos where the engine cost recovery isnt as great because the buy in isnt so dear.... or youre a delivery truck driver.

so what i dont understand, is why diesel owners compartmentalize costs to skew the numbers towards diesel. they only hurt themselves.

Clutch

<---Pass
So you are getting 18-20 MPG with your Toyota prepped with food/water and all gear for 2 people for 14+ days?

..and pulling a trailer with 2-3 dirt bikes. I drive the speed limit, maybe a little under.
Sure more power would be nice, but I get my power/speed fix with the moto.

I'll bet my cost of ownership is a lot lower than your diesel. Heck my Taco is getting ready to turn 260,000 miles.

2234236710093498191S500x500Q85.jpg

I don't carry too much food or water while on the road...I'll buy it when I get there, stop at a grocery store before we head into the woods. All and all I don't need that much stuff, keep as simple as possible. I don't understand why people must carry "everything", you have to stop and get gas, 9 times out of 10 there will be supplies at the gas stop...or very near by.

We base camp...and use the bikes to explore. So the truck is never too far off the beaten path.

Shoot my buddy's 4Runner will average 19mpg, pulling a 14' Tandem open trailer, 4 bikes, 4 dudes and all the gear.

Diesel=meh...don't really need one. I grew up running heavy equipment, can't really stand diesel now...as they say "To each their own"
Well over of pulling heavy...try to go as light as possible now.

Anyway...more early Bronco p0rn:

562113_395487343818508_167986896568555_1172776_1332570827_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
As far as the gas/diesel debate, with diesel now at a higher cost than gas, and the repair/maintenance costs on a diesel being higher, I'll stick with my under powered gas hog. MPG isn't a huge concern for me since A) my truck averages 17MPG mixed city highway (my commute is 16 miles one way, 8 miles highway, 8 miles city) and B) It's a truck! My concern is getting "there" wherever that might be.

At any rate, all these first gen Bronco pics really make me miss mine.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
in reference to building a NEW rig the cost difference out the door for a Diesel v Gas, means the rigs need to be driven about 100,000 miles in the first 4 years... to break even. most people dont drive that. instead of making larger payments they would prefer to use the money for trips.

Uh, what? How did NEW rigs come into this picture? I though this was about old broncos??

And what is this about payments? Who the hell pulls a loan for an old bronco? Or even used diesel.
You have no business whatsoever being on the road or on an expo instead of working 9-5 if you cannot pay cash for a used rig. Sorry.

when it comes to old trucks, sometimes the cost gap closes, and sometimes it expands greatly. look at late model e350 oil burners vs the same rig and gas, and you'll be stunned at the premium people want. not only doesnt the gap close, but it becomes a greater % of the rig budget. oh... and lets not forget the cost of repairs on used rigs. nothing like the joy of buying diesel parts.

Your forgetting the obvious. Diesels hold their value for a reason. They last longer, are tougher, and get much better mileage than their gasser counterparts.

FYI, I picked up my powerstroke for $3k And the market for 7.3 powerstrokes is ripe for the picking right now. You can find sub 200k mile 4x4 7.3s all day long for less than $10k
As for parts, who cares? The life span of a diesel + 50-80% better fuel mileage more than makes up the difference in repair parts cost.

Dont believe me?

How about a 100k mile comparison?

100k miles @ 10mpg (460v8 gasser) @ $3.50 per gallon = $35k

100k miles @ 17mpg (going easy on you, I routinely see 20) @ $4 gallon = $23.5k

In just 100,000 miles you just SAVED about $12k On a truck you payed $10k for instead of $6k (for gasser) JUST IN FUEL.

I know for damn sure it doesnd cost $12k to maintain a 7.3 PSD for 100k I know Ive put about that much into mine since purchase.
And at nearly 300k, I still dont have that much into my truck in purchase AND repairs/upgrades. SORRY!!

deisel is great. if your rig is massive, or you rack up miles like a trucker, or you happen to drive some german autos where the engine cost recovery isnt as great because the buy in isnt so dear.... or youre a delivery truck driver.

so what i dont understand, is why diesel owners compartmentalize costs to skew the numbers towards diesel. they only hurt themselves.

Actually, diesel is the future of the auto industry. its damn near the present for the european market. Rigs large and small. And for good reason. Diesel simply has more BTU per volume. That makes it more efficient, no matter how you slice it.

Sounds to me like you are only trying to justify your fuel hungry gasser. Funny to see so many little sport-utes getting worse fuel mileage than I do in a full size truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Sorry, but I call bull-****!

Real world you are lucky to see low 20s in any 4-runner EMPTY. No way around that.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/11/17/toyota-4runner-gas-mileage/

Call it what you want, he pulled an average of 19 mpg's on our last trip to Baja in his 4Runner, it is a V6 2WD.
It is fairly flat from Tucson to Tecate mostly highway.

I can average 18 in my Taco loaded, I usually knock it into neutral going downhill, and I try to keep the motor under 2500 rpm's otherwise.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ah... 2wd That makes it more believable.

but dare I ask.... 2wd 4-runner??? Must be a flatlander :sombrero:

High_Country

Adventurer
Okay, back on track here. Here's a few pics of my early bronco expedition rig....albeit a work in progress. It's months away from being completed....perhaps a year. The body is going to the paint shop in two weeks though. That's a big milestone. Some details:

1976 (mostly) Bronco Sport
302 V8 (mildly warmed over with ported iron heads, mild roller cam, intake, headers, carburetor)
NP435 4 speed (OEM Ford transmission found in 70's trucks - has a granny low first gear - 6.69:1)
NP205 transfer case (2:1 low range, gear driven - bullet proof)
3.5 inches of suspension lift
1 inch of body lift
Homebuilt roll cage with 2" DOM tubing - works with top on or off
Power steering
Power brakes
Protofab front and rear bumper (rear with swing away tire rack)

Ultimately it will have 35" tires (315/75/16) but I am having a heckuva time finding wheels I like

Anyways....this is all I have to contribute! I need to get a few more recent pictures.
PassFrontView.jpg

driverrearview.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

DSC000521-small.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
From the pics you posted HighCountry, you can really see the huge:Wow1:amount of work and effort you have put into your Bronco. What an awesome :drool:looking machine. Cheers, Chilli.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism