Anyone drive the new Wrangler yet?

It's a lot of Tan for me (she loves it) but we ordered it knowing the color was discontinued. Black AEV rims with my stock Rubicon tires will help IMO.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313074699.169415.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313074699.169415.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 94

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
While I haven’t had an opportunity to drive an actual 2012 Wrangler just yet, I have had a few new Chrysler rental cars the past few weeks with the new Pentastar DI 3.6L. One in a 2011 Caravan and the other in a 2011 Charger. Man, for V6 it runs great but still doesn’t feel like it has enough get out of the hole torque. The somewhat heavy Caravan was quite zippy. Higher RPM’s the 3.6L is an animal. Can’t wait to drive one with a 6-speed manual. I’ve been priming the wife that 2012 is the year we need to get a Jeep being it is the end of the world and all. Still PO’d that they discontinued Sahara Tan! Errr

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
While I haven’t had an opportunity to drive an actual 2012 Wrangler just yet, I have had a few new Chrysler rental cars the past few weeks with the new Pentastar DI 3.6L. One in a 2011 Caravan and the other in a 2011 Charger. Man, for V6 it runs great but still doesn’t feel like it has enough get out of the hole torque. The somewhat heavy Caravan was quite zippy. Higher RPM’s the 3.6L is an animal.
Fully share your observation. I actually opened the hood of my Charger rental car to make sure it is the Pentastar there. It starts quite slow, but once you hit 5mph, it really goes well, and it keeps going until you hit speeds that get you in trouble with the men in blue.
My '12 JKUR should be getting built this week and I should get it sometimes early to mid September. I will y'all know :rally_guys:

Was hanging at my dealer and was surprised to see all of the three 2012s they received with our Sahara still on the lot. They said people are coming in to test drive them but are buying the 11s. Seems the incentives on the the 11s are more impressive to buyers then the 3.6.

elbendido

I am a tech at a jeep dealer, and have driven both a 6 spd and auto. Both are much better imo than the 3.8 was. It gets out of its own way now. But the prices...wow. we have a rubicon that's 40k.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

x32792

Adventurer
I am a tech at a jeep dealer, and have driven both a 6 spd and auto. Both are much better imo than the 3.8 was. It gets out of its own way now. But the prices...wow. we have a rubicon that's 40k.

Drove a 2012 Rubicon with manual...It was $38K...Ouch.

elbendido

Don't get me wrong, its a nice jeep, but for 40k I could buy a nice used jku and swap a hemi in myself. And have some cash left over. It's still a wrangler. The 40 k rubicon still didn't have dual tops, or factory tow packages. So it could be even more expensive. That's pushing overland grand territory.

udoxx

Observer
You are all correct about the price, it is a shocker! Especially knowing that I was able to get a better deal on my Overland Commander three years ago!

The incentives for the 2011s are pretty dang good but I learned from AEV about the limited Sahara Tan color and I deferred on the purchase of a JK years ago based on my previous experience with a Liberty. When I saw this JKU Rubi sitting up on the display ramp I had to take it while I could, it has everything minus the heated seats and dual top.

I own a TJ Sport as well and have owned a 3.8 Liberty previous to the Commander. What do I think about the 3.6? I believe it is amazing, with the auto and 4.10s. The engines does not roar like the Hemi nor does it sound like a tractor as does the 4.0 but it hums along pulling away down the highway. On climbs you can tell when the Variable Valve opens before it must downshift to a lower gear. I am really impressed with the smoothness, fuel range and power. I think I have an excellent Expediton base to start with...anything better would be a CRD!

If you have any questions or would like pictures let me know.

comac90

Observer
I drove one ... when I picked mine up last Friday. :sombrero:

I bought a Rubicon which, after drinking some of the AEV Kool-Aid, will be outfitted over the next week with their 3.5" lift, front and rear bumpers, and 35s. It will be interesting to see how it drives with the lift, etc. As it is right now, I could daily drive this vehicle with zero issues. That's the first time I've ever said that about any vehicle I've owned that 'should' have the capability of this one.

Nice acceleration, quiet ... wayyy quieter than I thought it would be on the highway - I have an older Benz with a Yakima bike rack/fairing and noise levels are similar. The seats are very supportive. I'm looking forward to stretching it's legs a bit in about 3 weeks.

in response to the couple of price comments ... you are right, MSRP can get steep quick. But, between the Tread Lightly affiliate program (1% below invoice) and dealer's 'dealing' below that, prices are good. I won't broadcast over the www, but Skyland Automotive in Asheville was awesome to deal with. I ordered on 7.7.11 and picked up this past Friday.

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven