Anyone running a Bronco?

Viggen

Just here...
yeah, i thought about the 78/79 model years but i just cant get behind the looks of them. i know that looks are subjective and all but theyre just soooo damn ugly. i know that out of the box they are extremely stout and ready to go but i just can not see myself building one into an expedition rig. my other main concern is the width. i know the wheelbase is nicely sized, possibly a little too long but the width is the real issue for me here on the east coast. a lot of the forests and things around here involve some skinny two tracks. something in/ around that length and slightly skinnier would be perfect.

jtg

I have a 91 bronco and I really like it. The thing that I like about it the most, is that the junk yards are full of 80 to 96 broncos. Just about every part is interchangeable in these year. The same is true with the F150 truck and most of the up grade running gear can be found in the f250 and f350. Just an example, A fender is $25 on 1/2 off days at the junk yard by me. your not going to pick up parts for an E B that cheap. You can pick up a good running Bronco dirt cheap. Probably cheaper than any other SUV. Every thing you ever wanted to do to a full size bronco can be found on www.fullsizebronco.com.
The full size Broncos are a bit fat, but I got mine all the way threw the Rubicon trail and that's a pretty damn skinny trail. I think that all of the pluses of the full size Bronco are true of the full size Blazer also. The Blazer has 3 more pluses in addition. Sold front axle, can be found with a diesel, and can be found in 3/4 ton in the M1007 and M1009 blazer. But than you have to drive a Chevy:sombrero:

All that said. I would love to have a EB, but I wouldn't feel the same when I smacked off a rock.

rubicon-041.jpg

rubicon-001.jpg

img_2696.jpg

Last edited:
I think the early broncos are my favorite.
That said, they wont work for me, to small. While you might not need much room now, will you in a couple of years?

The other draw back is price. At least around here, they arnt cheap.
I put together another full size bronco with gears, lockers, and one ton axles for less than I could have bought a early bronco.
mine just needs a different front bumper and I think I will be done.

hpim9657.jpg

Early broncos certainly have a cool factor to them. They have great after market support also.
Cons to me are price, less oem parts available than fsb's, and size. Add a wife and or kid to your mix, and even the fsb starts to get small.

Lars70

Observer
I'm not sure if my 1970 Bronco qualifies as "Expedition ready" but the way I use it tends toward that sort of thing.

Some pics of a 4 day trip my wife and I took in ours through central Nevada a couple of weeks ago: http://www.abarinnowhere.com/Travel/L-M10-09/9907522_hhmGF#675355021_6kXHG

I probably have at least 100 pounds of sound deadener in mine, in strategic locations. That, and a ginormous muffler. I wouldn't exactly call it quiet, but you can have a conversation without raising your voice while driving 70mph if the windows are rolled up (as cold as it was in Nevada 2 weeks ago, that was all the time).

With the usual injected 5.0/ARBs front & rear/NV4500 transmission/Atlas t-case/4 wheel discs/modified suspension/35" tires/onboard air/rear outlet for Engel fridge/LED dome lights and a bunch of other crap that doesn't come to mind right now, it does the job reasonably well. Not cheap though; not even kinda sorta. Would've been cheaper (possibly a lot) to start with something newer.

Space is limited, but for 2 people I've never found it to be a problem. In 32 years together my wife and I have always done the tent on the ground thing, but recently she discovered the Autohome Columbus. I sense a rooftop tent in our future. Based on a tape measure, it should fit very well.

Lars70

Observer
big Broncos

For what it's worth, as much as I like my early Bronco, the last couple of posters make some excellent points about big Broncos. Comfort will be a lot better too, and you can have nice things like factory a/c, and a reasonably good chance that rain will stay on the outside. TTB may require more attention to alignment, but it'll provide a nicer ride than a solid axle.

On a longer trip through central Nevada last Spring, and before that several days of Death Valley & the Mojave Road, I was followed by a friend in his 3/4 ton Suburban. I never went anywhere in my EB that he couldn't follow. Granted we weren't on the Rubicon, but I'm over the need to test my vehicle to that extent. Getting (far away) from crowds in primitive areas is more interesting these days.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
For what it's worth, as much as I like my early Bronco, the last couple of posters make some excellent points about big Broncos. Comfort will be a lot better too, and you can have nice things like factory a/c, and a reasonably good chance that rain will stay on the outside. TTB may require more attention to alignment, but it'll provide a nicer ride than a solid axle.

On a longer trip through central Nevada last Spring, and before that several days of Death Valley & the Mojave Road, I was followed by a friend in his 3/4 ton Suburban. I never went anywhere in my EB that he couldn't follow. Granted we weren't on the Rubicon, but I'm over the need to test my vehicle to that extent. Getting (far away) from crowds in primitive areas is more interesting these days.

I'm not sure where everyone gets the idea that TTB needs aligning more often or that it's hard to do... I've never had any problem getting any of my lifted TTB vehicles aligned (granted I take it to a shop that knows what they're doing), nor have I had any 'extra' trouble with it needing to be aligned so frequently... If you have the system set up correctly it will work as effectively as a solid axle off road and almost as comfortable as a SLA system on road... It's the best of both worlds, and I would only trade it for one or the other (SFA vs SLA) if the respective vehicle was to be used for off road only or on road only, respectively... But, for a relative mix between the two, I believe the TTB system wins in every case...

Lars70

Observer
I'm not sure where everyone gets the idea that TTB needs aligning more often or that it's hard to do... I've never had any problem getting any of my lifted TTB vehicles aligned (granted I take it to a shop that knows what they're doing), nor have I had any 'extra' trouble with it needing to be aligned so frequently... If you have the system set up correctly it will work as effectively as a solid axle off road and almost as comfortable as a SLA system on road... It's the best of both worlds, and I would only trade it for one or the other (SFA vs SLA) if the respective vehicle was to be used for off road only or on road only, respectively... But, for a relative mix between the two, I believe the TTB system wins in every case...

To be clear, that's why I wrote "may require more attention"- I'm only commenting on a reputation. I have never owned a TTB Ford, so I have no direct experience. I have driven them though, and the ride is obviously better. If I was in the market the alleged alignment issues wouldn't be a factor for me at all.

Stan the Man

Adventurer

I'm with you. I've wheel the crap out of my ttb and I've never touched the alignment. In the past year and a half (probably 20+ trails later), its still tracks the same as the day I set it. To top that off, I set my alignment in the driveway with no ill effects on tire wear.

To be clear, that's why I wrote "may require more attention"- I'm only commenting on a reputation. I have never owned a TTB Ford, so I have no direct experience. I have driven them though, and the ride is obviously better. If I was in the market the alleged alignment issues wouldn't be a factor for me at all.

Its a common mis-conception. The reason being these are older trucks and the gearboxes and steering linkage is worn out. Fix all that and you'll have a tight, straight driving vehicle.

With that said, I love my big bronco. The ttb rides great with quality mono-tube shocks (Bilstein 5100's rock) and it flexes better than any IFS out there. Spare parts are easy to get your hands on while you're out of town, junkyards are packed with 88-96 F-series, broncos, and vans (almost all parts are interchangeable), local auto chains carry parts, and so do Ford dealerships.

Its a solid platform and will be as reliable as the owner makes it.

Viggen

Just here...
Im not much into the extreme 4wheeling. Its cool to watch and everything but its not something that I am completely into. What I am looking for though is something maneuverable, tracks well, pretty capable, has a bit of room for a few days worth of stuff where ever. Im looking to have something thats "expedition ready." Im not going to be trekking across Africa or anything like that but am interested in something that would make a good overland vehicle for two or three people. From the last couple of posts, I see that a full size Bronco would be better than an early Bronco but I am just not a huge fan of the later body styles.

78Bronco

Explorer
Im not much into the extreme 4wheeling. Its cool to watch and everything but its not something that I am completely into. What I am looking for though is something maneuverable, tracks well, pretty capable, has a bit of room for a few days worth of stuff where ever. Im looking to have something thats "expedition ready." Im not going to be trekking across Africa or anything like that but am interested in something that would make a good overland vehicle for two or three people. From the last couple of posts, I see that a full size Bronco would be better than an early Bronco but I am just not a huge fan of the later body styles.

3 people in an EB with a trailer would be fine for room. Spend three times more than you have to ;)

I like the 70's and 90's body style but the 80's were ugly and unrefined.

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Even though it sounds like you're already sold on the Bigger Broncos, I'll just add in another endorsement. All of the previous comments are right on the money with maybe the exception of the 78-79 Broncos being ungly, but to each his own. One additional thing that add about the TTB (as it is often times listed as a negative, regardless of it's correctness) is that you can through a solid axle under these trucks in about 2 weekends and STILL have a truck that handles very well on road (in my case better than the TTB, but that could have been because of a variety of factors) and is nearly unstoppable off road. All this and you can get VERY nice examples of the truck in it's newer models AND buy all the goodies/ad-ons for less than most other SUVs.

Here are a couple pics of mine (35s, 5.8ltr, SAS, ARBs, leather, PS, PW, PDL, etc..):

img_0952.jpg

img_3227.jpg

Lars70

Observer

Another option could be a Toyota FJZ80, or for something more basic (and older), an FJ60. Or possibly even a 4Runner. I didn't used to care for the look of the big Broncos either, but there are a couple in my part of the world with the usual lift/bigger wheels and especially aftermarket bumpers, and I have to admit that they have grown on me. The ability to find parts everywhere is also pretty appealing. Arguably that's not too difficult with an early Bronco either, but they do have a few relatively oddball things compared to other Fords of the same vintage- steering boxes for example.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk