Anyone running a Bronco?

Stan the Man

Adventurer
3 people in an EB with a trailer would be fine for room. Spend three times more than you have to ;)

I like the 70's and 90's body style but the 80's were ugly and unrefined.

Either a '78/79 or a late model 90 is where its at. The earlier model 90's transmissions were weak compared to the internals of the late models.

EB's are cool and all and I've always wanted one, but they're too expensive. You can get a decent drivable one for $8k, but it wont be expy ready. You spend the same $8k on a FSB and you've got a truck that can't be held back on the trails. An expy trailer is money, probably more than you'd like to spend. I just dont see you getting 3-4 people in the EB and the necessary parts, food, and gear to last. An EB is like a Jeep, its gotta be a 2 seater.

Viggen

Just here...
The more I think about it the more a EB would be pretty silly to build. There really isnt all that much room in there really. So, a FSB is a pretty capable machine but how is it with maneuverability? My main stumbling block is that most of the FSBs that I see are 35"+ tired and built to be mud or rock machines. Im looking for something to build that will be able to carry a good amount of stuff, comfortable for a long haul trip, be able to navigate so tighter east coast style (think thick trees and double track) and get decent mileage at the same time. A FSB with a SAS, some tall and relatively skinny tires, a non monster truck style lift and a diesel (for some semblance of mpg since this will be driven everyday around town and on trips) would work? Has anyone put a diesel in a full size Bronco?

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
The more I think about it the more a EB would be pretty silly to build. There really isnt all that much room in there really. So, a FSB is a pretty capable machine but how is it with maneuverability? My main stumbling block is that most of the FSBs that I see are 35"+ tired and built to be mud or rock machines. Im looking for something to build that will be able to carry a good amount of stuff, comfortable for a long haul trip, be able to navigate so tighter east coast style (think thick trees and double track) and get decent mileage at the same time. A FSB with a SAS, some tall and relatively skinny tires, a non monster truck style lift and a diesel (for some semblance of mpg since this will be driven everyday around town and on trips) would work? Has anyone put a diesel in a full size Bronco?

Sounds like a good plan... If I were doing it, I'd skip the SAS part... Do just enough lift to clear 255/85-16's, extended radius arms, and a 4BT-ZF swap...

78Bronco

Explorer
You can fit 33x10.5x15's with no lift onto a late 90's bronco with the OEM tow package. I'd look for a 1996 model because it will have a MAF EFI system which is best to start with. If you are serious about a diesel swap then the easiest would be to find an late 90's F350 4x4 with a dana60 front axle, a 7.3 and the auto/manual. Believe it or not the FSB will have the same t-case as the diesel truck so no need to swap that.

A FSB is quite manuverable and stable. You should take one for a drive and find out for yourself.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
A FSB is quite manuverable and stable. You should take one for a drive and find out for yourself.

Honestly, they are better than most vehicles to date. I may be biased, but its true. Let me dig up some pictures of me on tight trails. Oh and you need to check out fullsizebronco.com, its got everything you'd ever need to know about a fsb. Good luck.

Picture065.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

Picture092.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

... I'm sure you get the idea. :ylsmoke:

78Bronco

Explorer
Some inspiration for you

131_0802_06_z+1978_ford_bronco+front_view.jpg

129_0612_12_z+1983_ford_bronco+front_view.jpg

I like the tough ugly old red one!

Popup camper with a pass thru. One day I plan to make a camper for mine, similar to the Earth Roamer Jeep design but it will be a popup only.

Bronco3.jpg

Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I think that Bronco with the attached camper would be my dream build... More room and power than the Jeep version, but still a small wheel base for tight maneuvers.

Some Day...

-

jtg

Just another option for you is the Blazer Chalet. I see these Chalets for sale now and than.
2006_0628image0006.jpg

historicalprint70blazercampera.jpg

historicalprint70blazercamper300a.jpg

historicalprint70blazercamper300c.jpg

1976_chevy_blazer_chalet_brochure_1.jpg

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
I think that Bronco with the attached camper would be my dream build..
I run across Broncos with aftermarket campers reasonably often.

Tonight, however, I stumbled across this a short time ago - for those of you liking the old Bronco IIs, but wished they were a tad bigger, how 'bout the "Bronco II PLUS"? An aftermarket conversion, some info here, and an owner here.

attachment.php

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I know the 4BT swap was mentioned above, but as I was going through the "What to replace the 80 series with?" problem, I got the idea to buy a 96 Bronco and a 96 PowerStroke truck. Swap the diesel and associated electronics (Computer, complete wiring harness) into the bronco and you'd have a near factory quality swap. I know somebody has to have done this already somewhere...right...it's not my original idea...

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
I know the 4BT swap was mentioned above, but as I was going through the "What to replace the 80 series with?" problem, I got the idea to buy a 96 Bronco and a 96 PowerStroke truck. Swap the diesel and associated electronics (Computer, complete wiring harness) into the bronco and you'd have a near factory quality swap. I know somebody has to have done this already somewhere...right...it's not my original idea...

Yea, I've seen it somewhere... not so sure how well it'd drive with a 1K lb engine in a SWB 1/2 ton framed truck... Just IMO...

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Yea, I've seen it somewhere... not so sure how well it'd drive with a 1K lb engine in a SWB 1/2 ton framed truck... Just IMO...

A 5.8 without an intake manifold is around 590 +/-. a 7.3 is 920 (Can you say PIG... Complete, but dry) that's a 330 lbs. difference. If you want to know how it would handle, ask somebody with a Reunel type bumper/winch combo and that would get you closer.

It can't be that bad because the California Highway Patrol ran that exact combination for years (Reunel and winch). If you've ever been to their training facility, you'd know what an endorsement that is.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
You can fit 33x10.5x15's with no lift onto a late 90's bronco with the OEM tow package. I'd look for a 1996 model because it will have a MAF EFI system which is best to start with. If you are serious about a diesel swap then the easiest would be to find an late 90's F350 4x4 with a dana60 front axle, a 7.3 and the auto/manual. Believe it or not the FSB will have the same t-case as the diesel truck so no need to swap that.

Didn't read this when I posted. My point exactly.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
A 5.8 without an intake manifold is around 590 +/-. a 7.3 is 920 (Can you say PIG... Complete, but dry) that's a 330 lbs. difference. If you want to know how it would handle, ask somebody with a Reunel type bumper/winch combo and that would get you closer.

It can't be that bad because the California Highway Patrol ran that exact combination for years (Reunel and winch). If you've ever been to their training facility, you'd know what an endorsement that is.

True, but then imagine that with a front bumper, that's an extra 600 lbs on the front...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk