Anyone with a Ram1500 with the Pentastar 3.6?

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I've got the Pentastar in my JGC. Great engine but you will need to spool it up for any power. Frankly want to upgrade to the 5.7 Hemi. Upper 20s? Never have I ever had better than 22 to 24mpg on the freeway. Amazing how much BS there is out there on MPG. Average 18mpg in mixed driving. On a JGC.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I've got the Pentastar in my JGC. Great engine but you will need to spool it up for any power. Frankly want to upgrade to the 5.7 Hemi. Upper 20s? Never have I ever had better than 22 to 24mpg on the freeway. Amazing how much BS there is out there on MPG. Average 18mpg in mixed driving. On a JGC.

my 4.0 frontier gets 12 so 24 would be amazing. Obviously I would prefer a 5.7, but I want a 6' bed more. My first car was a 95 ram v6 and I couldn't even pass a guy on a bicycle. I know a lot has changed with technology in 30 years but I don't want to be in that situation again.

Grassland

my 4.0 frontier gets 12 so 24 would be amazing. Obviously I would prefer a 5.7, but I want a 6' bed more. My first car was a 95 ram v6 and I couldn't even pass a guy on a bicycle. I know a lot has changed with technology in 30 years but I don't want to be in that situation again.
It's not the same, but similar:

I drove a 2014 F150 with the 3.7 NA V6. Most of the 8 years I had it, was on 255/80R17 or 34x10.5R17 tires, with a topper, skid plates, and always stuff in it. I also took it on a 13,000km road trip towing a 5000# trailer. 6 speed automatic, no select shift, stock gears. Towing 5k on that trip was what I would consider the max for it.
I wouldn't recommend it for regular towing of more than 3500#, but for the average user of a pick up it was great.
The curb weight, size, and performance specs are similar in the trucks. (Ram/Ford) I think the Ram has an 8 speed with the V6 depending on the year.
It's like buying a mid size truck, but with better stability and more room and payload.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I do love the sound of that Hemi as well. But while I appreciate raw power, I know myself---as soon as gas prices go up, I will hate the truck and its mediocre MPG. I am liking what I am finding on the little pentastar engine.

I think you answered your question.

I have the Pentastar in a Grand Cherokee. I only got it because a Hemi would have to have been ordered and I could not wait. While I would have loved the Hemi, I do not tow and Pentastar is plenty.

After 280k miles Mopar is rebuilding blown motor under lifetime warranty I bought in 2014 - big win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger