Apple Tablet: iPad

haven

Expedition Leader
In what could be a development tied to the Apple tablet announcement, the NY Times is said to be looking at charging for access to its web site. Since the Times makes a lot of money from paid advertising on its web pages, there might be a limited free version (maybe only headlines and breaking news) and a subscribers' edition with in-depth reporting and feature articles, with improved color, graphics and video.

The connection between the Times and Apple could come in the form of a six month free subscription to the more graphical online newspaper when one purchases the Apple Tablet or iSlate or whatever it ends up being called. When the 6 months is up, just connect to the iTunes store to order a new subscription. If Apple chooses this route, they would be likely to bundle other online content subscriptions with the purchase of the Tablet as well. This is all speculation, of course.

There are a small number of online publications that seem to be surviving with the pay-to-view model. These include the Wall Street Journal, ESPN the Magazine, and Consumer Reports. Other print publishers have made noises about finding a pay-per-view model for online versions. A link to the new Apple product would be a good way to find new subscribers.

Update: The NY Times announced on Jan 20 that visitors to NYTimes.com will get a certain number of articles free every month before being asked to pay a flat fee for unlimited access. Subscribers to the newspaper's print edition will receive full access to the site. The plan will go into effect in early 2011, about a year from now. But details like how much it would cost, or how many article views would be free were not announced.

So the Apple Tablet announcement won't include the NY Times!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Viliv X70 EX - archos 9

I have to ask- what more could the Islate do that can't be done using these platforms ?

ie GPS movies musci web cam etc etc

sorry no one needs a 7-10" screened phone

I'm presently looking at something for the car, primerily for the 2 year to play dvd's etc..and knowing that DVD's don't like dust and rough usage

But this could double for many other uses, with windows being the operating system I can load any of my standard software too

I already have a 500gig portable HD with a 12v adapter, that I could hard mount under a seat

keyboard---mmm I find typing while driving a distraction:costumed-smiley-007

wonder if Mapsource will work with the included GPS ...

I could see this on a pole just behind the front seats that folds forward between the seat when Mum and dad want to play !

Meanwhile the GPS on the dash is connected and uploading the tracks, the babes watching a dvd and then at the campsite you can put on the tunes and upload and view the days shots........

OK who see's a downside on this

for this dude that does not want to wait a year ?

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
People have long complained that PCs can do what Macs do, and they generally cost less money. Mac fans reply that Apple's aesthetics, ease of use, and the high level of integration in the Apple "ecosystem" of products make the Mac worth the extra money.

Considering the slate computers mentioned, either would work for the uses described: in-car navigation (with external GPS receiver), watching movies, playing music, web browsing, email, e-book viewing, simple text editing.

Here's a review of the Archos 9. It costs about $550 in USA.
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/12/archos-9-review/

Here's a review by the same author of the Viliv X70. The X70 costs $600 to $725 depending on options
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/06/viliv-x70-ex-umpc-full-review-with-videos/

You might also consider a small laptop that converts between clamshell configuration and slate/touchscreen mode. Examples include:

5 inch
Fujitsu Lifebook UH900 Multi-Touch

7 inch screen
Kohjinsha SC3
Viliv S7

9 inch screen
Asus EEE PC T91
Gigabyte M912X

10 inch screen
Asus EEE PC T101
Viliv X10 Blade
Lenovo Ideapad S10-3T

11.6 inch screen
Acer's Aspire Timeline 1810PTZ

12 inch screen
HP TouchSmart tm2
Fujitsu Lifebook T4310

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
More idle speculation about the Apple Tablet:

Most observers predict that the tablet will be used primarily for content consumption (watching movies and videos, listening to music, reading e-books, and so on) rather than content creation (writing, editing photos, building web pages, etc).

For video, today's must-have feature is high definition. That means 1080p (1,920x1,080 pixels, progressive scan, as found in Blu-Ray movies and some HD TV broadcasts) and 720p (1,280x720 pixels, lots of HD TV material). On a screen as small as the tablet, it will be very difficult to tell the difference
between 1080p and 720p. And there's more 720p material available.

So let's assume that the Apple Tablet will have a screen resolution capable of 720p HD. That means the typical 10 inch or smaller screen of 1024 x 600 pixes won't do. The next largest size is 1366 x 768, which would work fine.

The 1366 x 768 resolution is available in 10 inch, 11.6 inch and 12 inch LCD screens, but not in 8.9 inch or 7 inch displays. Let's assume Apple wants to make the tablet as easy to carry as possible, so that means the Apple Tablet will have a 10 inch screen!

I found a few netbooks with 10 inch, 1366 x 768 pixel displays. These are traditional clamshell netbook designs.
Viliv S10 Blade (convertible to tablet mode)
Fujitsu LifeBook MH380
Asus Eee PC 1005 HR
Sony Vaio W series
HP Mini 210 HD
HP Mini 110, Mini 2140, w/ optional screen
Dell Mini 10 w/ optional screen

Intel's Atom N450 processor lacks the ability to show HD content smoothly, so the 1366 x 768 screen should be paired with a Broadcom Crystal HD Enhanced Video Accelerator or Nvidia Ion graphics coprocessor.

Here's a video that shows what a 10 inch Apple Tablet might look like. The device is made by Compal, the big Taiwanese OEM. It employs the new Nvidia Tegra 2 dual core processor, HD resolution screen, and Android unix operating system. Change the case to aluminum and white plastic, put an Apple logo on the back, and voilà!

http://www.youtube.com/v/J2QAZUUYD2Y

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
No need to wait for the official announcement about the Apple Tablet tomorrow. Craig McGraw, CEO of McGraw Hill publishing, told an interviewer on CNBC today that the Apple Tablet is real, and that it runs a version of the iPhone OS.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/26...-tablet-iphone-os-based-going-to-be-terrific/

So it's likely that the 100,000+ applications developed for the iPhone will work on the Apple Tablet, although new versions of the apps optimized for the tablet will undoubtedly be released in time.

The iPhone uses an ARM processor design, produced by Samsung. Apple can choose from several suppliers for the processor in the Tablet. At this point, the Qualcomm Snapdragon (single core) and the NVidia Tegra 2 (dual core) would be likely frontrunners.

Another feature to watch for in the Tablet announcement is the screen type. Multi-touch is likely, since the iPhone uses some multi-touch commands (pinch to zoom in, for example). It's possible that the Tablet will have a screen that's legible in bright daylight, like the E-Ink screen used in the Kindle. Or maybe Pixel Qi's new screen will be used. In grayscale mode, the screen is legible in direct sunlight. Switched to full color mode when indoors, the screen shows colors like other laptops do.

Related to screen type is the computer's ability to digitize pen input from the screen. This process is called "digital ink" by Microsoft, which introduced the service in Windows XP in 2002. The touch-enabled screen in most tablets is used for navigation and typing on a virtual keyboard. You can't take notes or make a drawing on one of these screens. A tablet with digital ink capability can save your pen input, and in some cases, can translate your handwriting into text.

Another feature Apple might add to the Tablet is voice recognition. Voice control and digital ink are ways to make the computer more useful when you can't sit and use a conventional keyboard.

I'm also looking for Apple to announce a docking station, perhaps with built-in keyboard, or perhaps with a Bluetooth connection to the keyboard and mouse introduced with the new iMacs.

26 hours to go!

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
enter the iPad

The Apple Tablet is real, and will be called the iPad. It has a 9.7 inch color multi-touch screen, is only half an inch thick, and weighs 1..5 lbs.

Pricing starts at $499 with 16 GB flash disk. Top of the range is $829, which buys you 64 GB of storage and a 3G modem (AT&T in USA).

iPads without the 3G modem will be available in 60 days. With 3G, 90 days.

Maybe the most interesting part of the announcement is the deal Apple has with AT&T: Unlimited 3G data service for $30 a month. No contract is required. Each month is prepaid. All iPads are unlocked, so they can be used with GSM carriers worldwide by changing the SIM card.

No mention was made of AT&T voice service via the iPad.

Lots more details to come shortly.

Rando

Explorer
As a bit of a tech weanie, I am not overly impressed by the iPad. It really doesn't seem to fill a particular need except web surfing on the couch. As far as the overland community is concerned it doesn't look like it will be that useful. No built in GPS (I think) so you would need to add one (I am not sure how, bluetooth?). No SD/CF card slot for adding maps or downloading photographs. No USB connectivity for external device (Printer, OBDII, card reader etc). Doesn't run a full fledged or open operating system, so existing mapping apps won't work on it. While I definitely like the concept of a table computer, the iPad is no the one I am going to buy.

Besides having a much larger screen it doesn't look like it really does anything more than my iPhone.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As a bit of a tech weanie, I am not overly impressed by the iPad. It really doesn't seem to fill a particular need except web surfing on the couch. As far as the overland community is concerned it doesn't look like it will be that useful. No built in GPS (I think) so you would need to add one (I am not sure how, bluetooth?). No SD/CF card slot for adding maps or downloading photographs. No USB connectivity for external device (Printer, OBDII, card reader etc). Doesn't run a full fledged or open operating system, so existing mapping apps won't work on it. While I definitely like the concept of a table computer, the iPad is no the one I am going to buy.

Besides having a much larger screen it doesn't look like it really does anything more than my iPhone.

You don't think there is enough coach surfer in the US to buy this product...?

:)

Also, you think Apple will release all the great stuff on the first edition...at which Iphone version are we right now?

I can already predict another huge Apple success. I should have bought stocks.

Rando

Explorer
I am not saying it is not going to be a financial success for apple. I am just saying it has its limitations for my use (and I assume for a lot of other folks here). I also don't think it is a game changer.

It is true that a future version maybe better, but I think a lot of the omissions and limitations are deliberate and not technological issues. In all the iterations of the iphone they still have not added an SD card slot or allowed interaction with peripherals, nor have they allowed access to the operating system. I still have an iPhone, and I like it, but it is not going to replace my laptop or my netbook or even my GPS and neither will an iPad.

You don't think there is enough coach surfer in the US to buy this product...?

:)

Also, you think Apple will release all the great stuff on the first edition...at which Iphone version are we right now?

I can already predict another huge Apple success. I should have bought stocks.

Navman

Adventurer
As a bit of a tech weanie, I am not overly impressed by the iPad.

That's why this thing will sell like crazy. They are making it for non-techies like me.

While not perfect, I think it is better than most people expected (especially the price). I'll buy an iPhone once the 4G is out and probably an iPad a couple of versions from now once the real goodies are included.

Strizzo

Explorer

its got what looks like a dock connector on the lower edge, so i'm sure you'll be able to attach various peripherals to it. also, if its connected to a wifi network, i don't see why you couldn't transfer across that if you wanted.

Rando

Explorer
It is my impression that the dock is similar to that on an iphone, which does not allow you to attach much in the way of peripherals. I could be wrong but I don't think it has a USB host. You could transfer across wifi, but that would require wifi enabled peripherals. To compare to the iPhone again, consider using an OBDII reader. With the iphone (and I am assuming with the iPad) the only solution is to use a Wifi OBDII reader at a cost of $150 as opposed to a USB OBDII reader at a cost of $30.

its got what looks like a dock connector on the lower edge, so i'm sure you'll be able to attach various peripherals to it. also, if its connected to a wifi network, i don't see why you couldn't transfer across that if you wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk