AT Flip Pac Coming Along....

el_topu

Adventurer
218bb3e87a7a0923461541ef825f84e2.jpg

So much space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dman93

Adventurer
I suspect the detail design and quality will be much better than FRP's product. However, the way we use our truck, we keep more gear near the tailgate (not a believer - yet - in cabinets) which makes stuff more accessible while on the road, at short stops when the FlipPac is not raised (or on day trips where the FlipPac stays closed). When we've got the FlipPac flipped, that leaves some room for a step near the forward bed wall, to climb up into the loft. With this configuration, we'd have to rethink our layout, which is heavily influenced by carrying bikes fork-mounted to a holder just a few inches back from the tailgate. I guess if there's enough room to crawl in the tailgate between the two bikes, there's enough room to climb up.

On another note, I really don't like the way the FRP FlipPac uses a second fabric sheet to hold up the tent when it's closed. It's fussy to use and sags just enough to interfere with the load underneath. I'm assuming this new AT design will be similar to their and UrsaMinor's Jeep product. Does anyone know how that works? I haven't been able to find good details on the web.

-dman93

DVexile

Adventurer
Super neat! So happy to see this coming together. I see as many suspected with the flip-back design they were able to go with regular old pneumatic supports for the lift assist instead of a torsion bar. Tent design looks super functional, like the interior pockets. That tent window awning looks well thought out for ventilation in the rain. So many well thought out details here.

As to the flip back aspect I think for my configuration I'm preferring the flip forward implementation of the original Flip-Pac - especially for a 5' bed. The ledge on the Flip-Pac is actually very functional and I prefer the "flow-through" layout when open for a variety of reasons. My interior is just a simple raised floor and I imagine with a full build out of cabinets and benches this would probably be less of an issue. Right now I use my Yeti cooler as the step up and I prefer that being situated at the front of the bed where it gets minimum sun exposure. Really though it could be moved to the rear and still act as a step for the flip-back design in camp. Still, the whole access and flow seems a little less smooth with the flip back design.

Regardless, awesome looking product and I think with AT's attention to detail, excellent quality and service these things are going to sell like hot-cakes. The whole Flip-Pac design concept really needed another player in the market given FRP's spotty track record. You likely won't see my Flip-Pac on the used market anytime soon but I still really, really want to see the AT product for a 5' bed in person one of these days.

Clutch

<---Pass
Can it be order to flip either way?

How much clearance is there when it is in the open position between the roof and ground, is it going to be easy to walk under or are you at risk cracking your head on the roof?

With the Wildernest flipping to the side, you couldn't walk under it.

Or is it up high enough like this Jeep Earthroamer.

EJS_%20%20211.jpg

Last edited:
I would imagine that the majority of the customers it is intended for will have at least mild lifts on their trucks so it should be fine for most people to walk under. Maybe in the future they will offer a flip forward option again, if they sell enough units.

Clutch

<---Pass
I would imagine that the majority of the customers it is intended for will have at least mild lifts on their trucks so it should be fine for most people to walk under. Maybe in the future they will offer a flip forward option again, if they sell enough units.

I run a lift on mine (OME), when loaded down it rides about stock height.

Also wonder how much suspension movement is going to be having it cantilevered
off the back so far, if you roll around in your sleep is it going to feel like you are on a
spring board?

Heck, I know I sleep like a baby....toss and turn, cry and scream most of the night. :p

Last edited:

Forrest Thorniley

I was wondering that as well. Why not just have flip down support posts for the platform? Built in canopy with optional side screen wall/screen zip ons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater