AT Flip Pac Coming Along....

Clutch

<---Pass
I like it. One thing about the Flipac most married guys can probably get funds approval from the boss for one. But a full on FWC lol might require more body parts stowed in the wifes hand bag. ;-)

Ha ha... We looked at the FWC's, she didn't like it, felt too claustrophobic to her. She likes the FP's...said it feels like being in airy treehouse.

Last edited:

Forrest Thorniley

I like it. One thing about the Flipac most married guys can probably get funds approval from the boss for one. But a full on FWC lol might require more body parts stowed in the wifes hand bag. ;-)

I can attest to this! I think a FWC would be sweet if I had a dedicated camping rig and that kinda cash. I think the flippac is great though, as it is light, and allows full functionality of the truck bed for those of us who use them as a daily driver. Unfortunately I have no place to store a FWC at my house nor do I like taking one on/off all the time. You barely even notice the flippac.

Clutch

<---Pass

I can attest to this! I think a FWC would be sweet if I had a dedicated camping rig and that kinda cash. I think the flippac is great though, as it is light, and allows full functionality of the truck bed for those of us who use them as a daily driver. Unfortunately I have no place to store a FWC at my house nor do I like taking one on/off all the time. You barely even notice the flippac.

I have been contemplating on getting a shell FWC, but I don't want that kind of weight...nor can you still use the truck...like truck with it on.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just a side note TFL did the Mileage loop test with the Diesel canyon. 5600lb 3horse trailer. Just over 12mpg. A flipac on that rig could probably beat my Subaru average mileage on the same road trip. Especially if bikes are stowed under the Flipac vs roof racked.

Clutch

<---Pass
Just a side note TFL did the Mileage loop test with the Diesel canyon. 5600lb 3horse trailer. Just over 12mpg. A flipac on that rig could probably beat my Subaru average mileage on the same road trip. Especially if bikes are stowed under the Flipac vs roof racked.

What type of milage are they getting unladen?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What type of milage are they getting unladen?
Still waiting for TFL to do that test. Various reviewers have commented 30-34 highway and mid 20s around town. Not bad considering my 2.5L Subaru typically does 21-24mpg around town and 28-32 on highway.

Clutch

<---Pass
Still waiting for TFL to do that test. Various reviewers have commented 30-34 highway and mid 20s around town. Not bad considering my 2.5L Subaru typically does 21-24mpg around town and 28-32 on highway.
Thanks.

Too bad they don't offer it in the body configuration I like, or I might give it a try.

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Ha ha... We looked at the FWC's, she didn't like it, felt too claustrophobic to her. She likes the FP's...said it feels like being in airy treehouse.
I've never been inside an FWC but the FlipPac (I own one) is certainly airy. Honestly, I just can't see the value proposition in the FWC. Heavier, less roomy both for camping or for hauling stuff if your truck is a daily driver. With the new AT Habitat hopefully solving FRP's little design and quality issues, and providing a waterproof tent without needing a fly, I think not only does FRP have competition, do does FWC.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've never been inside an FWC but the FlipPac (I own one) is certainly airy. Honestly, I just can't see the value proposition in the FWC. Heavier, less roomy both for camping or for hauling stuff if your truck is a daily driver. With the new AT Habitat hopefully solving FRP's little design and quality issues, and providing a waterproof tent without needing a fly, I think not only does FRP have competition, do does FWC.

Willing to bet AT is not going to be able to build them fast enough. :D

ib4elk

This is exactly what I have been looking for and hope they build these for a full size pickup! One question I would have is for the air springs in the back that help assist lifting the lid back. Most of the pictures seem to be out in the dessert and such but where I typically end up going, it can get pretty tight and tend to scratch the crap out of my truck - glad that is what I bought it for. Seems the air springs could could get ripped off pretty easy by the right branch? Thoughts?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
This is exactly what I have been looking for and hope they build these for a full size pickup! One question I would have is for the air springs in the back that help assist lifting the lid back. Most of the pictures seem to be out in the dessert and such but where I typically end up going, it can get pretty tight and tend to scratch the crap out of my truck - glad that is what I bought it for. Seems the air springs could could get ripped off pretty easy by the right branch? Thoughts?

The air spring is very robust with a .55" rod and a 1.1" body. Similar to struts used on vehicle lift gates but on steroids. The attachment points are .25" thick. The tree branches won't stand a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues