AT Flip Pac Coming Along....

Eazy.E

PNW Wanderer
Personally if the flip back configuration required vertical supports I don't think it would be as desired. Having it all self contained and free standing is the way to go. With Flippacs its not a big deal to me because the vertical uprights are within the footprint of the truck. I built my current rear awning with this in mind; not needing vertical poles; no need for tie out anchors, less likely to get ran into/ damaged, no additional set up.

I would prefer the flip forward configuration myself but a lot of people have shown more interest in a flip back design on expo. Having said that I would take either or and if I do not ever come across an AT flippac there is a good chance ill be on the list for one of these :) All Aluminum would be awesome

Cant wait to see what the pricing is, I know they were saying it was supposed to be similar to the AT flippacs.

Last edited:

Steamboater

They just posted this one - looks like angled supports and enough headroom for "standard" tailgate window although does look a little low

12715693_1126056430759010_5467363506573556560_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
They just posted this one - looks like angled supports and enough headroom for "standard" tailgate window although does look a little low

12715693_1126056430759010_5467363506573556560_n.jpg

Wonder of you can stand under it prep meals and such without being height deficient. Like the system they have for their Habitat. Looks like I see a stove on the swing out.

jkrear2__05828.1405342051.451.416.jpg

Being built of aluminum I could see building some barn doors for it and getting rid of the tail gate/hatch! Fortunately I'm a A&P and have access to material, fasteners and skill set (not my skills).

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
My design on a stock ram 1500 4x4 is 6'3 from the ground. the back window is close and does cause some interesting clearance issues getting in and out but not bad.

and I agree with the Flow being weird..but I step on the side rails and up and in...down I just scoot to the edge and drop down 18in..

still loving the idea and practicality

I run a lift on mine (OME), when loaded down it rides about stock height.

Also wonder how much suspension movement is going to be having it cantilevered
off the back so far, if you roll around in your sleep is it going to feel like you are on a
spring board?

Heck, I know I sleep like a baby....toss and turn, cry and scream most of the night. :p

Yeah, i guess its kind of hard for me to imagine since I have my old dodge and that bastard is tall at stock height. But one thing someone mentioned, if true, may be a game changer for many. If they offer the framing and flip mechanism as a rtt of sorts, people will be able to make their own forward or rear facing flip.

dman93

Adventurer
IMO if you can't walk under the back or stand there to cook under shade/rain shelter, that's a major flaw. As I posted earlier, what some others have called the "flow" of the FRP FlipPac does work, and the "zero footprint" is also useful, though I could accept a 6 or 7 foot extension in back when camping. It's the details and quality that are the FRP product's weakness (and yes, I own one). But I won't jump to conclusions ... between AT and UrsaMinor, who I believe had a major role in this new camper, there are some pretty smart people. One other thing: one of the FlipPac's major features at least for me, is that it's a useful camper shell for keeping things hidden, dry and secure, or for stealth camping. To me that is a huge advantage over something like an FWC or a bed rack with RTT. For me, and I think others, that means no (or at least removable) cabinets, drawers or platforms. My truck hauls a bed full of tools, lumber, mountain bikes etc several times a week and is only popped up every few months. I hope this new product retains that versatility.

DVexile

Adventurer
If they offer the framing and flip mechanism as a rtt of sorts, people will be able to make their own forward or rear facing flip.

It appears that would only work on a full size bed on a full size truck. The opening mechanism is a pivoting pneumatic support which needs to have its lower mount directly below the hinge. So no way for it to work on any bed that requires an "overhang" up by the cab. It also means that even on a full size once open the supports would prevent the rear cab doors from opening.

One other thing: one of the FlipPac's major features at least for me, is that it's a useful camper shell for keeping things hidden, dry and secure, or for stealth camping. To me that is a huge advantage over something like an FWC or a bed rack with RTT. For me, and I think others, that means no (or at least removable) cabinets, drawers or platforms. My truck hauls a bed full of tools, lumber, mountain bikes etc several times a week and is only popped up every few months. I hope this new product retains that versatility.

From the pictures so far it looks like it has that same versatility, it is when closed just a shell. And I agree that is a key advantage of this kind of product. I've done a simple raised floor in my build which gives storage underneath for lots of camping gear and a completely open floor plan above where some action packers and a cooler can go. I initially thought this might be a temporary solution while I decided on a more complicated build out but now I'm certain I will stick with this, it is way more versatile. And yes, for me when solo the stealth camp option is great. Looks like this new design will still provide those benefits.

Curious to see how big the rear window is, I like that the Flip Pac one is rather tall. With my 3" lift my head clears under it easily and it allows enough space for easy entry over my 9" raised floor.

Anyway, enough with the blurry teaser photos! Show us the details!

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Anyone notice the missing hammock? Maybe the mattress has a hard bottom panel and sits on those side- mounted aluminum angles. Without the weight of the mattress on the lid, flipping it open would be easier.

Another possible advantage of this design is being able to keep the load on the cab roof rack. I obviously had to take the cargo containers off the roof to pop the top.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, i guess its kind of hard for me to imagine since I have my old dodge and that bastard is tall at stock height.

Tacomas are kinda low, even with a lift. 2.5" on mine.

When I had my Wildernest I couldn't walk under it. (lost all my pics of that setup) but here is an example.

attachment.php

Another good height comparison with a FP, guessing he is over 6'.

DSCF7585_JPG.jpg

DVexile

Adventurer
Looks great!

How is the opening/closing actually accomplished by the user? I don't see any obvious handles. Is the aluminum support and its attachment to the middle roof rack bar what is used?

Five foot design basically the same but with a longer overhang in the front?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like it. One thing about the Flipac most married guys can probably get funds approval from the boss for one. But a full on FWC lol might require more body parts stowed in the wifes hand bag. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues