Auxiliary fans in front of the radiator?

winkosmosis

Explorer
Unfortunately I can't do anything until I figure out how to withdraw the money from my simple IRA. I'm literally broke, I don't even have any credit left, and my job just barely pays my bills. Hawaii is an expensive place to live.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Got some cash from my simple IRA! First thing I'll do is replace the radiator cap. What about the thermostat? Is it easy to replace and does it require draining coolant?

For the cost of a flush I'm wondering if I should upgrade my radiator at the same time. Then again once shipping to Hawaii is factored in that may not be worth it.

alexfm

Explorer
Got some cash from my simple IRA! First thing I'll do is replace the radiator cap. What about the thermostat? Is it easy to replace and does it require draining coolant?

For the cost of a flush I'm wondering if I should upgrade my radiator at the same time. Then again once shipping to Hawaii is factored in that may not be worth it.

I cant testify to how easy it is to actually replace it but from the armchair perspective, all you have to do is remove the upper radiatior hose and heater hose from the thermostat housing, undo 3 or 4 bolts (i cant remember how many there are, you may have to loosen the belt to get to the bottom bolt), and pop it off. At least that's waht my dad told me. Im in the process of accumulating parts to replace, and the thermostat and thermostat housing gasket are close to the top of the list. :) I hope this helps.

alex.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Thanks, I'll try to find it.

I was reading this thread http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1034027&highlight=overheating

Looks like you're supposed to use RTV or something to help the gasket get a better seal. I wonder if silicone grease would work.

BTW are you supposed to use green or red coolant? The stuff I have now is red. I'm still trying to figure out why Chrysler says not to use propylene glycol. The specific heat is almost the same and the boiling point is only 3°C lower

Last edited:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Thanks, I'll try to find it.

I was reading this thread http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1034027&highlight=overheating

Looks like you're supposed to use RTV or something to help the gasket get a better seal. I wonder if silicone grease would work.

BTW are you supposed to use green or red coolant? The stuff I have now is red. I'm still trying to figure out why Chrysler says not to use propylene glycol. The specific heat is almost the same and the boiling point is only 3°C lower

Use a new gasket, and some Permatex aviation form-a-gasket. For what the housing costs, replacing it might not be a bad idea. Likewise replacing the hoses while you're at it. And, a new radiator cap.

Ironwagon

NAPA has a bunch of different thermostats listed for a 1999 XJ. How do you know which one to get?? EDIT: Just realized the different PNs correspond to different temps. The 195F is THM 530090

Can you get one at the dealer?
I've used Robertshaw thermostats with success over the years, and Napa carries some good stuff too. But the local dealer has the factory thermostat for around $10.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I don't think I'm going to tackle the tstat myself. I'm really not supposed to work on the Jeep in the driveway. The landlady was just outside yelling at her kid for his friend starting a fire in the house so she's not going to be in a good mood this weekend :1888fbbd:
I don't have all my tools anyway.

So I think I'll buy a radiator cap, thermostat, coolant, and distilled water, and head to the mechanic if they're open tomorrow (King Kamehameha Day).

XXXpedition

Explorer
i solved the overheating problem after many different tries with a radiator from alumrad.com.
the engine never ran hot after that - not ideling, not on steep hills, not in the outback of Oz...

it just stayed at a nice temp all the time!
should be about $200

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't have much to add but... man that's why I like those old Jeep engines. The Rover engine woulda blown a head gasket and/or dropped a liner WAY before 275!

winkosmosis

Explorer
Ouch!! $200 for flush and an hour of labor for tstat ($110/hr). For $300 it seems wrong to keep the crummy old radiator, hoses, etc.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Very good news; however - My buddy replaced his radiator in his Nissan (same principle) in 30 minutes...it's pretty easy. Drain it, unplug it, pull out, put in new, replug it in, fill it and test it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal