Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

TexasSpeedRacer

Mr. Scherb...you have out done yourself again.

Couple of thoughts/suggestions...

1) Would it be possible to move the Alpine Windows forward on the roof so they would functional when heading up a mountain switchback?

2) Over the Driver/Passenger area- a removable panel or Targa Panel.

3) Are you building this JK version for a 3rd party to produce (similar in process to your GR8Tops LJ Version)?

Thank you for sharing your work, looking forward to the finished product.

TSR

naked

Any chance of this having a pop up camper version?

Such as
76533c4e45b3393949b7290fdf73e60d.jpg

IMO the tapered front makes the pop up top look much more reasonable. The Ursa Minor tops looks crazy bulky in the front in person.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Mr. Scherb...you have out done yourself again.

Couple of thoughts/suggestions...

1) Would it be possible to move the Alpine Windows forward on the roof so they would functional when heading up a mountain switchback?

I've got several other design variations I'm working on, some of which have windows in different places in the roof. As soon as I get the cardstock mockups done I can post photos of those if people are interested.

2) Over the Driver/Passenger area- a removable panel or Targa Panel.
I've been thinking about that. Not sure I want to do a removable panel, although I have worked out a design that should be leak free :). Perhaps a provision for mounting a sunroof or a commercial removable panel.

3) Are you building this JK version for a 3rd party to produce (similar in process to your GR8Tops LJ Version)?
It's too early to talk about production ;).

Thank you for sharing your work, looking forward to the finished product.

TSR
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any chance of this having a pop up camper version?

Such as
76533c4e45b3393949b7290fdf73e60d.jpg

IMO the tapered front makes the pop up top look much more reasonable. The Ursa Minor tops looks crazy bulky in the front in person.

I've just finished building a prototype of a tilt-up camper based on my fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit and my "TrailTop" modular trailer topper component system (http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ot-modular-trailer-topper-building-components)...

RtWindowOpen_zpse8c2c805.jpg

One variant I'm considering is a clamshell roof top tent:

ClamshellRTT_zps7ab241f0.jpg

All of the design work I've done on the above projects applies directly if I were to build a tilt-up camper version of the JK Safari Cab, but I don't know if there's enough demand for for two tilt-up JK camper tops to be on the market :).

Last edited:

p8ntbill2

Have you ever thought of using the OEM rear glass in barn door configuration. Designing brackets to mount the glass to the tail gate?
Bill

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This morning I got the wiper installed. On the left it's parked, on the right is full travel.

JKWiper1_zps8d0dc46a.jpg

Here's a video of it in action:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The storage space in the higher roof can be used in a bunch of ways, here are some photos taken inside my LJ Safari Cab...

There's enough room above the roll bars to store half door uppers.. this one is propped up with a stick in this photo because I was just testing to see how well it fit; it wouldn't be hard to put in something to hold them in place up there.

HalfDoorStorage.jpg

Or storage nets could go above the roll bars.

NetUpper1.jpg

Usually when I'm running the soft sides instead of the hard sides I just roll them up and leave them in place, but if I want to remove them completely, I can store them on top of the roll bars:

SideCurtainStored-1.jpg

And I keep a fire extinguisher above the roll bar just above the driver's seat:

Extinguisher3.jpg

And besides all that, I'm 6'6", so the extra headroom is nice too :).

TexasSpeedRacer

Would it be possible for you to provide a picture of the fastening system you used to attach the sides (both hard and soft) to the LJ Safari Top?

Thanks in advance...

TSR

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would it be possible for you to provide a picture of the fastening system you used to attach the sides (both hard and soft) to the LJ Safari Top?

Thanks in advance...

TSR

I don't really have any close-up photos of those details, so I'll describe it. The hard panels bolt in place - to the tub (using the hardtop bolt holes), each other and to the underside of the roof. The soft sides are held in place at the bottom using the factory soft top retainers (the soft sides have a plastic strip sewn into the bottom just like the factory soft top), and at the top and front there are zipper strips that attach to the same bolt holes the hard sides bolt to. In this photo you can see a front zipper strip attached to the back of the door surround, and the top zipper strip is on top of the rolled up side panel. The roll-up side panels zip to the zipper strips at the top and front; and the roll-up sides zip to the roll-up rear panel. Does that answer your question well enough?

SideSwapTable1_zps27a38cdc.jpg

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I'm thinking you could build a straight bolt on receiver/hitch combo for jerry cans for the jk. Think of the factory jk hitch but on the side that uses existing holes in the frame.

TexasSpeedRacer

I don't really have any close-up photos of those details, so I'll describe it. The hard panels bolt in place - to the tub (using the hardtop bolt holes), each other and to the underside of the roof. The soft sides are held in place at the bottom using the factory soft top retainers (the soft sides have a plastic strip sewn into the bottom just like the factory soft top), and at the top and front there are zipper strips that attach to the same bolt holes the hard sides bolt to. In this photo you can see a front zipper strip attached to the back of the door surround, and the top zipper strip is on top of the rolled up side panel. The roll-up side panels zip to the zipper strips at the top and front; and the roll-up sides zip to the roll-up rear panel. Does that answer your question well enough?

I appreciate the insight. My concern is the soft top fabric wear at the hard top interface due to wind buffeting. Did you put gommets in the fabric, sandwich the fabric in metal/plastic strips, etc? Hope this makes sense, and sorry for hounding you on this, but as you know I have a hardtop project of my own I am planning.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy