Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Oh man...if you can make a 2dr camper/tent top I would be highly interested! The ursa minor always had my interest but they only do a 4dr top, which is worthless to me. A 2 door has plenty of room for an average sized person to lay down in. I am excited to see more pictures. Possible to make the top lift straight up? Rather than tip?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh man...if you can make a 2dr camper/tent top I would be highly interested! The ursa minor always had my interest but they only do a 4dr top, which is worthless to me. A 2 door has plenty of room for an average sized person to lay down in. I am excited to see more pictures. Possible to make the top lift straight up? Rather than tip?

I do have a design for a camper/tent top that works on the 2-dr JK, I'm just finishing up a drawing to explain it. Hopefully will get it posted tomorrow.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Over the weekend I was doing some design work on the JK Safari tilt-top camper design, and I ran acoss these photos of a concept camper that AEV built in the early days of the JK. AEV showed it at SEMA 2006, and it was at Moab in 2007, but I can't find out much more about it.

I found this interesting because the design work I was doing involves putting the pop-up on top of the factory hardtop. Yesterday I posted drawings of a Safari Cab pop-up roof, and I said I was working on another version that was form-fitted to the factory hardtop. This AEV unit seems to sit on the factory hardtop, and doesn't seem to have much structure protecting the roof - I wonder if that's why it never went to production? The design I've been working on has a bottom-half "clamshell" that sits on the roof and takes the load off the hardtop.

AEVCamper1_zpsbeb84c64.jpg

AEVCamper2_zps0f67aa1a.jpg

If anyone knows any more about this AEV concept, I'd love to hear about it.

I'll post my design drawings for the factory hardtop clamshell tilt-top shortly, I've got just a few measurements I want to verify.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
The Safari can concept would be neat on a mopar JK8 kit, but just with the door inserts welded in. A 2 door long wheel base, similar to your LJ safari cab

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Safari can concept would be neat on a mopar JK8 kit, but just with the door inserts welded in. A 2 door long wheel base, similar to your LJ safari cab

You could make your own J8 that way, except that the Safari Cab roof would be taller.

J8-1_zps9e984ec8.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Safari Cab roof panel could also be used as the top half of a clamshell tent to go on top of a factory hardtop. The AEV example I posted earlier looks like the bedding sits directly on the hardtop, or perhaps on a very thin platform, but I think it would be better to have a little more substantial platform to protect the factory hardtop roof from stress. The bottom half of the clamshell would only be a few inches thick, and it would be form-fitted to the roof, so when it's installed it would look like an extension of the roof. And unlike something like the Ursa Minor, it's removable, leaving the factory hardtop in place.

SafariClamshellJKUOff_zpsf67d1e0f.jpg

Installed and closed, the clamshell bottom adds a few inches the the overall height.

SafariClamshellJKUClosed_zps980bcf02.jpg

Open.

SafariClamshellJKUOpen_zps67884114.jpg

And because of the clamshell bottom, it could also be installed on a 2-dr, overhanging on the front, might have a bit of an EarthRoamer look, those also overhang in the front.

SafariClamshellJK2_zps2e7354cc.jpg

emkay

Observer
perfect 10 is all i say... add "invisible" reinforcement to cope with the load comparable to the AEV roof rack or the new RR rack and this is all one needs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
perfect 10 is all i say... add "invisible" reinforcement to cope with the load comparable to the AEV roof rack or the new RR rack and this is all one needs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reinforcements in the roof, including mount-through points for roof racks to tie them to the roll bars are definitely part of the design.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I love these tops (great design, hats off to you sir), and I'd love to see an LJ or JK turned into a 'J8' like you suggest with the taller top aye. That would be so cool.

I love "different" and I am about to drop an order for a 2015 Rubi 2-door. I came across this thread and then found GR8tops and their licensing of these. The LJ tops looks so damn cool and different that now I'm thinking of finding a low-mileage LJ just so I can get the hard safari top. But newer is better, so...

Any chance the JK ones will done by GR8tops?
Any chance the 4-dr versions can be remade into 2-dr versions?

If you can live with the 2dr's then get the LJ... It's one of the greatest Jeeps ever built IMO.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I love these tops (great design, hats off to you sir), and I'd love to see an LJ or JK turned into a 'J8' like you suggest with the taller top aye. That would be so cool.

The Safari Cab on the LJ makes a pretty good facsimile of the J8 (painting it olive drab instead of black would be perfect)...

L8-2_zps5be3340f.jpg

L8-1_zps0ade2d87.jpg

The JK Safari Cab would do the same thing for the JKU, except it would be 4dr. To turn the JKU into a proper J8, filler panels for the rear door openings to turn it into a 2dr would be a good idea.

TCook

I've been busy the past month and a half just wanted to give everyone a sneak peek of the assembled ModuluS barn door support.

I had a bit of a snafu with some hardware from the manufacturer but we got it resolved and I received it today.

So here it is, still have to finish installing the final screws but so far everything fits well. This has 3 molle packs installed on the left with two attached to the frame and one on the front of the top pack.

photo-770372.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy