Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Any special technique while using your jigsaw on steel? Do you put plywood underneath?
My one and only try to cut a steel sheet with a jigsaw that I screwed to a baseplate and used it in inverted position (upside-down) was really flappy and didn't work... :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any special technique while using your jigsaw on steel? Do you put plywood underneath?
My one and only try to cut a steel sheet with a jigsaw that I screwed to a baseplate and used it in inverted position (upside-down) was really flappy and didn't work... :)
I saw from the top with the cut line just out over the edge of the workbench so the metal is pressed between the benchtop and the foot of the jigsaw. I use a fine tooth bi-metal jigsaw blade (24-30 TPI) for most steel sheet metal. An 18-20 TPI blade is a good idea for 1/8 aluminum because aluminum will clog in the teeth; oil the blade frequently to prevent aluminum clogging the teeth.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Donny's barn door is finished and ready to install on his tailgate. In these photos it's mounted to a test tailgate in my workshop.

DonnyBarnDoorDone1_zps8riyxodo.jpg

DonnyBarnDoorDone2_zpsirqiglhb.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I spent some time at the sewing machine today making the roll-up soft sides. I finished the basic panels, tomorrow I'll make a few minor tweaks to them, add the windows and do the straps to hold them in the rolled-up position. Also in this photo are my half doors, I just finished converting to power locks (and power/heated mirrors on the fronts) but haven't painted yet.

PanelsNoWindows3_zpsdrlly8vb.jpg

RightSide1_zpszj54xpct.jpg

PanelsNoWindows2_zpsbgxgdwfa.jpg

In case you're wondering about the windows, the best process for adding windows to panels like this is to sew the panels and perfect the fit first, then sew the windows in place in the solid panels, and once they're sewed in place, then cut the hole for them. That way the panel retains its perfect fit during the sewing. Here's the procedure I use: https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Install-a-Vinyl-Window-in-Canvas-Video

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The roll-up soft sides are done but for one detail - deciding which color emblem to sew on. The hard sides have a dark brown decal and the darker embroidered emblem matches that, but the tan emblem looks nice too.

EmblemColors_zps4wlzluzy.jpg

FinalRoof2_zpsd1wck7mp.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Except for sewing on the emblem, the work on the soft sides is complete and since it's snowing out today I swapped the

full doors and hard sides back on. In the process I took photos of the various configurations...

SummerConfig1_zpsud9rplnj.jpg

SummerConfig2_zpsjp9lwlle.jpg

FallConfig1_zps77uraq41.jpg

FallConfig2_zpsspdbkrjy.jpg

WinterConfig_zps3xbvcxvy.jpg

I'll sew the emblems on tomorrow.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't mean to sound superficial, but I can't believe how much better that jeep looks with the regular doors!
Maybe you'll feel differently when the half doors are painted to match the body and the half door uppers are painted too.

SpiceUppers2_zps1azjrkxe.jpg

BodyColorUppers_zpsjmeqti6p.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Finishing touch: the emblems are sewn on.

EmblemsSewn_zpsjlmdvhxp.jpg

I plan to sew a storage bag for the soft sides and related parts for when they're off the Jeep, but other than that the soft sides are complete and ready for use.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Since the soft sides won't be on the Jeep all the time, I sewed storage bags for them. I sewed two bags - one is for the attachment components - the c-pillars and the zipper strips and their retainers. It's got separate pockets to make it easy to keep similar-looking left and right parts separate and to keep the painted c-pillars from getting scratched.

The second bag is for the soft side panels themselves. Unlike the first bag, which is primarily used for storage of the components when the soft sides aren't in use (like during the winter when the hard sides are in use), this bag will be carried in the Jeep for times when rather than rolling the side panels up and leaving them on the Jeep, I'll just unzip them and store them inside. This bag also includes a fabric sheet that goes between the two side panels as they're rolled up, it will prevent any scratching, and for convenience in rolling up the two panels it's got velcro on it to attach to the velcro that's already on the panels. This one has a drawstring closure; the other bag has velcro closures.

Since it's winter now, the soft sides will live in these two bags for the next several months.

SoftSidesBags1_zpsmvoso1wv.jpg

SoftSidesBags2_zps0a8lhrpk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach