Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more concept images I haven't posted here before.

Many of the concepts I've drawn have the Safari Cab painted in body color; here's one in "hardtop black".

SafariJKBlackTop_zps531db1a3.jpg

This one is a JK-8 version of the Safari Cab, with swing-up side panels. Because the Safari Cab has integrated roof-rack support, a Maggiolina roof-top tent mounts right up.

JK8SwingUp4a_zpscc408b20.jpg

The same one, but the Maggiolina and the swing-up side panels are closed.

JK8SwingUp4b_zpsbe8c261b.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I made the molds for the JK Safari Cab side panels, I made the window openings the same size as those in the later model factory hardtops. I did this so that any windows that got made for the Safari Cab, for example sliders, could also be adapted to the later model factory hardtops.

For the first set of prototype Safari Cab side panels, I installed something a little more custom than sliders - I did kick-out windows that I had from an old Toyota FJ40 hardtop:

Mockup7_zps27bed674.jpg

The Toyota windows almost certainly wouldn't be in a production version, most likely a production version would have RV-style sliders or perhaps swing-up windows. I found a source for very affordable sliders in small quantities the other day, as as a test I made up a mockup of the frame in poster board to see how it might fit on the Safari Cab side panel. At left is the panel with the Toyota windows, at right I've overlaid the mockup frame.

JKSideSliderTest_zps33e852df.jpg

I'll probably order a pair of these windows and mold a second set of Safari Cab side panels to test fit them in.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday UPS delivered a set of early production JK Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges to me for testing.

Here they are on the workbench, compared to a factory hinge. The only difference between these early production hinges and the final production hinges will be the included hardware - the final hardware will all be stainless.

HingeCompare_zpsf07a1db5.jpg

Mounted on the test tailgate in the workshop:

HingesOnTailgate_zps7c463c04.jpg

I also tested my prototype CB Antenna Mount and Hi-Lift Carrier on the hinges; the other day I sent the engineering drawings for both to the company so they can gear up to manufacture them, but I hadn't tried them on the production hinges yet so I had to do that.

CBAntennaMount_zpsffd1c33c.jpg

This next photo shows the Hi-Lift and the CB Antenna mounts both installed. I've also got my shovel attached to the shaft of the jack with Quick-Fist clamps.

HiLiftAntennaShovel_zps6dcbfe4f.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Gr8Tops, the company that manufactures and markets the TJ/LJ Safari Cab, posted some photos on their Facebook page of TJ Safari Cab in white they installed for a customer; being white, it made me want to compare it side-by-side with the white 2dr JK Safari Cab concept...

WhiteTJCompare_zpseba0e852.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If I remember correctly there was an older mini van (maybe Toyota) that had remote controlled kick-out rear windows. I *think* they ran off cables. Would be a fun option to add with the cables running along the top to the front (like flap controls on an airplane). :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If I remember correctly there was an older mini van (maybe Toyota) that had remote controlled kick-out rear windows. I *think* they ran off cables. Would be a fun option to add with the cables running along the top to the front (like flap controls on an airplane). :beer:

If you (or anyone) knows what make/model/year that would be from I'll keep an eye out in the u-pull junkyard. If I find one I could grab the parts and give it a try.

AZJim

Observer
The early Dodge/Plymouth minivans had cable operated swing out rear side windows. Look for eighties models, not sure when they switch to electric ones. They had round knobs mounted in the ceiling to open the windows.

Jim

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The early Dodge/Plymouth minivans had cable operated swing out rear side windows. Look for eighties models, not sure when they switch to electric ones. They had round knobs mounted in the ceiling to open the windows.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll keep my eyes open for them when I'm browsing the u-pull. Electric ones would be cool to experiment with too, I'll keep an eye out for those as well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A common mod done to Land Rover Defenders for camping/overlanding us is to turn the rear side windows of the hardtop into cargo compartments. In the LR world they call them Gullwing Doors, over here I'd call them swing-up hatches :).

DefenderGullwing_zpsd280aa9f.jpg

One of the nice things about the modularity of the Safari Cab is that it's really easy to have different configurations. You've seen the flip-out vent windows I've put in the first set of prototype Safari Cab side panels, and I've also got a pair of slider windows ordered - when they come in I'll just mold a second pair of side panels to install them in. That way I can configure the hardtop with either the side panels with the flip-out vent windows, or the side panels with the sliders.

I think I'll mold a third set of side panels, because I've found a source for inexpensive "gull wings". I haven't ordered them yet, but probably will pick up a pair to experiment with both access to the rear cargo area through the hatch, and with installing a box "cabinet" in the hardtop wall like the Land Rover examples in the photos above.

CargoHatch_zpseff5ed2a.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

Jim

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks Jim! :beer:

A couple of levers labeled "flaps" coming down from the center front of the top would be awesome! :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks Jim! :beer:

A couple of levers labeled "flaps" coming down from the center front of the top would be awesome! :)

A common RV window style is the crank-out, although all of the ones I've seen are hinged horizontally, not vertically like a minivan window. I think that's probably so that they can be open in the rain in an RV. I would guess an RV window company could make a vertically hinged one.

This is a typical RV crank-out, on the inside photo (right) you can see the knob that's used to crank it out. Wouldn't be too hard to rig a motor to the crank shaft.

RVCrankOut_zps206cecaf.jpg

I probably won't pursue the RV-style crank-out idea, I expect the window styles people would want in their hardtop would be (in this order):

- sliders
- swing up and combo swing-up/sliders
- solid cargo door

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The other day UPS delivered a pair of slider windows...

WindowsArrived_zpsff4ea735.jpg

I'm going to testing them with the retrofit kit I've come up with for installation in a factory hardtop. I'll also be molding another set of JK Safari Cab side panels to install them in. Stay tuned.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I molded another set of JK Safari Cab side panels the other day and popped them out of the molds this morning. Here they are right after coming out of the molds, they haven't been trimmed yet and the mold release isn't washed off. They're sitting next to the first set, which have the kick-out vent windows installed.

SidePanels2_zps187bf30b.jpg

The next step is to trim up the edges and cut the hole for mounting the window; here's a shot of a slider window just sitting on the untrimmed panel.

SidePanels2w_zps6991beb5.jpg

The windows will mount directly in these side panels because the Safari Cab window mounting surface is flat, unlike the factory window mounting surface, which is curved.

Last edited:

rubicon91

Explorer
Oh boy I see you are back at it. Hope you guys had a safe trip back. Not too much snow!! Can't wait to see all the new progress.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Oh boy I see you are back at it. Hope you guys had a safe trip back. Not too much snow!! Can't wait to see all the new progress.

Yes, safe trip back, thanks. We got back on Sunday afternoon, and the first thing I did was put the plow on. It's been on all week, had to plow three times already. Looks like a few days coming without snow so I took the plow off this afternoon. Took this photo Sunday afternoon:

And this photo was taken 5 days earlier in the Florida Keys:

Keys2_zps6c802e89.jpg

Why did we come back? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy