Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I left the clear roof of the model hardtop unpainted, because on the Safari Cab when the roof isn't installed, it would look like this - just the upper door surrounds and the side and back panels (and ignore the clear part).

ModelPaintedNoRoof_zps931ae11a.jpg

And that would allow for the installation of the soft roof:

SafariModular3_zpsc97b7758.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Looking good Jeff. :beer:
I was just thinking about the soft roof design, and the popup. If the soft roof could share the same front seal, as the popup, that would be a much better seal against water intrusion than just using snaps. Would handle the occasional shower.
The modularity you are designing really fits great with the Jeep.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking good Jeff. :beer:
I was just thinking about the soft roof design, and the popup. If the soft roof could share the same front seal, as the popup, that would be a much better seal against water intrusion than just using snaps. Would handle the occasional shower.
The modularity you are designing really fits great with the Jeep.

Thank you very much.

The way I've designed the windshield header and the upper door surrounds, there will be a very good sealing surface for the roof, soft roof rails and tilt roof. There's also a vertical "drip dam" just inboard of the main sealing surface so that in the unlikely event anything does get past the primary seal, the dam will prevent it from dripping into the cabin.

Also, I've pulled my trailer many miles in the rain on the highway, and never had a problem with leakage. For the prototype I plan to get the same company to make the soft roof, so I'm sure it will perform well. But if it doesn't, there are steps that can be taken to make the tonneau cover even more weather resistant.

TwoTailgates_zps099d1272.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I *think* having it on your trailer is probably the best test for water tightness, as the turbulence would push water everywhere. :beer:
Totally forgot you had that, even though I drooled over the pictures of your trailer back when I first saw it... rofl

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Where to put the JK Safari Cab when it's off the Jeep? I did a test this morning.

Both side panels will fit under one single bed, and the end panel + barn door will also fit under a single bed. All would fit under a queen bed.

SafariCabStoring_zps8c6850b6.jpg

All that leaves is the roof, which is a bit too long to fit under most beds, so it'll have to store standing up against a garage wall. But since I run my LJ Safari roof panel in the warm months with the roll-up sides, I never need to store that anywhere, it's on the Jeep. I'll probably run my JK Safari Cab the same way.

SideSwapTable1_zps27a38cdc.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
If I could have those roll-up sides on a jeep as stock, whew, that would be an attractive selling point for me.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Where to put the JK Safari Cab when it's off the Jeep? I did a test this morning.

Both side panels will fit under one single bed, and the end panel + barn door will also fit under a single bed. All would fit under a queen bed.

All that leaves is the roof, which is a bit too long to fit under most beds, so it'll have to store standing up against a garage wall.

Or... it could double as the top for a Canopy Bed... ;)
How proud would our wives be if we took an interest in decorating the guest bedroom. :beer:

Septu

Explorer
So you're actually going to overlap the window frame (vs how the stock one butts up against it)?

A few shots of the 1/10 scale model roof. I haven't finished the trimming yet, so it's not fitting perfectly in these photos. There are a few flaws in this roof due to a resin issue, so rather than spend any more time trimming and fitting it, I'll mold another roof today and I'll spend the time fitting that one.

Mockups of the Alpine windows have been glued on to one side...

ModelRoof13_zpsdf167dd5.jpg

ModelRoof12_zps6e6ec628.jpg

ModelRoof11_zps505a714e.jpg

ModelRoof14_zpse71be46c.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So you're actually going to overlap the window frame (vs how the stock one butts up against it)?

That detail isn't correct on the model; the window frame on the Axial model is part of the tub and not the hardtop so I couldn't model that correctly because I don't have the tub and therefore don't have the model windshield frame.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Please tell me more about the JK Unlimited Safari Cab. Is this something that is going to be available?

More about the JK Safari Cab hardtop:

The JK Safari Cab is a design project I'm currently working on. It's a modular design, so that it can be configured in the different ways shown in the concept drawings in this thread - with removable side panels that can be replaced with roll-up soft side panels; with a removable roof panel that can be configured as a tilt-up camper top or replaced with a soft roof. It's got a side-swinging "barn door" on the back for easy access to the cargo area. It's got more visibility than the factory hardtop because it's got more windows - windows on each side of the barn door in the back, and "Alpine windows" in the roof. There's more interior room because the roof is taller than the factory hardtop roof. It also has integrated roof rack support, so things like roof-top tents can easily be installed on top without resorting to an exocage-style rack like you might have to use on the factory hardtop.

There are lots of concept drawings of the JKU and JK versions of the Safari Cab in this thread showing some of the possibly configurations like the soft sides, the tilt-up camper roof, roof-top tent, etc.

So far I've made molds for 4 components - the barn door, the rear panel, and the side panels. Next I have to make the roof mold; I've made a 1:10 scale model roof mold as a design test but haven't started work on the full scale roof mold yet.

The barn door, which is the original subject of this thread, is part of the Safari Cab project but is also compatible with both the factory hardtop and the Ursa Minor JK camper, so it could be used with those without the complete Safari Cab hardtop.

SafariCabParts1_zpsa6e00bde.jpg

Is it going to be available?

I don't know if it will be available commercially, I just do projects like this as a hobby, I am not in business to sell anything. A number of my prior fiberglass designs have been licensed by companies and are on the market, so it is possible this one will get licensed as well.

For now I'm just planning to build one for my own use (I don't have a JK so I can't even test the Safari Cab yet, someday I'll have to get a JK to put under my Safari Cab :)), and possibly a second one for someone else.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Since its a hobby, have fun and make me the one I want, and in exchange, I will supply some money for it. sounds like a fair trade!

rubicon91

Explorer
Jscherb when are you making that long drive down this way? Have safe travels. It was beach weather for last few days. Highs in 80s. Let me know when you get down here. I would love to see your jeep and put a face with your name. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jscherb when are you making that long drive down this way? Have safe travels. It was beach weather for last few days. Highs in 80s. Let me know when you get down here. I would love to see your jeep and put a face with your name. Safe travels.

Probably will be in SW FL the second two weeks of Jan, haven't set the exact dates yet. Likely to also make a side trip to Key West or somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy