Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Im running 33/12.50/15 Duratracs on aluminum wheels. They have a pretty good offset also so it hangs quite a ways from the tailgate on the stock holder. These new hinges will take care of that worry plus I'm confident I can add a hilift mount back there with no problem now.

So Tom mentioned a Hi-Lift; these hinges are designed so that various accessory carriers can be bolted to them easily; the photo below shows a Hi-Lift carrier on similar hinges on my LJ... we plan to do a Hi-Lift carrier for these JK hinges as well.

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When do you expect to have your first safari JKU top ready?

I don't have a firm target date at this point. The barn door is basically done, and I'm now working on the mold for the rear panel - I expect to have that done within the next few days and should be molding the first part by the end of the week. After that I'll do the molds for the side panels, that'll probably take a few weeks, and then I'll start on the roof molds.

At the same time I've got a few other projects I'm doing with a company that just signed up to market some of my Jeep accessory designs, and I'm also doing design work on two other JK fiberglass ideas and depending on how those designs develop I may decide to do some work them in parallel with the Safari Cab work; all that is why I don't have a firm target date for the JKU Safari Cab.

If there was a company knocking on my door wanting to bring the JKU Safari Cab to market then I'd probably have a target date :).

Jurfie

Adventurer
So Tom mentioned a Hi-Lift; these hinges are designed so that various accessory carriers can be bolted to them easily; the photo below shows a Hi-Lift carrier on similar hinges on my LJ... we plan to do a Hi-Lift carrier for these JK hinges as well.

Cool...I was wondering about a jerry can mount between the tire and the right tail light...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Cool...I was wondering about a jerry can mount between the tire and the right tail light...

I just mentioned that to Tom today as well... as soon as he gets his hinges painted and installed, I'm going to begin work on both a Hi-Lift carrier and a jerry can carrier that bolt to the hinges. I'll probably do the Hi-Lift carrier first, then the jerry can carrier.

BTW I have already done one jerry can carrier that works with the JK, it's the one mounted with the spare in the photo I posted earlier today. It works with the JK as well as TJ, YJ and CJ models. I'll have some news about the jerry can carrier and the heavy-duty hinges to report in about two weeks, stay tuned.

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the response on the increased height - I also think it would be handy. On the "alpine" windows - I like them but wonder about there value when they are used in the rear area which doesn't provide any seating - on the old series rovers they were forward for the rear passengers - right? On the discovery LR they were in the rear - but they had seats back there too.

I had a 1965 VW 21 window bus when I was in college - the roof windows (eight of them) were great - especially when sleeping in the back - it also had the huge sliding sunroof - so lots of options - but my favorite was the window right above my left shoulder while driving. Guess it would be hard to offer something like that unless the shape of the roof was much different...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the response on the increased height - I also think it would be handy. On the "alpine" windows - I like them but wonder about there value when they are used in the rear area which doesn't provide any seating - on the old series rovers they were forward for the rear passengers - right? On the discovery LR they were in the rear - but they had seats back there too.

I had a 1965 VW 21 window bus when I was in college - the roof windows (eight of them) were great - especially when sleeping in the back - it also had the huge sliding sunroof - so lots of options - but my favorite was the window right above my left shoulder while driving. Guess it would be hard to offer something like that unless the shape of the roof was much different...

The Alpine windows add a lot of light into the cabin, so I think the rearmost ones would be useful for the cargo area in the back, but the way I plan to make the mold for the roof panel, the roof can be assembled with any combination of Alpine windows to suit the needs of the particular Jeep. This paper concept model shows 0, 1 or 3 Alpine windows per side, and even though it's not shown, the roof could be done with only the Alpine windows above the rear doors and not the ones over the cargo area, it just depends on what someone wants or needs.

Also this model shows a sunroof, I'm debating whether to also add a provision for a sunroof panel over the second row of seats. I'm thinking that sunroofs with removable panels could be installed to give a bit of the open air roof feeling.

Safari0123_zps48cb1140.jpg

TCook

First I want to thank Jeff for his time and his help making up my set of hinges.

These are very impressive when you get them bolted on. The tailgate feels more secure and mine closes much easier than stock.

Now to some pics of them installed.

IMG_0141-791206.JPG

IMG_0139-788364.JPG

IMG_0143-794343.JPG

IMG_0148-799935.JPG

IMG_0145-796942.JPG

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Those look really nice, Tom and Jeff! I'd love a set, with a jerry can mount. :wings:

Tom and I are working on the design of an accessory rack for them. We're thinking options to hold:

- a jerry can or NATO can
- a Hi-Lift
- a Rotopax container
- A trail shovel

It wouldn't hold everything at once, for example a jerry/NATO can takes up enough room between the spare and the tail light that not much more would fit, but perhaps a Hi-Lift + shovel or + Rotopax at the same time.

Did we miss anything important?

Last edited:

TCook

In case you need another reason to change hinges....here's the amount of oxidation on mine and it's only a year old. If only Chrysler wouldn't cheap out and actually prime the surfaces before assembling for final paint.

IMG_0156-758740.JPG

Jurfie

Adventurer
Wow, that's disappointing to see. You'd think they'd at least put a gasket of some sort there. Hmm...I may do just that as preventative maintenance before winter hits. :Wow1:

greggNJ

Observer
The hinges look good! I was kinda hoping they would tie into the tire carrier because I'd like to be able to add a trail rack but they sure look solid.
Nice work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online