Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

squint

Adventurer
I didn't realize it was Smittybuilt when I first saw it. No comment there and no explanation needed. It looks a bit like a big marshmallo. I definitely prefer your top by the way. :)
I think Jeep owners will always pay for quality and those who don't will wish they would have later.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've always thought the point of a raised roof (a la Defender 110 or Troopie) is for the extra head room it provides when in the back.

Or the Jeep CJ-8/CJ-7 "World Cab" of the mid-80's...

world2_zpswz5gqt3c.jpg

Alex is now 6'6" and Robert (the smaller one in this photo) is now 6'7", so while they didn't need the headroom back when I had my Scrambler with a World Cab, they'd really need it now :).

DSCN2686_zpspp6orsca.jpg

DSCN4287_zpsg8hsokn6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Due to travel and other commitments, it's been a couple of months since I've been able to do any serious work on the JK Safari Cab. All that's really left of the construction phase is final fitting of the roof/windshield header/drip rail components and bonding them together, followed by the bonding the inner structure of the roof in place. I plan to get most of that done this week.

First the soft top comes off and the main components of the Safari Cab go on. This anim shows the sequence... upper door jambs, then side panels, then the rear panel:

SafariInstall1_zps1qmu8sht.gif

Now the drip rails and windshield header can be put in place and the roof fitted and bonded to them. In this photo the drop rails and windshield header are installed:

HeaderAndDripRails_zpslpladjru.jpg

The next step is bonding the roof and the windshield header together. When that's done, I'll install the latches on the roof so I can latch the front of the roof in place while doing the final fitting of the roof to the drip rails. More to come.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
JK Safari Cab progress report: Yesterday I bonded the windshield header to the inside of the roof panel, and today I got the latches installed.

HeaderAndClamps_zpsg7otaomc.jpg

Tomorrow's plan is to cut the holes for the Alpine windows and get the drip rails bonded to the bottom of the roof panel.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jeff. Wasn't sure if you maybe used some sort of automotive adhesive or something...

Sometimes I use automotive structural adhesive to bond things to fiberglass, sometimes epoxy and sometimes polyester resin+mat (this only if it's fiberglass being bonded to fiberglass as it was in this case), it depends on what I'm bonding and what the structural requirements are.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Still anxiously waiting to see the modular safari top in production Jeff. Mitt full of cash screaming JUST TAKE MY MONEY!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Still anxiously waiting to see the modular safari top in production Jeff. Mitt full of cash screaming JUST TAKE MY MONEY!
Three companies have expressed interest in it. Two I've ruled out for various reasons. The third seems to want to make some changes to the design, although they haven't made any final decisions on that or communicated to me which of the design changes they mentioned that they definitely would want to make. And I haven't decided yet if I really think it should be a commercial product anyway. I'll keep everyone posted.

In the meantime I'm still working to finish up the prototype, I'll get more done today and should have some photos to post later.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Cutting the rough openings for the Alpine windows. They'll be trimmed to final size after the roof is bonded to the drop rails, which is my next step.

AlpineRoughCut_zpskxq9ayrp.jpg

More photos to come later today.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few photos of the roof bonded to the drip rails. When the adhesive cures, I'll unbolt the drip rails from the top of the side/end panels and upper jambs, and the roof assembly will lift off in one piece - roof panel/drip rails/windshield header. I'm bonding it in place on the Jeep to ensure an exact fit.

RoofBonding1_zpslahz8h2d.jpg

RoofBonding2_zpsowzuwtvg.jpg

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks great - really like the "alpine" windows. Are they slightly asymmetric? Different on the ends towards the middle? Look like they might be LR Disco ones?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks great - really like the "alpine" windows. Are they slightly asymmetric? Different on the ends towards the middle? Look like they might be LR Disco ones?

The window holes are just rough cut at this point, they might be deceptive. But there are left and right side windows, the left side windows are mirror images of the right.

Disco windows are pretty tall, the Safari Cab as a much lower roof:

DiscoWindows_zpsoqywszgt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk