BeefCake's build...a roll your own Earthroamerish family expo rig

lostih

Observer
Great job. I've debated getting a 5500 Ram, also. Where did you get your wheels and tires?

Thanks. I bought the wheels from a military surplus place and the tires are off eBay from a place in Virginia. Forget the name but it was something patriotic and they have a brick and mortar store and we’re super to deal with.

Route55

Adventurer
I just stumbled upon this thread. Nice work! By any chance did you get those wheels from Thin Line Offroad out of Michigan? If so that is me! Getting back into the overlanding game myself

lostih

Observer
I just stumbled upon this thread. Nice work! By any chance did you get those wheels from Thin Line Offroad out of Michigan? If so that is me! Getting back into the overlanding game myself

Hey man! Yup! That was me! Sold my second set to cowpig on here. Lots of people asking for them...so if you have more say the word!

lostih

Observer
happy to see the trip seems to be going well, and on instagram! how is the mileage doing ?

Well...the lie-o-meter on the dash says 10.9 for the trip so far. Was 11.7 until the Rockies. I think it’s close to actual as it doesn’t know of the overdrive of the tires and it overestimated before. Also went through a tank of Def in just a tank and a half of gas going through the Rockies so it must be working hard!

lostih

Observer
I foresee mudflap installation in your near future. Nice build and even better road tripping in it.

0a210e7794ebbc9db3edfbb81e3ba28f.jpg

9170fc266f3f1e165478c70efb45d41e.jpg

Installed these bad boys just now. After I went to the truck wash and cleaned all the mud off from last night, but before I went down the equally muddy road to tonight’s camp spot

Route55

Adventurer

Hey man! Yup! That was me! Sold my second set to cowpig on here. Lots of people asking for them...so if you have more say the word!
Unfortunately the aluminum ones have dried up. I can get 11 inch wide steelies in but they are stupid expensive!

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

lostih

Observer
Today we spent most the day taking advantage of being in a biggish town to run a bunch of errands. I love oil field towns. So much interesting machinery and hard working people. I’m sure they have their down sides but you can get everything industrial or medium duty truck related. (except for a def cap for a 2012 ram 5500 as it turns out). Grande Praire, AB is no exception. We hit Wally World for food. Goodwill and value village for random accoutrements for the camper. Laundry mat. Napa for mudflaps. Propane place to fix a leaky seal. Fuel. Truck wash. Taco Time. I love Taco Time. If you expect authentic food you’ll be disappointed. If you expect tattertots disguised as mexi-fries you won’t be disappointed!

The visitor center in Grand Prairie is great! Free WiFi and city map and pointed us to where everything we needed was. It’s midway through town on the main north/south road. They also have a fun, free museum in the basement. Finally they had a nice handout with all the gas stations between here and delta junction listed and categorized by services offered (gas, diesel, propane, repair, etc). Kinda handy.

We did eventually hit the road around 3 and went to the Currie dinosaur museum. It was AWESOME! One of the largest fossil beds in the world is located here and they have a very new museum that features these and many other types of dinosaurs.

a9d9ed95cf0c18d7f3f03b4d97e1cf8b.jpg

269c5fa534c21ef000b6918662936f0f.jpg

Touching a 75 million year old Dino bone was pretty cool!

We also passed lots of fields of this yellow crop. Made for a pretty drive.

2c611b699ce7333ab42e24b12555bd9a.jpg

We pulled down a dirt road between a few fields and got the truck all muddy again. Found a super old log cabin to explore and are boondocking in the corner of this field tonight.

0dbaf28d88f5caa7d0d8118360763574.jpg

21f14c22053ba5cf04dd69d979a254e5.jpg

Tomorrow we’ll hit Dawson Creek and mile 0 of the Alaskan hiway!

Jo_Duval

Observer
Well...the lie-o-meter on the dash says 10.9 for the trip so far. Was 11.7 until the Rockies. I think it’s close to actual as it doesn’t know of the overdrive of the tires and it overestimated before. Also went through a tank of Def in just a tank and a half of gas going through the Rockies so it must be working hard!

Wow I was expecting worst that’s good, I think anyways. My van does 15-17 it’s half the size and capability

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
good for you exploring off the beaten path - that's my plan too, i love boondocking and exploring areas that don't seem to be interesting to the crowds. one time i just hiked a straight line in YNP' lamar valley and found everything from old bear/wolf kills to a petrified tree that likely hardly anyone even knows is there since it's not on a trail.

i still have the other set of stryker wheels .... still considering how to make them work if at all possible - US military grade aluminum beadlocks are just too perfect if i can figure out a way to get the track f/r to work (spacers...recenter...?)

lostih

Observer
204aa144f77388ec8630f7c7cffe8c0b.jpg

Been away from WiFi a few days but seen a lot of beautiful country. The drive from Dawson Creek to Ft. Nelson is pretty monotonous, but starting at Ft. Nelson it gets pretty amazing. You have to go through lots and lots of this before the fun stuff:

a9829fa327e8e0369548e04bdc13728a.jpg

Ft. Nelson has a great visitor center and rec center with indoor and outdoor water stuff for the kids. We spent the night at a free campground at Beaver Lake. Great spot! Met some fellow explorers from Holland cruising the same route in a yellow Mercedes AWD truck. Very cool rig.

54ea6a7f8ec91b4c745da9529106671b.jpg

Once you leave FT. Nelson you claim hard into the Rockies and it is spectacular.

11a2c4ed2708f80262d21cbda9ff5965.jpg

e888ca230634b70764a0dfac4c900a1b.jpg
bfdc803f6e6dfc7ec067105cc0de3573.jpg

My WiFi is pretty bad here so I’ll have to leave it at that, but heading into Yukon tomorrow. About 25% of the way through the trip I think. Having a blast!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Any road can be beefcake size with a running start. Betcha your boys loved clearing road. I'm a little jealous, looks like fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal