BeefCake's build...a roll your own Earthroamerish family expo rig

Coachgeo

Explorer
Composting Toilet Update ....... I never got to installing the vent and computer fan that I had planned on installing so I leave the exhaust fan in the bathroom on low. This has proved to be quite sufficient....
only speculating.. but would think the vent fan pulls smells OUT of the toilet and up to your nose..... before it exits out the vent. For that reason would assume once you put in the vent connected straight to the box holding poo bucket...... you will have ZERO smells for it will then be bypassing the space in the bathroom..... and the nose on your head.

lostih

Observer
Composting Toilet Update ....... I never got to installing the vent and computer fan that I had planned on installing so I leave the exhaust fan in the bathroom on low. This has proved to be quite sufficient....
only speculating.. but would think the vent fan pulls smells OUT of the toilet and up to your nose..... before it exits out the vent. For that reason would assume once you put in the vent connected straight to the box holding poo bucket...... you will have ZERO smells for it will then be bypassing the space in the bathroom..... and the nose on your head.

Indeed. However I have found with no fan there is a bit of an odor from urine on warm days. With fan on lowest setting it shoots right out

lostih

Observer
We’re approaching Whitehorse, YT tonight. Truck is running fine but mpgs have been dropping and seems to have less power...but I could be imagining things. Trip mpg has dropped from around 11.5 for the first 1000 to around 9.5 total. I’m suspicious of my dpf. Anyone have exhaust or diesel shop recommendations in Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coachgeo

Explorer
We’re approaching Whitehorse, YT tonight. Truck is running fine but mpgs have been dropping and seems to have less power...but I could be imagining things. Trip mpg has dropped from around 11.5 for the first 1000 to around 9.5 total. I’m suspicious of my dpf. Anyone have exhaust or diesel shop recommendations in Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Id check air cleaner...... and also factor in change in altitude... oh.... and long sloooowww upgrades are often very not noticeable to eye or foot on pedal yet they affect mileage a heck a lot.

lostih

Observer
Great minds think alike. Just did. Not great but not horrible. I’ll replace tomorrow.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Fuel filter? When was it changed last? I've seen trucks get bad diesel and plug a filter up in a few hundred miles and then your power goes down.

lostih

Observer
Fuel filter? When was it changed last? I've seen trucks get bad diesel and plug a filter up in a few hundred miles and then your power goes down.

Had a new one less than 5k ago. Good idea though. That’d explain loss of power but the plummeting fuel mileage is more worrisome. Turbo also sounds a bit different. Could be restricted air cleaner or maybe turbo? Getting back to some civilization so I bet I can get whatever it is addressed.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Check your rubber boots and intercooler for leaks. Also how long since it did a regen. If it’s not restricted on the inlet side them it may be on the exhaust end. The use of a lot of DEF could be causing exhaust issues.

lostih

Observer
Check your rubber boots and intercooler for leaks. Also how long since it did a regen. If it’s not restricted on the inlet side them it may be on the exhaust end. The use of a lot of DEF could be causing exhaust issues.

Thanks. I’ve been focused on the exhaust side but I’ll check the Intercooler boots now. Limped it to Whitehorse by disconnecting exhaust after down pipe. Didn’t change much. Everything appears closed in Whitehorse on a Sunday so might not be able to find anything out until tomorrow. Beautiful spot to be stuck though

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Not sure what is on your series engine but 3 other things to consider are the EGR valve stuck open or the vanes on the turbo stuck (if it’s a variable vane turbo) or stuck wastegate.

java

Expedition Leader
Oh no! As others have said check fuel and air filters.

Do you have a boost gauge? What's it running? (now vs previous?)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lostih

Observer
Sadly I didn’t put gauges on it before we left as I figured it was bone stock so leave it alone...so don’t know boost numbers. Could be stuck open wastegate or turbo vanes. The exhaust brake (which is just the vanes closing) still works so I’m hopeful it’s not that. Hoping to camp by a diesel shop and hoping they have some time to check it out in the morning.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If the air filter is OK get the fuel supply proven before heading down any expensive path. I have had crud block an in tank filter before that was a pig to chase down. Engine fuel filter was changed many times but I didn’t check flow until very late in the episode. Tried to rely too much on electronic fault finding rather than going with the basics.

lostih

Observer
Well I’m thinking it might have been the air filter. I’m embarrassed and tentatively relieved. Old one didn’t look bad, but with the new one in the turbo sounds back to normal and the few miles I’ve driven have back to normal economy. Still going to find a shop to pull codes in the morning and align front end...noticed one of the front tires is wearing more on the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman