Best place to live?!?!

Tazman

Adventurer
I love Arizona. When traveling from California, I feel that I have just entered America again. The problem with places like Arizona and Colorado, Californians find them, move there then fk them up. If my wife would listen, we would be in Prescott USA.

Skkeel01

Portland is cool, I've been there ... It's actually a lot like Louisville, but I can't drive to Mt. Hood on a whim ;)

I just returned from a trip to SoCal, which reinvigorated my desire to live in that area. But, after looking into current housing prices, it didn't last long. I couldn't afford Compton, so I have no idea how normal (not wealthy, but not poor either) people afford to live there.

Did some more research on northern Arizona and think that is currently at the top of my list.

A.J.M

Explorer
So. Arizona is full.

Port Oregon is also not full of land rovers and is to be avoided at all costs.

Got it.

justcuz

Explorer
If I wanted a divorce, I too would move to Prescott. However my kids have careers here in SoCal and my wife refuses to leave. Our house is paid for, I am retired so the crummy traffic is mildly annoying and not a daily frustration and we shop in the middle of the week when school is in session. My utilities, property taxes and insurance are not unreasonable, but probably above the national average.
Arizona has tons of off road area to explore and that is the main reason I would move there. Prescott just happens to have the best weather of all the larger Arizona cities in my opinion. Flagstaff is a college town, Tucson and Phoenix too hot in the Summer, ditto for Kingman and Wickenburg. Sedona is a tourist town, so it kind of leaves Prescott as the best all around choice weather wise. I do like Williams but it is a tourist town too.
However Prescott and most of Arizona have limited health care. Most anything above advanced first aid requires a trip to Phoenix.
As an example the last time I was out there a friend accidentally cut the end of his thumb off. It was a Sunday and they did not have an orthopedic doctor on call. They bandaged him up and gave us a referral to an orthopedic Dr in Phoenix, but he could not be seen until the next (Monday) morning. I just packed him up and drove him back to So Cal where he was seen in the emergency room and had surgical repairs done in 3 hours. He was done by 0600 Monday morning and I drove him home.
Consequently he lost the thumb tip. If we had been in SoCal it probably could have been reattached.
The ice chest and solo cup was put to good use, to no avail in Prescott.
This happened right down the road from the OJ's office/shop. We were checking out a housing developement where some of the homes are built into the rocks and he slammed his thumb in the door of my new Suburban.
We joke now that this incident cured him of slamming car doors.:Wow1:

Last edited:
I grew up in the Midwest just north of Milwaukee, WI. Great people, great country land but no chance on that weather again and opportunity is not so great.

Moved to San Diego in the mid 90's and loved it. SoCal has everything you want and everything you don't want too! I lived in the DC area for a while and although for my single days the woman to man ratio was the best ever, I didn't fall in love with the place and went back to SoCal. I still have a house in North County San Diego and if I ever left Hawaii I would go back there as my number one choice. Again, everything you could possibly want or not want is in SoCal, pick your poison.

I now live in Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii. Absolutely love it here but you would have to love island life. Honolulu IMO is not a great city and I've been and lived in many but I do not live there but on the other side of the island, the real Hawaii. I'm a $75 dollar air fare one way to any other island and its absolutely some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. I have job opportunities on the Big Island Hawaii and may be moving there next year to Kona. Kona-Kailua is an awesome town and there is cheap property on the Big Island still to be had. One has to be aware and respect the local culture, however many of my dive buddies and running buddies are locals and respect goes both ways.

Cost of living on Oahu is horrible and opportunity and wage are nowhere near comparable to anywhere you would expect. There are very specific job markets to Oahu, so do your research before you pull the trigger like you would anywhere else.

If anyone wants any information on Oahu or any other island for moving, trips or whatever just let me know and I'll try and help anyway I can.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I just read all your posts and have heard of every big city you all have talked about. Not many have talked about small towns in the mid west. I live in the town of Dittmer, Mo. @500 people, give or take. We have to go to the next town over for gas or food, but do have a post office. It's a place where you know your neighbors and people still stop if they see you walking down the road, wanting to help. We pull over and take off our hats when a funeral goes by. Have plenty of good water, too. No drive by shootings or gangs, leave that in St. Louis. There's a lot to be said for small towns, boring to some, but we it like just fine. One thing for sure, you don't have to keep an eye on your kids playing in the field.

On another note, I wouldn't want to be in a big city when the lights go out, even for a week or two.

p nut

butter
I moved from the east coast 17 years ago. West is great. So much to explore, skiing is spectacular, and reasonable cost of living (except CA, WA). I love Utah, but I could also live in Idaho, western WY, CO, or AZ. Maybe even MT. The great thing is, you can visit any of these states within a day's drive (or less). Landscape is so diverse and so different. One thing I will say, though--people are much friendlier back East. Just a cultural thing, I guess, and not a big deal to me, but something my wife and I noticed when we visit family on the east coast.

lwg

Currently reside in Fruita, CO. Intentionally moved here to be close to SE UT where I love to spend time. Was born in OK, lived in Denver, Portland, Bend and Mesa prior to moving here. We seriously consider moving back to Bend A LOT. However winter's are rather long there and that's tough on our psyche. Portland was beautiful as well but cannot handle 8+ months of clouds unfortunately. Winter is relatively short in Fruita, about to start Mountain Biking again in the coming weeks now that most of the snow has melted.

Skkeel01

I've mountain biked Kokopelli's trail there ... Had a buddy doing a dental internship in GJ, so he calls me up and asks me to build him a bike and bring it out to him to ride, says he's "staring at mountains" as we spoke. Me not knowing anything about the high desert was picturing the Rocky Mountain forests. Anyway, it was cool and we also got to mtb in Moab, Park City and Telluride.

Love love love Bend as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach