Best RTT for all year mounting?

Viggen

Just here...
So, I live in an apt and live on the 2nd floor so moving an RTT up and down the steps constantly is not my idea of fun. Im looking for a good tent that can be mounted to my SD rack and left up there year round. Im not interested in a hard case tent as they take up a large amount of room on the roof so a traditional one is best. I was looking at the ARB Simpson III as I like the size and the price and ARB's rep for quality stuff. Anyone have one and leave it on there full time?

sbly

Observer
Viggen,

I have a Simpson III on my Land Cruiser, but I only leave it on during the summer months.

sbly

coastie kyle

Observer
Check out Mombassa. Got mine from Top-Tent.com. Its the new material, and it was shipped to the door for $900. The old material it $100 less. But its awesome. I love it.

mookie

Have you considered the Technitop Hardshell? It's got the smaller footprint like the "traditional" tents if I understand you correctly.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
My ARB Simpson II, III, and IIIb were all mounted permanately and stored outside 24/7, no issues at all. Always dry when open and the covers exhibited no issue. My 2nd gen Mombasa (expedition model) cover that has been on my trailer for nearly 4 years is starting to tear and crack. I need to get it replaced before long but its not stored in the shop so I'm not in a super rush.

articulate

Expedition Leader
For your criteria, I don't think you need to look at the tent as much as you need to consider the cover. In which case, the fiberglass or carbon fiber Autohome tents are where it's at for ultimate longevity. But you've already ruled those out. They're also more aerodynamic, so if I were to leave the tent on all the time, I'd put those at the top of the list. Just sayin.' :)

The other covers that are PVC or some other kind of synthetic (Eezi-Awn, ARB, and so on) will wear out eventually from UV exposure, temperature changes, and general use. That's just part of RTT ownership. I don't have any idea whose cover is "the best" because my personal experience is only with Eezi-Awn and Hannibal. Both have impressive covers, though. I replaced the EA cover after 3 years and full-time mounting on the truck because it was dry rotting. But I think 3 years in the sun, in the desert, was a lot to ask.

No matter which tent, it's important to take care of the cover as best you can for maximum life.

pangaea

Adventurer
Agreed. The covers are well worth considering. The two things to take into account are availability and ease of replacing. The easiest cover to replace for obvious reasons (you take it completely off every time you open the tent) is the Eezi-Awn.

From firsthand experience, I can say that changing out the tent cover on an ARB Simpson is quite easy too. I got one with a bad zipper, start to finish it was about a 15 minute project.

IIRC, the Hannibal cover is actually screwed in between the floor and the frame, so that might be a bit more challenging to change out.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
If I may.....
Howling Moon covers are also easily slid out to remove, and to be replaced. We will keep an inventory of replacement covers for each of our models.

Viggen

Just here...
For your criteria, I don't think you need to look at the tent as much as you need to consider the cover. In which case, the fiberglass or carbon fiber Autohome tents are where it's at for ultimate longevity. But you've already ruled those out. They're also more aerodynamic, so if I were to leave the tent on all the time, I'd put those at the top of the list. Just sayin.' :)

The other covers that are PVC or some other kind of synthetic (Eezi-Awn, ARB, and so on) will wear out eventually from UV exposure, temperature changes, and general use.

I realize that the hardtops offer the best opportunity for longevity and aerodynamics but they are just too damn long. The beauty of the traditional tent is that half of it can hang out over the side of the truck leaving a lot more space up top for other things. I do realize that its the covers that need to be replaceable but Im also concerned about cost. Right now, Im looking at a Mombassa and the Simpson III to give you an idea of my price range.

I would have to add the ExPo supporter Campinglab to the running and yes they are one of our sponsors (not monetary). Virtually identical to the Mombassa and some ARB models.

After living out of our RTT for a year I would highly recommend keepin the cover clean and protected with Formula 303 or maybe Armor All.

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viggen

Just here...
I would have to add the ExPo supporter Campinglab to the running and yes they are one of our sponsors (not monetary). Virtually identical to the Mombassa and some ARB models.

After living out of our RTT for a year I would highly recommend keepin the cover clean and protected with Formula 303 or maybe Armor All.

Camping Lab was an option but theyre all backordered.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 for Aerospace protectant.

On an related sidenote, I am ordering a new convertible top and asked if the company could make a RTT cover if I gave them dimensions and specifics. They quoted me $50.

Now all I need is a RTT.

-Sam

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Maggiolina.

Anything with a soft cover will degrade from UV radiation big time, trust me since that was the #1 reason I got rid of my Eezi-Awn as much as I loved the tent, the covers suck.

Maggiolina and the Autohome tents with fiberglass covers are far superior in every way for this reason, not to mention the MATTRESS (you know, the whole reason for a RTT) is MUCH thicker on the Maggiolina than on other tents. The only mattress I've seen that comes close is the FlipPac.

Last edited:

ExpeditionJeep

All the covers suffer from living in the harsh elements, but I believe the constant wind buffeting is equally to blame. Having lots of experience with Hannibal, ARB, Oasis, and some Eazi Awn I would suggest adding an elastic "web" (i.e. Bed web) over the cover for both prolonged highway drives and extended times of storage on the roof of the truck. I've been involved with some longevity high speed highway testing and wrapping that cover to keep it under control virtually eliminates wear on long runs. Add some good UV protection (303 works well) and you will greatly improve the lifespan of the travel cover.
Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk