best year for Montero 1999?

1morebike

Adventurer
I'm selling my 80 seeks land cruiser and looking at Montero. I have done a tone of reading here and have convinced my self 1999 is the year that seems the best. I say this because it comes with a rear locker and I hear the gas mileage is pretty good,plus its obd 2 and I kinda like being able to read codes. I know a lot of guys love the 1995 but that's getting pretty old. Please chime in with you thoughts

Thanks

I would say the 1998-1999 are the best because of the blister fenders, 4.27 gears, SOHC, better leather, and rear locker, but you can't go wrong with any of the full size Montero's. Many would say the 4.27 gears are a disadvantage but you can't argue with 24mpg hwy.

1morebike

Adventurer
Also @ 4d55 my wife and I just went on a huge California adventure in her 09 jetta tdi wagon and i totally agree it's a great expo vehicle! the 39 mpg and power in the mountains is amazing. It's a incredible vehicle no doubt

Also @ 4d55 my wife and I just went on a huge California adventure in her 09 jetta tdi wagon and i totally agree it's a great expo vehicle! the 39 mpg and power in the mountains is amazing. It's a incredible vehicle no doubt

I love my little Sportwagen as well. We took it to Yellowstone last week and we averaged about 45mpg because of the slower roads. With 3 kids in the car we were a little cramped but it was manageable. Unfortunately I think the Sportwagen's days are numbered because the wife said something about being pregnant with twins. I think I am looking at getting a big Mercedes Sprinter Van.

1morebike

Adventurer
Ha ha we spent two nights up in Yosemite during the trip. We have the auto so the gas mileage is not as good as yours.

1morebike

Adventurer
15 mpg fully loaded with 35s still isn't bad with an 80 you would be looking at 10 mpg. Are you running stock gearing? I don't plan on 35 s even on my 80 I'm running 255/ 85 /16 and they are all I need.

MontyMcV

Observer
24MPG in a Montero? I'd like to see the data behind that. The best I ever got was 18+MPG. That was one time in the 2000 on its maiden voyage to my house. It was 85MPH through the rolling hills from NC to Cleveland. Totally stock with nothing but two passengers. Now with 32s and the usual ~70+MPH from Cleveland to the cottage in NY it rarely breaks 16MPG. That's with at least 4people, a dog, and weekend gear/supplies.

Oh, and holding cruise control speed with the AT and 32s on a modest uphill simply doesn't happen. Have to click the OD off, which of course doesn't help the MPGs.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Highway at 55mph is where your best fuel economy is, after that your milage decreases as your speed increases.
I once got 18mpg on the highway with 35's doing 65mph on a stagnant day on a very a slight down hill.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
It has been scientifically proven that '99s are the best vehicle ever produced. Want proof? You just read it on the Internet.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
For me, I prefer the lower 4.6x gears of the mid 90's SR's with 96 being preferred simply because it's OBDII and offered the greatest power of any of the gen 2/2.5's... Not by much but still the most hp.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at the latests gen 2.5 model w/ a locker and would be looking at upgrading the xcase and r&p gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad