Big THANK YOU to the Hollister Overland team!

jcbrandon

Explorer
hello all

this ralley was indeed a fantastic experience. we went to this event hoping we might put our newly finished fuso camper thru its paces in a save enviorment and came away with so much more.

Lehel, you and your truck were the highlight of the event for me. It was a pleasure to meet you both and to see you take your camper through some challenging obstacles. Look forward to seeing you again at the Overland Expo and hearing about your adventures.

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Cool video -- thanks for putting that together. I don't often get to see my rig blasting over terrain like that. I had a great time running the course and it's always fun to see a bunch of really different rigs take on stuff like that. Bummer I was up on the hill while the Fuso was crawling through it. Thanks to the organizers for all their hard work putting it together!

Navigation Course Final Results
Driver, Vehicle, Navigation
1 Ray S. Montero 0:41:31
2 Carlos P. Montero 0:44:41
3 Robert B. Tacoma 0:45:41
4 Harold D. Jeep 0:47:27
5 Dan R. K30 1:00:48
6 Desmund Land Cruiser 1:10:39
7 Mike M. Jeep 1:17:45

Doh! So much for not getting docked for recovery time... guess that's just how it goes :ylsmoke:

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Congratulations to everyone! Well done. It was a blast to watch everyone go through the obstacle course. We went through it unofficially after everyone left. What a hoot!

Cheers,

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Cool the results are up but wow, didn't expect to finish first. I figured I did Ok on the obstacle course but also was a little cautious to avoid breaking anything.

Then had fun trying to figure out what Adriana was saying since I don't speak Spanish (Puerto Rican accent or not LOL). Nice twist. If she wasn't so pretty I would have been upset. ;)

I also saw that I was 2nd on the clipboard at the top of the hill but with the rally having staggered start, I knew this didn't necessarily mean anything.

Overall a very enjoyable event. I can't think of anything that could have been done to improve it. Thoroughly enjoyed myself & glad I could 'represent' for the often overlooked Mitsubishi Montero.:smiley_drive:

K2ZJ

Explorer
Is he working underneath a vehicle supported by a highlift jack? I can't see any other supports.... I have to assume they are there, but are somehow not in the picture?

It does look bad :Wow1:, but if you look the tire is barely off the ground if at all and in a picture on page 2 his vehicle has a decent lift. If it were to fall I dont think it would be going far, and not far enough to crush the guy underneath. He seems to have a enough room to work without the jack. It may have been added to make a repair easier not for access under the van.

TigerDan

Observer
Cool the results are up but wow, didn't expect to finish first. I figured I did Ok on the obstacle course but also was a little cautious to avoid breaking anything.

Then had fun trying to figure out what Adriana was saying since I don't speak Spanish (Puerto Rican accent or not LOL). Nice twist. If she wasn't so pretty I would have been upset. ;)

I also saw that I was 2nd on the clipboard at the top of the hill but with the rally having staggered start, I knew this didn't necessarily mean anything.

Overall a very enjoyable event. I can't think of anything that could have been done to improve it. Thoroughly enjoyed myself & glad I could 'represent' for the often overlooked Mitsubishi Montero.:smiley_drive:

Congrats Ray, good job! I had a feeling you did well, especially since you were one of the rare few who managed to make sense of the GPS coordinates. As you said, your Scouting experience paid off...!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice article & great pics. I'm sure the Grasscat will like the one of his rig with a wheel in the air.:smiley_drive:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great job with the article and images Christian

_MG_5165.jpg

_MG_5258.jpg

_MG_5351.jpg

_MG_5372.jpg

_MG_5430.jpg

_MG_8856.jpg

_MG_8824.jpg

_MG_8836.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Anyone in contact with McVick (Brian)? He was gonna ship the prizes 2 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived. Been anxiously awaiting their arrival & I hope the neighborhood teen delinquents didn't inadvertently get a hold of them before I got home. :(

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Anyone in contact with McVick (Brian)? He was gonna ship the prizes 2 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived. Been anxiously awaiting their arrival & I hope the neighborhood teen delinquents didn't inadvertently get a hold of them before I got home. :(

I will ask him right now. He was out all week last week to give some training and we were at SEMA the week before so it is possible that he never got around to mail them.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Woot woot! Got the GoPro HD video camera, GoPro shirt and ball cap along with the Magellan t-shirt also! Looking good. Wow there's lots of parts for mounting in included. Can't wait to use it for the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__