Big THANK YOU to the Hollister Overland team!

NorCalLC

Adventurer
It looks like another great event I was unable to attend.... Frustrating to say the least.

Great photos and write ups though. Thanks for letting me live vicariously thru all of you.

SFDiscoII

After the competition Paul May from Equipt and I were headed back to camp when we heard over the radio that a vehicle needed assistance. Given the GPS coordinates Paul was able to navigate to the location.

Paul took over point, and I added my talents as photographer :sombrero:. Paul took stock of the situation,

DSCF0015-1.jpg

laid out the plan with the vehicle owner and then directed the recovery.

DSCF0013.jpg

Lucky for everyone it was straight forward and a little counter weight and extra eyes was all that was needed.

DSCF0018.jpg

Martyn and Paul,

Thank you for coming to my assistance after I managed to get a little sideways after backing down a hill. Thanks for the pictures as well.

Great event, I met some really great people and I am further inspired to get a dual sport and ride to the land of fire.

Thanks,

Leigh

Whew! Back into the work world after a wonderful 4 days. Thanks to all who put on a great event. And to the instructors...Scott, Jay, Martyn, Paul...good job! It was great meeting those I parked next to in camp...Cabrito, Fubar, A Few More Miles, Eli...as you're known on ExPo. James...looking forward to checking out your new website. Overland Gourmet crew...great pig! Where else can you sit down next to industry leaders and share a meal? Thanks for sharing the table, Martyn and Paul. I'm making plans to see everybody in Arizona in April. :sombrero:

barlowrs

Explorer
GREAT EVENT!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone that helped put that together. Between the presentations of adventures I wish I could do, to the classes, to the great group of people, it was an all around great event.

Unfortunately, I missed Thursday, so I was only able to fit in three classes on sat morning, but I must say, those three alone were worth the 6 hour drive. Thank you to Dave (first aid), Scott (advanced 4wheel), and Thor (recovery). They were all top notch. We even got to see some real life recovery during the trip. Also BIG thanks to the overland gourmet guys, they really brought the whole thing together!

Speaking of recovery, here is my little Tacoma pulling this giant full sized diesel (he was not with our group, but got stuck right in front of me so I felt I had to help him). The guy had gotten himself high centered. First we tried to bounce in the bed to get contact on the rear wheels, but that didn’t work, so I said I would try to pull him out. So, what does he pull out.....a yellow (clearly a harbor freight special) strap that was TIED...yes I mean a normal old knot...on one end (see it in the picture as I am telling him to get it away from me..haha).....obviously, I said no thanks, I have my own gear..haha. First tried to winch him forward, though that just pulled my truck forward....then went around and winched him back..got him right off. Moral of the story: Always have your own gear, you never know when someone will pull a AutoZone special strap that is tied on one end.

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

Overall the event was full of adventures, between people getting stuck, roll-overs, and trailers limping home, but despite all the carnage and issues, everyone pulled together and got everyone home safe with all their gear. Once again, this forum and the whole overland community is full of amazing people.

On a side note…are we going to get to see all those vids from the go-pros that were strapped to our rigs during the trophy? I would love to see that footage!

And now for a few pics (sorry, I didn’t get too many)

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
What a great time! With a small group, it was easy getting to know people a lot better.

Thank you to Brian and Christian and everyone involved. Great job!

Attachments

• RAW_049.JPG
    RAW_049.JPG
    459 KB · Views: 65
  • RAW_222.JPG
    RAW_222.JPG
    556.3 KB · Views: 58
  • RAW_284.JPG
    RAW_284.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 60
  • RAW_087.JPG
    RAW_087.JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 68
  • RAW_163.JPG
    RAW_163.JPG
    595.5 KB · Views: 53
  • RAW_192.JPG
    RAW_192.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 69
  • RAW_045.JPG
    RAW_045.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 46

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Just a few more of the wonderful Saturday night feast!! Overland Gourmet ... Wow!!

Attachments

• RAW_136.JPG
    RAW_136.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 39
  • RAW_141.JPG
    RAW_141.JPG
    494.6 KB · Views: 35
  • RAW_188.JPG
    RAW_188.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 62
  • RAW_036.JPG
    RAW_036.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 37
  • RAW_202.JPG
    RAW_202.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 32

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Syncro Incident

Watch this video to have an idea of what it feels like to be inside the van...moments before it rolls.

Thanks Jon for the video and Bill for sharing.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Overland Gourmet!

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Thought I was gonna cry...

IMG_0766.jpg

4WD class shots

IMG_0746.jpg

A teacher hard at work

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

The underpinnings of 4WD physics and anatomy

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

Teacher spotting student

IMG_0796.jpg

A spot many saught and few ever found!

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Power Wagon, large and in charge!

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

You want us to do what?

IMG_0813.jpg

Thats about all I got. Many of my shots were out of focus. Hopefully better luck next time.

TigerDan

Observer
I just got home. Even though I live only about 4 hours from Hollister, I had to make a stop in San Jose to dismantle a Range Rover that's on it's way to becoming a D108-hybrid (but that's another story...:D) However, some of the parts removed will go to making my own poor old Rangie a little less battered and beat-looking.

This was a indeed a great event, I'm very glad to have attended. Everyone I met was so friendly and outgoing, and it was truly great to see all the different marques represented there with no prejudice on the part of any of the participants. I learned a lot, not only about 4-wheeling in general but also about many of the different vehicles that were in attendance. Kudos to all who worked so hard at putting this together!

The presentations were top-notch, and I find my blood stirring to mount my own expedition and get out on the road (or at least join in on one...!)

Unfortunately, I was so busy taking it all in that I just plumb forgot to get my camera out very much of the time and so only got a few pics. I haven't even looked at them yet, if there's anything worth posting I'll do so.

Already looking forward to next year!

jon_slider

I have a question about the rigging for Bill's recovery on Truck Hill, also posted here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4862516#4862516

it looks like the winch line that went thru a block, and used to bring the Van upright, was anchored somewhere on the climbers right side of the hill?

Does anyone know what they anchored to? Was there a vehicle there (on side hill in the bushes) too, for a total of 3 vehicles doing the recovery?

I wonder if there would have been any way to anchor Bills Van until help arrived, so he would not have had to try backing down the hill.. for example a pull pal? http://www.pullpal.com/

The issue was that Bill did not think he could not keep his foot on the brake without his muscles fatigueing or cramping before help could arrive..

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, Jon_Slider!

According to post 39 above, there were two vehicles and winch lines
"The winch line coming from the left (taut in this picture) is attached to my truck, and the other line (being repositioned here) is attached to Jay's Power Wagon."

Definitely a "failure was not an option" situation. A broken winch line would have sent the VW barrel-rolling all the way to the bottom of the hill!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I have a question about the rigging for Bill's recovery on Truck Hill, also posted here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4862516#4862516

it looks like the winch line that went thru a block, and used to bring the Van upright, was anchored somewhere on the climbers right side of the hill?

Does anyone know what they anchored to? Was there a vehicle there (on side hill in the bushes) too, for a total of 3 vehicles doing the recovery?

I wonder if there would have been any way to anchor Bills Van until help arrived, so he would not have had to try backing down the hill.. for example a pull pal? http://www.pullpal.com/

The issue was that Bill did not think he could not keep his foot on the brake without his muscles fatigueing or cramping before help could arrive..

Harold and I set the anchors to the base of two stout bushes using choker chains and a short strap that was connected to a snatch block so that we could perform a lateral pull to upright the vehicle. This afforded us a redundant system in case either of the bushes uprooted.

Perhaps a really large wheel chock would have worked, but the hill was very steep and slippery. The best solution for a hold would have been a winch line or a choker chain and a long static strap. Bill may look into a winch line extension even if he has no plans to add a winch in case this issue should arise again in the future.

There were two vehicles used in the recovery, and we used a third vehicle as a land anchor. The Heavy work was split between the Power Wagon and the K30, but the K30 was also anchored to a JK that was parked behind it. Once the vehicle was righted and up the hill a little, we re-rigged the second winch line and performed a complicated dual pull orchistrated by Thor. Once near the top, we re-rigged again and moved the Power Wagon back up the trail a bit in order to achieve a direction change in the pull. We had to keep the line from the K30 rigged for this step, due to the likelyhood of the Synchro tipping over again on the off camber primary line pull. Once on relatively safe ground, we attached a tow strap and pulled the van onto level ground where the damage could be assessed and minor repairs done in order to drive it back down. Initially, it needed a little help from Harold's Jeep to get it up to the main trail, and then it made it the rest of the way under its own power (I think). Once back in camp, the CV was replaced and the van was driven home.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Welcome to ExPo, Jon_Slider!

According to post 39 above, there were two vehicles and winch lines
"The winch line coming from the left (taut in this picture) is attached to my truck, and the other line (being repositioned here) is attached to Jay's Power Wagon."

Definitely a "failure was not an option" situation. A broken winch line would have sent the VW barrel-rolling all the way to the bottom of the hill!

... with me in it. I think there is a crease in Bill's seat now. The seatbelt had locked up and was not useable. Communication was constant, so there was always a safety system, whether it be a second winch line or me standing on the brakes with the truck in gear. If there had been a multiple system failure, myself and / or spectators at the bottom of the hill could have been seriously injured.

The cold beverage back at camp hit the spot upon our return! :sombrero:

I was just glad to have three of the most experienced individuals in the world as part of the recovery team. I knew I was in good hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__