Black Bear and Lockers

L_Kilkenny

We did Black Bear in our ZJ a couple weeks ago (just a couple days before the "incident"). Like stated NO LOCKERS needed, rear is OK but you DON'T WANT a front locker engaged.

I'm with the crowd of "been there, done that, don't need to do it again". In reality I kinda enjoyed BB but hate the million dollar highway and Imogene with a passion. I think my problem with Imogene has more to do with nerves being used up by doing BB first and then Imogene. Maybe it wasn't that bad but I was used up half way thru and the two-way traffic is an issue I just don't need to deal with again.

You'll want a couple inches lift on your Unlimited, if not skids are mandatory. Our group had an unlimited right in front of me and beat the crap our of his skid getting up to the BB pass and going down the Ouray side of Imogene. On the flip side the ZJ with a 2" BB lift and 31's only tapped the transfer case skid once our whole trip.

BBailey

Explorer
No lockers at all!!! And I don't want to be rude, but if you have to ask that question this is probably not a trail you should be attempting by yourself!

This!!

Seriously, if you have to ask a question like that, Black Bear Pass isn't a trail you should even consider.

ihatemybike

Explorer
No need for that, it's an honest question. I applaud putting some forethought into it, instead of heading out there blindly and doing something stupid. There are many trails in the area that lockers would be beneficial, IIRC there's a spot on Poughkeepsie Gulch that required our open diff Jeep to be winched up.

bugnout

Adventurer
Definitely should disengage the lockers when you need to turn so that your not skidding your tires through the corners. Front locker engaged will make it particularly difficult to turn. Engage one or both lockers on steep inclines with wheels heading straight up or down hill to help control the ascent or descent. Better to have control of 4 wheels than 2.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've never been down Black Bear, but I would not want to go down the steps with both lockers engaged. If all four tires were to slip the vehicle will just go down, not necessarily forward like it would if two wheels slipped and the other two just roll, but sideways too. The steps do not appear to be just up and down but canted to the drivers side as well. In slick conditions one slip toward the edge with the lockers engaged would be a recipe for disaster. If there's any real doubt about this try engaging your lockers on ice sometime and find out what it's like to spin or stall all four tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal