Blueberry Gone Wild FJ Build

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Flickr account is updated with the latest trip... Two friends wanted to take their vehicles out so I showed them a little of our Hidden Gem in San Diego.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144185790@N07/sets/72157672797919970

Toyota FJ Cruiser, Subaru Outback, and Brand New F150 can all be friends :wings:

IMG_6042 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6048 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6052 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Photobomb at Fonts Point
IMG_6079 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6102 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

The Stuck Subaru ... didn't make it very far up Blowsand
IMG_6108 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

FJ by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Last edited:

BJ'sFJ

New Awning Light?

Been thinking about a light mounted on the awning for a while now. One option that popped up was the National Luna LED Light that clips onto the awning. They start at $64 and work their way up to $115. The length varies from 8" up to 12" as well. I wanted something a little bit lower profile... but the clip on color lens options is a nice touch.
equipt1.com

Decided to stop by the local lighting store, Baja Designs, to test out their Prototype Dome Light w/ Switch. Been running the older model under the hood of the FJ for a while now. It is neatly mounted on the hood and one quick push of the button lights up the entire engine bay. This one is slightly different than my current model. Lower Profile, Higher Output, and will be mounted to the awning....can't complain with size either (2.7"x1.2"x0.48"). When the production model comes out I will be purchasing the Amber version. Will keep the flying critters away hopefully.
www.bajadesigns.com

BD by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Sorry about the fuzzy photos.. hard to get the camera focused at night. should have used a tripod haha... :Wow1: ... still considering purchasing a national luna light to test against the BD... the specs look impressive. Might try to get one here soon.

BJ'sFJ

Got everything all hooked up for the NEW Baja Designs Dome Light w/ Switch (Part #39-8051). Quick disconnect on the wiring allows me to easily tuck away when not in use. Very happy!
I might pick one up in Amber to help keep the flying critters away. They should be releasing production model and colored versions in the next 1-2 weeks.

www.bajadesigns.com

IMG_6485 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6480 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

1 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

2 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

I will be purchasing clips similar to the one below allowing me to easy remove the light from the awning. It allows me to remove the light without having to cut the zip tie like the BD Mount. Please take a look at let me know what you think.

uc-1-utility-clip-holding-clip-overflow-drain-tube-clip-storage-pole-light-clip-1-12-inch-500_8.jpg

Post up what you're using as a Camp or Awning Light. I am very interested in seeing what others are using. Thanks everyone!
:victory:

AdventureSilvy

Dingus w/ Wrench
Got everything all hooked up for the NEW Baja Designs Dome Light w/ Switch (Part #39-8051). Quick disconnect on the wiring allows me to easily tuck away when not in use. Very happy!
I might pick one up in Amber to help keep the flying critters away. They should be releasing production model and colored versions in the next 1-2 weeks.

www.bajadesigns.com

I will be purchasing clips similar to the one below allowing me to easy remove the light from the awning. It allows me to remove the light without having to cut the zip tie like the BD Mount. Please take a look at let me know what you think.

Post up what you're using as a Camp or Awning Light. I am very interested in seeing what others are using. Thanks everyone!
:victory:

I just pre-ordered mine to replace my rocklight! I can't wait to have switched power rather than on the key fob!:sombrero:

prerunner221

Adventurer
Instead of dealing with all the issues involved with wiring an awning light in, I just bought 2 small battery LED lights and hang one under the tent, and one under the awning and they work great.

13600141_10154318303529494_2963169825777372754_n.jpg

You can see the little light hanging from the awning in this picture.

13557844_10154318308174494_4088700658059351292_n.jpg

Here's the light:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Voyager-Lantern-Ultra/dp/B00N3IAXXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1478666289&sr=1-1&keywords=Black%2BDiamond%2BVoyager%2BLantern&th=1

Best part is when you're going to bed you can just pull one down and hang it in the tent for light, and if you need to hit the head in the middle of the night it has a flashlight built in. Fantastic option at $50.00 for two of them.

BJ'sFJ

Instead of dealing with all the issues involved with wiring an awning light in, I just bought 2 small battery LED lights and hang one under the tent, and one under the awning and they work great.

13600141_10154318303529494_2963169825777372754_n.jpg

You can see the little light hanging from the awning in this picture.

13557844_10154318308174494_4088700658059351292_n.jpg

Here's the light:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Voyager-Lantern-Ultra/dp/B00N3IAXXU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1478666289&sr=1-1&keywords=Black%2BDiamond%2BVoyager%2BLantern&th=1

Best part is when you're going to bed you can just pull one down and hang it in the tent for light, and if you need to hit the head in the middle of the night it has a flashlight built in. Fantastic option at $50.00 for two of them.

Nice setup!

BJ'sFJ

Anza Borrego - San Diego's Hidden Gem

This Saturday I decided to go on an Adventure with Ozzy (Adventure Corgi/Lab Mix). Over the last 4+ years i've been exploring Anza...... Fast forward 4+ years and I still can't get enough!
Currently located in San Marcos, CA. I have a quick ~1:30 drive to Anza Borrego / Ocotillo Wells. Over the last couple of years I've made too many trips to count. This weekend I last-minute decided to head out to the north end of Anza Borrego State Park.

Dropping down into Anza Borrego from Julian

IMG_6668 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Ozzy saying Hi to the camera while I got a couple of pics with the Anza Borrego State Park sign...

IMG_6683 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr
IMG_6677 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

The trip started off at "Buttes Pass" which leads to Hawk Canyon. Hawk Canyon is a VERY popular spot to camp. Didn't get any pictures. It was packed with any and ever car imaginable. It's very easy to access with even a Honda Civic ;)

IMG_6691 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Ozzy out enjoying the cool morning temps while I was airing down the tires to 20psi

IMG_6687 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr
IMG_6695 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

A couple of pics along the way down towards San Felipe Wash

IMG_6701 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr
IMG_6700 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

I always like to run my Dust Lights (Baja Designs S2 Pro Flood/Work Amber) when cruising around on the trails. It is much easier to recognize other vehicles in poor conditions. These are tiny and double as a camp light when setting up or tearing down camp.
Don't want to ruin a desert trip by getting rear ended by another rig in the group.

IMG_6706 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

One of the many areas where Ocotillo Wells SVRA meets Anza Borrego State Park

IMG_6710 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6713 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Making our way north towards the Calcite Mine Trail

IMG_6719 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6716 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Stopped by Una Palma along the way

IMG_6720 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6731 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6729 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Approaching the Calcite Mine Trail

IMG_6736 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6738 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Had to take a few poser shots in a tippy section

IMG_6739 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6743 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6746 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

Slowly made our way towards coyote canyon. Didn't have a chance to take too many photos

IMG_6749 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6752 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

BJ'sFJ

Cruising back I decided to camp in Inspiration Wash. Got the perfect view at Inspiration Point. Fun Fact: 4 Years go exact I camped in the same spot for the first time. It was my second or third trip to the desert
Lots of pics to follow of camp .....

IMG_6760 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6764 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6773 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6775 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6777 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6787 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6837 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

And finally some flex shots in the morning before the camera battery died. Putting that Total Chaos Fabrication and Fox 2.5 suspension components to work
IMG_6845 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6842 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6846 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6850 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

IMG_6848 by Bailey Johnston, on Flickr

BOPOH

Explorer
that's awesome! I've noticed couple bundles of firewood, what do you pack for camping? From pictures: chair, table, coleman grill, tent with pad and sleeping bag, firewood - anything else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven