Boomer the Quadravan 4x4 Camper

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I'm not a welder by trade and don't have any certs. Working at BIW is great in the summer ;)

I've lived here my whole life and can't stand the taste of Moxie....only out-of-staters drink that swill!

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Just a couple things.

First, Boomer is in print!!

Issue #7 of OutdoorX4 highlights the DRAM2 adventures from last fall. Will did an awesome job writing the article, and the photos are all the fine work of Ralph. Makes me really look forward to 2015 adventures!

The other thing is that we had some snow yesterday.

Poor Boomer.

SG

justbecause

perpetually lost
SG, do you have any interior pictures, how the seats and cabinets/kitchen are laid out? I am really leaning towards a b190 (i want a toilet and shower), but I need to be able to eventually put a pair of child seats in, and the 190 sofa isnt conducive to that.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
You know, I don't have nearly enough pictures of the interior. This isn't the first time this question has been asked so I really should do something about it.

Here are a few I dug up...

Looking rearward. Kitchen and Toilet room on the passenger side. Goucho on the driver side going all the way to the rear doors.

Upper Bunk Extended. When it is collapsed, there is standing headroom as you enter the passenger rear entry doors. When it is extended, the bed goes over the rear 2 seats and stops at the kitchen counter and upper cabinet.

Outside looking in at the rear entry doors on the passenger side. The rear seats are removed in this picture (this was taken before our our daughters were born). The 3rd and 4th seats go directly behind the driver and passenger seat (folding zip-open organizer was removed to allow this....a noticeable loss in storage space)

Another picture with the rear seating removed. You can see the space that is available for 2 more seats with this picture. Gone are the days of all that extra room! The rear seats are on quick disconnect bases and when we're camped for any longer than a single night in one place, we'll pull the seats out and put them outside under the awning. Our family trip last year to Nova Scotia had us moving constantly, and the seats weren't removed for the duration of the 10 day adventure.

This is the removable seat base design that has proven extremely effective. It is very robust, doesn't move around and is low enough profile that you don't really trip on it if the seats are out. Standing on one of those posts with bare feet isn't recommended though.

Anyway....A bit of an insight into Boomer's interior. I have delusions about tearing the whole interior out and starting again, mostly because the sub floor and carpet need replacement and I'd like to update the interior a bit. Truth be told, without having an indoor space for Boomer to live in over the winter, I'll never have time to really tear the old girl up without being down for an entire summer (or 2).

SG

justbecause

perpetually lost
I really appreciate it. I thought did a good job reading the thread to make sure you hadnt already covered 3rd and 4th passenger seating, but I see I skipped right over it on page 1.

I spent most of the night reading about passengers in an RV; it doesnt look like I can add two more forward facing seats (or a bench) to a b190 without removing all the plumbing under the sofa, and reworking the counter.

while the view from the b190 throne looks appealing, I think a room, like yours, has numerous advantages over

2055077.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Bah...it would get out of that without having to go digging for hubs ;)

Maybe I'll try and get a video of it tomorrow.

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Gah! I remembered I have tire covers bungeed to each wheel/tire. They need to be removed before I can roll the old girl out. Damn! After the snow yesterday I have drifts up to the fiberglass topper!

:(

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Finally....the video.

This was taken last month and I've only now had a minute to post it up. Luckily the snow has melted considerably in the past week and spring is finally on its way....

There hasn't been any progress on Boomer over the winter. I had a few projects I was hoping to get to but life of course gets in the way. I do have 2 pairs of TRED traction units in the barn waiting for the upcoming roof rack build, and I'm hoping to get Boomer over to the transmission shop in the next few weeks to get the C6 freshened up along with a new TCI torque converter to reduce the slip I've been experincing.

SG

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Yeah...folding CB mount. I'm going to redo the antenna this spring since I'll be adding a 2m antenna to the mix (I just passed my technician test). The current antenna location has been prone to trail damage so the whole thing needs to be reconsidered.

SG

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Back to weatherstripping

The stuff I got from Rockauto was good enough quality that I didn't mind spending the money. My ONLY gripe with it was one of the annoying metal clips on the window wipe seal wasn't in the right place....so I'd give the overall kit maybe a 8 out of 10....

SG

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I want to get my windows tinted but want to replace the window wipe seals first to prevent scratches as I expect the seals to need replacement before my lifetime warranty film. Any pics or details would be GREAT. Also, could you just quickly summarize the procedure of replacing these seals? THANKS A TON!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1