Boring Hams Talking About The Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Facebook is one thing. First off I have no public info on my facebook page(phone # etc) and you'd have to tie my forum name to my facebook page.

I get the point though.. Carry on.

troyboy162

Adventurer
Just a few thought I've had....
It is pretty true about the sorts of discussions on ham, but its just ******** chat on par with any other form of communication with strangers as said already in this thread

I have not seen any bullying to new hams on repeaters in socal, but I'm sure its out there somewhere. I wouldn't take more then one bad egg to ruin a repeter.

The thing I find most interesting about ham right now is that "tradition hams" are no longer growing. Radio shack is bankrupt and internet is now used to connect the world. What is growing is ham by offroaders. My perspective is limited but I can't think of any other category of growth ham may have seen in the last 20 years.
I've donated to a local repeater and make it known that the radio lives in my 4x4. I think the future of ham is offroaders. I predict 4x4 clubs will be maintaining repeaters in the next 20 years. Well, unless sat phones become cheap lol

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
(PS - there are no 'channels' in amateur radio.)

sure there are - 60 meter band

There are as many types of people on ham as there are hams. There are a lot of stereotypes, and some truth to many of them. Maybe most of them. But there are still good and bad, just like most groups of people.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Just a few thought I've had....
It is pretty true about the sorts of discussions on ham, but its just ******** chat on par with any other form of communication with strangers as said already in this thread

I have not seen any bullying to new hams on repeaters in socal, but I'm sure its out there somewhere. I wouldn't take more then one bad egg to ruin a repeter.

The thing I find most interesting about ham right now is that "tradition hams" are no longer growing. Radio shack is bankrupt and internet is now used to connect the world. What is growing is ham by offroaders. My perspective is limited but I can't think of any other category of growth ham may have seen in the last 20 years.
I've donated to a local repeater and make it known that the radio lives in my 4x4. I think the future of ham is offroaders. I predict 4x4 clubs will be maintaining repeaters in the next 20 years. Well, unless sat phones become cheap lol

Can you imagine the drivel that a normal person would perceive from a expedition themed dinner party? If this wasn't my thing I'd be running like crazy for the door before we started eating.

I agree about the 4x4 thing but think the hobby would reach a larger audience with hikers.

Expedition Leader
I agree about the 4x4 thing but think the hobby would reach a larger audience with hikers.

There's a whole subset of ham operators that hike (backpack) up mountains and operate portable with batteries on or near the summit. Mostly low-power HF, but some VHF too. Looks like a lot of fun. I have talked to several from my home HF station.

Mtn Mike

Observer
There are some stereotypes about ham radio operators that tend to be true, but that doesn't mean every ham radio operator is a crusty old man. The only thing all ham radio operators have in common is that they think radios are fun to play with. You'll also find that different bands have different types of conversations. On VHF repeaters, different clubs have different vibes. Some are tight about accepting newcomers, others are welcoming.

There's a whole subset of ham operators that hike (backpack) up mountains and operate portable with batteries on or near the summit. Mostly low-power HF, but some VHF too. Looks like a lot of fun. I have talked to several from my home HF station.

Summits On The Air. It's a great way to combine ham radio with getting exercise. I've activated via bicycling, AT skiing, and hiking to mountain tops.

Mike
K7EHT

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I work for a government agency as well as being part of a FEMA response team and I am required for my position to have a ham license so if the infrastructure goes down, we can still communicate.

SilverMiner

Resistance to License

Just my two cents as a relatively new Baofeng owner:

I'm about to turn 50, so I'm either already in the "crusty old geezer" category or soon to fall into it, yet I have yet to get my Tech license. I've registered at QRZ.com and have handily passed multiple practice tests, yet I still haven't done the deed. Why?

Procrastination is the most likely answer, but the bigger reason is that I sympathize to a certain degree with the banned OP of the recently closed thread. The ham/FCC community is not to my liking, and it has nothing to do with boring weather conversations. The only thing ARRL, Hams, and the FCC have to offer is 100% stick and 0% carrot. There are many alternatives to acquiring a ham license ranging from simply using a cell phone where available and the free to use CB/FRS possiblities. And the best reason most folks can come up with for doing the right thing is "because it's the law" and we'll ruin your life if you don't comply. It is axiomatically assumed that the added benefits of range and power are enough to compel new users to comply. Well, apparently not.

If all that ham licensing has to offer is a reduced threat of legal action, that probably won't cut it in the current regime of relatively lax enforcement as it is. And heaven help those that instinctively will respond calls for radically increased heavy handed enforcement - that was tried sporadically in '76 with the CB bands and failed miserably.

The Chinese have opened the door via low prices for many, many new radio operators. It is up to the radio community to figure out how to embrace them or run the very real risk of becoming extinct or at best irrelevant.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Here it is folks in any form of none face to face communication(ham, telephone, internet VoIP or text enabled chat) there will all ways be people that try to take ownership or control over the others involved. They the people that practically live on that form of communication. They know everything, have done everything and will tell all about how they'd whip you this way and that. All while using language totally unsuitable or appropriate.

As for the weather men, I don't what to tell you other than join in the talk, or don't. No disrespect intended. Its just how it is. you know?

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Expedition Leader
Summits On The Air. It's a great way to combine ham radio with getting exercise. I've activated via bicycling, AT skiing, and hiking to mountain tops.

My first HF contact ever after getting my General Class license was a guy on a bicycle with a 20M hamstick, 2,000 miles away. I still remember the excitement of that response to my first CQ call. That is when it hit me, this is a fun hobby. Pretty cool to be able to talk to someone literally on the far side of the world and listen to what life is like over there. A little like being able to go on an expedition without leaving your house.

Finlay

Triarius
And the best reason most folks can come up with for doing the right thing is "because it's the law" and we'll ruin your life if you don't comply. It is axiomatically assumed that the added benefits of range and power are enough to compel new users to comply. Well, apparently not.

On CB, if someone poorly hacks their radio for more power, and ends up bleeding all over the band, it's not that big a deal - they're only annoying truckers. The CB band is far enough from any other use (particularly 20m which sees a lot of maritime usage) that the damage is contained. And you'll note that you can't buy a non-handheld FRS radio - this is explicitly to prevent those sorts of modifications that cause trouble on CB.

On 2m if you cause interference, you could cause somebody to die. That's not hyperbole - The 2m ham band backs right up to the frequencies used for EMS/Fire/Police and Air Traffic Control. In point of fact, I was acquainted with a young engineer who wasn't very careful about modifying his radio and stomped all over the local police frequencies every time he keyed up. The fact that he was licensed meant that the government had an easier time proving that he should have known better to the jury.

Higher up the frequency band, HAMs have access to the Wifi bands and near the cellular bands - and the same issues apply. I could, if I were stupid/malicious enough, shut down everyone's cell phones in an area. This has actually happened.

And this leaves aside all the commercial uses of the shared spectrum - radio dispatch for taxis and hospital security guards and all that.

Because there are actual repercussions to bad behavior on the air waves, it is in the public interest the people who operate on them have at least some basic training and licensing. Then, at the very least, they can't claim total ignorance when they do something stupid.

Mtn Mike

Observer

I'm about to turn 50, so I'm either already in the "crusty old geezer" category or soon to fall into it, yet I have yet to get my Tech license. I've registered at QRZ.com and have handily passed multiple practice tests, yet I still haven't done the deed. Why?

Procrastination is the most likely answer, but the bigger reason is that I sympathize to a certain degree with the banned OP of the recently closed thread. The ham/FCC community is not to my liking, and it has nothing to do with boring weather conversations. The only thing ARRL, Hams, and the FCC have to offer is 100% stick and 0% carrot. There are many alternatives to acquiring a ham license ranging from simply using a cell phone where available and the free to use CB/FRS possiblities. And the best reason most folks can come up with for doing the right thing is "because it's the law" and we'll ruin your life if you don't comply. It is axiomatically assumed that the added benefits of range and power are enough to compel new users to comply. Well, apparently not.

If all that ham licensing has to offer is a reduced threat of legal action, that probably won't cut it in the current regime of relatively lax enforcement as it is. And heaven help those that instinctively will respond calls for radically increased heavy handed enforcement - that was tried sporadically in '76 with the CB bands and failed miserably.

The Chinese have opened the door via low prices for many, many new radio operators. It is up to the radio community to figure out how to embrace them or run the very real risk of becoming extinct or at best irrelevant.

You make a good point about Chinese radios but I'm not sure if I understand the rest of your reasoning. There's another argument for becoming a ham operator vs using a non-licensed frequency in the same band. The process of becoming a ham is an educational process. Ham's learn how radio communications work; from the theory of electromagnetic waves, to transceiver and antenna design, to operating procedures. After the process of buying a Beofeng, turning it on, and picking a frequency, one really isn't likely to get any benefit from the radio. Sure, you'll be able to communicate with a buddy who is able to dial in the same frequency. If one was familiar with the unlicensed MURS frequencies, maybe a group could use those frequencies. Perhaps in an emergency you'd be able to find a ham frequency to call a ham radio operator(which is, in fact, legal to do without a license). But the usability of radios increases as your knowledge increases. And that's actually what ham radio is all about. In your case you've studied for your tech license you've already gotten the theory, so I'm not singling you out. So I don't get why you wouldn't want to take the next step and get a license. And don't worry, there's no danger or hams becoming extinct. There's more licensed hams now than there ever have been.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader

I just want to say that this is an excellent post, that I agree with, and I won't be surprised if the HAMs try to beat you with their stick (and no carrot). Love the analogy!

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I don't understand the argument for not getting a license, simply because there are some hams that are rule freaks. I *hate* rules. Laws are passed every day by people who don't read them, don't understand them, and don't care. But we're talking about a $20 or so multiple choice test. It's not a big deal.

Without the license, you've got a radio that you can't talk to anyone with, or only to those in your own special group of pals that also don't have a license. So you won't get much experience, you won't be able to help out anyone else with it, you'll be hiding. What's the point? With the license, you can talk to people all over the world, without paying your fees to AT&T or verizon, or some other set of companies. Yeah, there are some rules, but the freedom you get from a truly independent communications system is pretty cool.

Cell phones, Internet, all good stuff, they work most of the time, most places. Dependent on a huge infrastructure, routinely fails during disasters, but eventually they fix it. Ham radio? works all the time, everywhere. Dependent on physics.

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . I have yet to get my Tech license. . . . Why? Procrastination is the most likely answer, but the bigger reason is that I sympathize to a certain degree with the banned OP of the recently closed thread. The ham/FCC community is not to my liking, and it has nothing to do with boring weather conversations. The only thing ARRL, Hams, and the FCC have to offer is 100% stick and 0% carrot. . . . .

There are practical reasons for obtaining a Ham license .

While it may be perfectly legal and some would say socially acceptable for an unlicensed individual to transmit on amateur radio frequencies during an emergency, unlike a pushbutton CB or FRS/GMRS radio a ham radio requires some knowledge and skill to operate. The only way to obtain that knowledge and skill is to practice. The only way to ensure that your radio actually works and will be an effective tool during an emergency is to practice. That includes Baofengs and the other cheap Chinese HTs. (Some of us who own Baofengs would say especially with a Baofeng.)

If the vast majority of individuals using the amateur radio frequencies are licensed Hams, and licensed Hams won't talk to you as an unlicensed operator (actually can't talk to you without violating FCC regulations), how are you going to get that practice?

Isn't it easier just to get your Ham license? You never need to visit the ARRL website or go to a Ham convention (I never have), and you won't need to deal with the FCC until you renew your license 10 years from now. You don't even have to talk about the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven