Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
OBTW Adam. I'm going to plagiarize your rocker switch - dash modification for the additional controls I need to put in the cabin.

Box Rocket

OBTW Adam. I'm going to plagiarize your rocker switch - dash modification for the additional controls I need to put in the cabin.

WHAT!? How dare you? I wanted to be the only person on earth with a switch panel on the dash. ;)

No need for permission from me. Post up pics when you're done.

Box Rocket

Here are a few better pics of the tire carrier. I made a small change by cutting down the wheel mount to bring it closer to the back of the truck. Little better departure angle now and just a bit better all around I think. And the topper went back on last night.

Before:
fb6f0539.jpg

After:
_MG_5883.jpg

_MG_5898.jpg

Details
_MG_5897.jpg

_MG_5901.jpg

_MG_5900.jpg

_MG_5884.jpg

_MG_5887.jpg

_MG_5902.jpg

Box Rocket

And a couple pictures of the rear frame plates that I made. Should help support the extra weight a bit better.
_MG_5895.jpg

_MG_5896.jpg

juicebox

Adventurer
Are you going to put anything in the free space where the factory spare goes? I was thinking of building a box/tray of sorts, so I can put spare parts and stuff in it. I thought it would be cool to put a hole in the tray so I could still lower it down with the spare tire cable thingy, so it'd be easy to get to.

Box Rocket

Eventually I will use that space for something useful. Still trying to decide between a water tank, aux fuel, or some tubes for spare CVs etc. Good place for something that's for sure.

Box Rocket

How different does it feel? I am also going to do this, just not this week.

Truthfully, I expected to feel more of a difference. I guess it feels more "planted" in the rear suspension, but I didn't notice a huge change. I did the frame plates primarily to strengthen the frame because of the extra weight of the tire carrier.

Box Rocket

Removed the front sway bar last week. Slight increase in body roll but nothing bad at all. Still very comfortable to drive.

Built my front skidplate over the weekend. combination of 3/16th plate and some 3/16" 2x3" angle for the mounting brackets. Similar design to the Budbuilt skids. Mounting at the front crossmember and to the steering rack. I'll be working on the trans and belly skids in the next week or so. It will be nice to have essentially full protection under the rig finally.

_MG_6394.jpg

_MG_6395.jpg

_MG_6397.jpg

_MG_6398.jpg

2scars

Adventurer
those are good

The plate looks good man.

I read that the 01-04 frame are a little bit better gusseted in the rear than the early models which may be why it wasn't so noticable. I will also do this, as it is good insurance. Truck keeps getting better.

Brandon

womacje

Adventurer
SEXY!!! There someone said it! Well done!

I notice the Canguru Decal, looking sexy! Also, caught a hint of an Expedition Ops decal reflected off the... something.

As always, your Tacoma is hot. In the immortal words of Wayne and Garth, "We are not worthy!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online