Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Nice. Thanks Nic. There were a couple others on KSL that I called on but they were gone. This must be a new ad as of today. Just sent a text on this one.

Edit: Sale pending on the tire in AF. Just gotta figure out if I can go check it out today.

Edit...again. I got the tire from your link Nic, Thanks! It's a few years old but had almost zero miles on it. Should be just fine for a spare. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Youngunner

Adventurer
Les Schwab usually has used tires with okay tread for cheap. I never buy new tires and nice rims for spares, way too mall crawler and a target for theft.

Box Rocket

Broke out the new Welder for the first time over the weekend. It's a Hobart Handler 187. I'm really liking it so far. Anyway, I welded in the rear frame plates to strengthen the rear frame rails. And made good progress on my tire carrier. Pretty simple set up. Basic dual shear hinge with brass bushings and a 1" bolt. Still need to finish up a few small details and get it painted. Stock spare is temp.

c9278e58.jpg

4a6ab97c.jpg

ff36208b.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nice job Adam. Not seeing how far the hinge is from the back and possible break-over angle, the only thing I might recommend is welding a couple pieces of steel on either side of the hinge as protection for the bottom of the hinge. Remote likelihood of that happening but it's the only vulnerability I see.

Box Rocket

Nice job Adam. Not seeing how far the hinge is from the back and possible break-over angle, the only thing I might recommend is welding a couple pieces of steel on either side of the hinge as protection for the bottom of the hinge. Remote likelihood of that happening but it's the only vulnerability I see.

You're absolutely right. That's the one drawback to this setup, but it was what was going to work the best with my bumper without a total redesign. I think I can add a gusset on each side of the bottom hinge plate that ties back to the bumper and that should keep it strong enough. The plates are 1/4" plate. I will probably turn the 1" bolt upside down so the nut is on top rather than on the bottom. I'd rather bang up the bolt head than the nut/threads. Also thinking about welding a small ring on the bottom plate to protect the bolt too.

austintaco

Explorer
Does the truck tilt to the passenger side now or do you load something else on the driver side to offset the weight? Man, your truck is sharp. I borrowed your system for painting my AP bumper and sliders and I have to say, Rustoleum Satin Black is perfect.

Box Rocket

Does the truck tilt to the passenger side now or do you load something else on the driver side to offset the weight? Man, your truck is sharp. I borrowed your system for painting my AP bumper and sliders and I have to say, Rustoleum Satin Black is perfect.

Nope. Actually I had a very slight lean to the driver side which is part of the reason I did the offset spare. Visibility is better with it offset and now the truck is level.

Box Rocket

Finished tire carrier.

more crappy cell phone pics.

This one is a little deceptive, the tire is really straight, I think the camera makes it look like it tips backward but it doesn't. 33x10.50 BFG AT
fb6f0539.jpg

Added another 1/4" plate to the side of the hinge to strengthen it when I drag it over rocks. I didn't want the lower plate to bend when it takes a hit. Also turned the 1" bolt upside down so the threads don't get damaged.
b0fb420d.jpg

Destaco latch with safety latch.
7e4bcaa3.jpg

I had an old factory Toyota 15x7 chrome wheel that I decided to use since it was just taking up space in the garage. I didn't think it would fit over the brake calipers but it did. Going to clean it up and paint it black soon.
e65d82e8.jpg

7f6d6645.jpg

a9ee406f.jpg

ae3b8554.jpg

License plate in mounted with a section of receiver tube on the tire carrier and a locking hitch pin. Cheapo LED light for it too.
08e14105.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Finished tire carrier.

more crappy cell phone pics.

This one is a little deceptive, the tire is really straight, I think the camera makes it look like it tips backward but it doesn't. 33x10.50 BFG AT
fb6f0539.jpg

Added another 1/4" plate to the side of the hinge to strengthen it when I drag it over rocks. I didn't want the lower plate to bend when it takes a hit. Also turned the 1" bolt upside down so the threads don't get damaged.
b0fb420d.jpg

Destaco latch with safety latch.
7e4bcaa3.jpg

I had an old factory Toyota 15x7 chrome wheel that I decided to use since it was just taking up space in the garage. I didn't think it would fit over the brake calipers but it did. Going to clean it up and paint it black soon.
e65d82e8.jpg

7f6d6645.jpg

a9ee406f.jpg

ae3b8554.jpg

License plate in mounted with a section of receiver tube on the tire carrier and a locking hitch pin. Cheapo LED light for it too.
08e14105.jpg

My tire carrier is offset to the passenger side also. It too looks tilted like yours but it isn't.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nice job - looks good and that extra plate you added to the hinge assembly should make it much more secure!

I did the receiver tube and locking hitch pin as well - an elegantly simple solution for spare tire security.

Just a thought for when you get cabin fever... we used brake line as a wiring conduit, bent to match the tube routing, secured with black nylon cable holders and self-tappers, and split loom for those locations that had to have flexibility for the wiring.

For example:

CIMG1397.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online