Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

I've been prepping for Cruise Moab next week and I've wanted to improve some of my storage solutions.

I have had this army surplus medical supply box for several years now it it works fine in my Land Cruiser and in the trailer as well as in the bed of the truck, but it is large enough that when it is loaded it is VERY heavy and hard to move around if I needed to. That led me to look at a similar approach with smaller boxes.

_MG_1343.jpg

_MG_1341.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a couple new surplus boxes (I can't afford some nice lightweight pelican cases). I found some explosive containers that were roughly half the size of the medical supply box. This would theoretically split the weight of the larger box between these two new ones and make them much easier to move around if needed.

After spraying them with some Rustoleum undercoating, I bolted some tie-down loops to the sides so I could secure them to the rack with turn buckles, but still be able to open the lid and access what I needed without having to undo a bunch of ratchet straps first to get the lids off. They could be secured in the bed rather than on the rack but the things I plan to carry in these boxes are things that I generally need better access to on the trails. So it leaves the bed open for the rest of the camping gear etc that I don't need until I get to a campsite, and I don't have to shuffle things around to get to these.

I'll have to see if I still like them on the rack or somewhere else after a trip or two.

_MG_2143.jpg

_MG_2139.jpg

_MG_2137.jpg

_MG_2132.jpg

This is a much better setup, because even though it does block some visibility, I still have a mostly unobstructed view out the back using the rear view mirror.

_MG_2138.jpg

AirForce C130 tiedowns

_MG_2142.jpg

Also, you'll notice I got my CO2 tank secured in the bed. That's been on my list for far too long so it's nice to have that finally done.

Another thing that needed some attention was my hilift. 10+ years of living on the outside of 4 differnent trucks has taken its toll and it was a rusty peice of useless metal. The climbing pins were almost worthless as they were rusted so badly. I got a rebuild kit with new climbing pins and shear pin. Tore the whole thing down, wire brushed it, repainted it and put the new pins in. Almost looks like it might work again for another 10 years!:victory:

_MG_2135.jpg

7wt

Expedition Leader
Nice job Adam, your truck looks awesome. A question or two, did you have any problems putting the 15" rims on your 03? I assume your truck came with 16" rims so I am kinda curious about rotor clearance and what not. Also, how is the ride with the OME's? I have a set of leaky Donahoes, well they don't leak much any more as they are about empty so I am considering replacing them with some 881's and the new nitro charger what evers. Thanks!

rionorte

:Wow1: Very nice pic! Almost like looking at a Stradivarius :coffeedrink:.
Good looking Toyota. One of 3 Tacomas that I drool over: Yours, Mlachica, and McGrimm.

_MG_2135.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Those C130 ties downs are really slick :cool:

@ 7WT, only 03/04 Tacomas with the rare VSC package can have interference issues with standard 15" wheels, all other should be fine. I've run the 15's on both my 96' and 04' with zero issues in 250k miles.

Box Rocket

Those C130 ties downs are really slick :cool:

Yeah, I've had those things for probably 7-8 years now. A friend of mine that was in the AirForce had 4 of them and a box of the track system that he gave me as a gift. Just been waiting for the right project to use them.

They're totally overkill and probably a little bulky, but I had them sitting on the shelf forever and figured I should try to use them.

7wt

Expedition Leader
7WT, only 03/04 Tacomas with the rare VSC package can have interference issues with standard 15" wheels, all other should be fine. I've run the 15's on both my 96' and 04' with zero issues in 250k miles.

Thanks, I may have to look into that for the next go around. I am trying to decide to either do the 15" wheels or keep the 16's but do the Tundra caliper upgrade. Tough decision.

Box Rocket

Did a little camping over the weekend at White Rocks in Skull Valley, Utah. Fun little spot to camp that's only about an hour or so from home. Here's a couple photos. Was the first time taking the trailer with the Tacoma. The trailer usually gets hauled behind the Cruiser. Worked great! I'll be using it a lot more the summer I hope.

WhiteRocks_02.jpg

WhiteRocks_01.jpg

Box Rocket

I was going to head out in the west desert today with a friend after work, but he hurt his back and decided bombing down some desert roads probably wasn't the best idea so we bagged the desert run. Our local club is having our annual summer BBQ and show-n-shine on Saturday so since I wasn't going out into the desert, I gave the truck a much needed bath and cleaned it up for the show-n shine. Found a nice little road not far from my house this evening and took some photos of the truck all cleaned up.

_MG_4092.jpg

_MG_4096.jpg

_MG_4109.jpg

_MG_4111.jpg

_MG_4128.jpg

_MG_4130.jpg

_MG_4112.jpg

_MG_4147.jpg

_MG_4118.jpg

_MG_4123.jpg

_MG_4133.jpg

_MG_4134.jpg

_MG_4145.jpg

_MG_4125.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Shazaaam, she is looking purdy. I'll likely be rocking the Rav4 Saturday, Candace has the Tacoma down south and the Cruiser is covered head to toe in mud from the Relic Run and I'm just not emotionally ready to clean it yet :D

Box Rocket

Shazaaam, she is looking purdy. I'll likely be rocking the Rav4 Saturday, Candace has the Tacoma down south and the Cruiser is covered head to toe in mud from the Relic Run and I'm just not emotionally ready to clean it yet :D

Actually, the 40 covered in mud is exactly how it should look. Bring it and it'll get my vote. :)

Box Rocket

Still not quite sure what that means but I'll take it nonetheless. Thanks! It was a good time today. I've got some pics I'll share later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__