Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
What kind of wieght will those bars support? I am kicking around the idea of runnign a topper but I will be using a RTT on it.

Box Rocket

What kind of wieght will those bars support? I am kicking around the idea of runnign a topper but I will be using a RTT on it.

I've been trying to find out just exactly what the capacity is. If anyone has info on that it would be appreciated. Sounds like something around 200# is about it.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

so what are your plans for the topper?

For the short term, just keep gear out of the elements. We'll see beyond that. I'm considering a redesign of my bedrack to be able to use it with the topper, either for dual layer storage in the bed, or using it as a rack on top of the topper. Dunno yet.

Box Rocket

Did you find a solution for the turn signals yet? Is the winch plate additional?

Winch plate is part of the bumper.

Turn signals have been moved to the corner marker lights in the grill. Works out great, but the bulbs can be a little tricky to fit in there properly without having them touch the sides of the housing. If they touch the sides of the housing they will fail in short order. I thought about using some LED but with a lower amperage draw the LEDs blink faster, I wasn't sure I wanted that so I got them to fit in the marker lights with the standard bulbs to keep the same speed and I thinks its a cleaner look.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Winch plate is part of the bumper.

Turn signals have been moved to the corner marker lights in the grill. Works out great, but the bulbs can be a little tricky to fit in there properly without having them touch the sides of the housing. If they touch the sides of the housing they will fail in short order. I thought about using some LED but with a lower amperage draw the LEDs blink faster, I wasn't sure I wanted that so I got them to fit in the marker lights with the standard bulbs to keep the same speed and I thinks its a cleaner look.

I did the same thing on my t100 but used a mini bulb. it was 89 by sylvania still pulls the amps needed to allow the signal to blink slowly just like if you had the 1156 bulb in there but with a small bulb. Your tuck looks killer with the topper on btw :sombrero:

Josh

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I did the same thing on my t100 but used a mini bulb. it was 55LL by sylvania still pulls the amps needed to allow the signal to blink slowly just like if you had the 1156 bulb in there but with a small bulb. Your tuck looks killer with the topper on btw :sombrero:

Josh

Thanks for that. I'll have to check out that 55LL bulb. Sounds like just what I need. The larger bulb is currently working fine, but when the time comes for replacement it would be nice to find one that isn't quite as tight a fit.

womacje

Adventurer
Thanks for that. I'll have to check out that 55LL bulb. Sounds like just what I need. The larger bulb is currently working fine, but when the time comes for replacement it would be nice to find one that isn't quite as tight a fit.

Motorcycle guys deal with the rapid blink when switching bulbs, just need a different flasher relay. Check the moto forum here. Bet you could find some good info.

mosupernak

Adventurer
I had that problem on my old Honda CBR600RR after switching to leds. Pretty sure I just installed in-line resisters, but it was 10yrs ago..

Box Rocket

I installed new OEM rotors and pads earlier in the week and also found some time over the weekend to get the new OME D6XL AAL added to my Dakar spring packs. Currently looks like an additional 1.5" of lift, but that will probably settle some as the spring breaks in. I can already tell the load handling will be better. The rear of the truck feels much more sturdy and planted. From the drive to work today I can't tell much of a difference in ride quality. That might be different in the dirt, so we'll see. Install was simple and thanks to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for the parts and some good tips on the install.

For anyone running the Dakar springs you've probably found that they don't handle much extra load very well at all. This D6XL (1st-gen) AAL should give a dramatic improvement in load capacity.

before. Dakar rears, and AllPro 1.5" shackles
side.jpg

After. Dakar rears, D6XL AAL, AllPro 1.5" shackles. it's also worth pointing out a slight weight increase in this photo from the before photo. In the after photo, the spare tire is back under the truck, and although minimal weight, the shovel and hilift have made their way onto the topper rack. So maybe 100* additional weight over the before photo.
AAL_side.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__