Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

So a small observation about these tires.....I've had the BFG ATs for a while. AT's were on the Tacoma when I got it, and I'm on my second set of AT's on my Land Cruiser, and I'm used to seeing a "rim protector" molded into the BFG tires. Its basically just a small ridge in the tire around the perimeter of the rim that is slightly deeper than the rim lip supposedly to help protect the edge of rims from rocks and scrapes. I noticed that the KM2s do not have that. Not a big deal, just wondered if BFG had abandoned that feature from their designs. I'm pretty sure the old style KMs had it too.

rickashay

Explorer
I need to upgrade my camera but I'm currently using a Canon 30D. I have a few lenses that I use. I have a 28-135mm IS that is kinda my "everything" lens. I also have a wide angle 10-22mm. I have a 70-200mm L IS that I LOVE LOVE LOVE, and lastly a 50mm prime lens that I like a lot too. These latest photos were taken with my 50mm.

I'm trying to save up enough money (seems like there's never anything left to put away for things) and purchase a Canon 5D. I've actually got quite a bit of side work photography this year that I'm hoping can justify th upgrade and also pay for the camera.

Ahhh a Canon shooter, same here. I have a 450D though and I too, am saving for a 5D...mmm full frame + HD video!! I just got a 24-105L @ Christmas and want that 70-200L IS for my next lens. I have heard nothing but good things about it!!

I have checked out your LC build as well, its always nice looking at build threads with impressive photos. keep it up.

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
Love this truck! Great work so far. Been considering a double cab recently, and maybe a solid axle swap.

Newbie question, but what kind of mileage are you seeing?

Thanks!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Adam, STOP! Don't cut anything!

I don't think you need to trim anything to fit those rear tires. I had the same issue with my 33's and Dakars. I added an axle relocation plate(s) to the base of the pack and re-centered my rear axle by moving it like a half inch to the rear. This isn't anything new for the Tacoma - Scott Brady had the same issue with his Tacoma and the 255's - check his write-up.

You can get them from several vendors but I got mine from Roger Brown. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

Box Rocket

Adam, STOP! Don't cut anything!

I don't think you need to trim anything to fit those rear tires. I had the same issue with my 33's and Dakars. I added an axle relocation plate(s) to the base of the pack and re-centered my rear axle by moving it like a half inch to the rear. This isn't anything new for the Tacoma - Scott Brady had the same issue with his Tacoma and the 255's - check his write-up.

You can get them from several vendors but I got mine from Roger Brown. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

Yes I am aware of the relocation plates. I have no intention of cutting any sheetmetal unless I'm absolutely forced to. The 255's that you guys are mentioning are a taller tire than these by nearly an inch so that makes things better for me too.

I had lunch with some fellow wheelers yesterday, including Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters and we were talking briefly about fitting the tires. They seem pretty centered to me already. Kurt mentioned the observation regarding the relocation plates and that it seems that it is more of an issue with the regular cab and extra-cab trucks because the bed dimensions are different than on the double cab. I don't have any hard data to back it up but maybe the exact location of the spring hangers in relationshop to the wheel well is very slightly different than the same relationship on the double-cabs. As a result, the use of relocation plates with the Dakar springs is a good solution on the reg-cab and extra-cab trucks. You may argue that Scott Brady needed to use relocation plates on his double-cab. That is true but he was also using Deaver springs instead of Dakars which could have small differences in the center pin location resulting in the need for a relocation plate.

Again, I'm not positive but just using that as a point to say I'm not being hasty about just hacking things up. I'll trim if I need to, if I don't I'm not going to.

So far, the only rubbing has been very minor at the edge of the fender flare inside the wheel well. I trimmed that just a little to take the "lip" off (if you can even call it that). Haven't noticed any rubbing since. I still need to flex it more to see if additional trimming is needed but I don't think it's gonna take much.

Tango, thanks for the headsup.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
No worries Adam - my pleasure; I'd hate to see your truck go through unnecessary surgery.

Your picture and description made me recall my rubbing issues when stuffing the rears - I'd drag my 285/75/16 KM's on the forward portion of the rear fender flare from what I could tell by the witness marks. Installing the plate, without any problems with the centering pin, resolved the issue.

All this may soon be moot when my Ballistic Fab spring hangers arrive and get my ALCAN's installed!

CIMG0730.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
No worries Adam - my pleasure; I'd hate to see your truck go through unnecessary surgery.

Your picture and description made me recall my rubbing issues when stuffing the rears - I'd drag my 285/75/16 KM's on the forward portion of the rear fender flare from what I could tell by the witness marks. Installing the plate, without any problems with the centering pin, resolved the issue.

All this may soon be moot when my Ballistic Fab spring hangers arrive and get my ALCAN's installed!

CIMG0730.jpg

Not trying to hijack BoxRocket but I got a question for Tango,
I am running basically the same tiresize and wheels (285/75/16 Treadwright BFG AT copies on FZJ80 wheel even black!). What are you running up front for suspension? I am going to redo mine in the spring and want to rid myself of the rubbing. Are you running wheelspacers?

http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/Rattles02/?action=view&current=posttrip1.jpg

Box,
I love the way yours sits with the new tires!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Not trying to hijack BoxRocket but I got a question for Tango,
I am running basically the same tiresize and wheels (285/75/16 Treadwright BFG AT copies on FZJ80 wheel even black!). What are you running up front for suspension? I am going to redo mine in the spring and want to rid myself of the rubbing. Are you running wheelspacers?

At that time I was running:

OME 882 Front Coil Springs
CS046R Rear Leaf Springs; added a Dakar AAL 29XL because they were running flat.
OME N91S Shocks
OME N85 Shocks; swapped for N76 shocks to increase travel for the added height of the AAL.

No wheel spacers but had a slight rub against the frame rail at full turn but it wasn't a mobility stopper nor was it enough to harm the tires.

Here's how it sat loaded...

CIMG0867.jpg

But it looks a little different today...

CIMG0958.jpg

CIMG0957-1.jpg

Hijack off...

penangtoy

Adventurer
At that time I was running:

OME 882 Front Coil Springs
CS046R Rear Leaf Springs; added a Dakar AAL 29XL because they were running flat.
OME N91S Shocks
OME N85 Shocks; swapped for N76 shocks to increase travel for the added height of the AAL.

No wheel spacers but had a slight rub against the frame rail at full turn but it wasn't a mobility stopper nor was it enough to harm the tires.

Here's how it sat loaded...

CIMG0867.jpg

But it looks a little different today...

CIMG0958.jpg

CIMG0957-1.jpg

Hijack off...

DROOL:Wow1:

Box Rocket

I appreciate the input Tango. That's the whole point of threads like these is to see others experience and how its working.

Can't way to see your truck with the rear suspension all buttoned up. It's gonna be sweet!

Oh and I'd like to see a close up of the hinge on your swing out. My homemade rear bumper has a similar design to yours (minus a little tubing on the corners) but I'm looking at ideas for hinges if I ever do a swingout. thnx

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Can't way to see your truck with the rear suspension all buttoned up. It's gonna be sweet!

Oh and I'd like to see a close up of the hinge on your swing out. My homemade rear bumper has a similar design to yours (minus a little tubing on the corners) but I'm looking at ideas for hinges if I ever do a swingout. thnx

Me too Adam!

Will do. Built last year but someone else got pics and I never got around to getting copies. In the interim while you're noodling out your design, the hinge is stupid-simple, rock solid, and trouble-free the last year I've had it on.

spindle_MED.jpg

More details... http://www.ironpigoffroad.com//index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61&products_id=74

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__