Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

I might have missed it, but where did you pick up that track?

It was given to me about 5 years ago by a friend that used to be in the Air Force. It was a track system used in C130s and other cargo planes. What I have was in about 8" sections so I'm using 5 per side on the rack. The tie downs that I got with the track are extreme overkill, but cool.

Here's what I have
C-130_Cargo_mount.jpg

I have 4 of those massive tie-downs.

But as you can see in the pic I posted the track appears to be essentially the same as what you can get elsewhere and works with other readily available tie-downs like the one you can also see in the photo.

Sorry that's not much help but for me it was free stuff that I finally got around to using. I have about 8' left of the track that I can use on another project.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Nice looking track. For those of you that don't have access to discarded Air Force stuff, Hi Lift makes the Slide-N-Lock system that works great. Sorry for the hijack.

1074821925_M6vwC-L.jpg

Box Rocket

Nice looking track. For those of you that don't have access to discarded Air Force stuff, Hi Lift makes the Slide-N-Lock system that works great. Sorry for the hijack.

1074821925_M6vwC-L.jpg

Not a hijack at all. I haven't had a reason to look for other sources for track systems so I appreciate you posting one available source.

joker2041

Adventurer
Hey Box Rocket,

From what I can tell your sliders from Trail-Gear had to be assembled somewhat. Now it looks as if they come already welded up with the frame brackets and all. Has something changed from when you bought them?

RabidRover

Observer
My wife will regret that I found this thread :drool: I have a 2002 Taco like yours and was considering the same kind of build as I already have a solid axle truck if I really want to get in trouble ... I do not want to go extreme with my Taco as I still need something that fits in the parkade at work. Thanks for sharing ... truck looks awesome and you have saved some research time for me on the suspension upgrades.

I have had my truck since new. I wanted to make sure you were aware of the frame recall on the truck for corrosion ... make sure yours is okay.

Box Rocket

Hey Box Rocket,

From what I can tell your sliders from Trail-Gear had to be assembled somewhat. Now it looks as if they come already welded up with the frame brackets and all. Has something changed from when you bought them?

I think you can order them from Trail-Gear with the frame brackets already welded to them, but it will cost more for shipping since it creates a MUCH larger shipping package than without the legs etc already attached.

I liked being able to do the final assembly myself so I could set the angle that I wanted the sliders to sit at and how for under the truck etc they would be. If you have Trail-Gear weld them up, you are stuck with however they send them to you which may or may not be what you want. They don't do custom jobs on that from what I understand.

Box Rocket

My wife will regret that I found this thread :drool: I have a 2002 Taco like yours and was considering the same kind of build as I already have a solid axle truck if I really want to get in trouble ... I do not want to go extreme with my Taco as I still need something that fits in the parkade at work. Thanks for sharing ... truck looks awesome and you have saved some research time for me on the suspension upgrades.

I have had my truck since new. I wanted to make sure you were aware of the frame recall on the truck for corrosion ... make sure yours is okay.

Thanks and good luck.:victory:

Box Rocket

Got a few things done over the weekend.....

Picked up some Rain-X headlight restorer and refinished my headlights that were in bad shape. Lots of oxidation and yellowing. They don't look perfect, but a vast improvement over what they were.

Got the new license plate light wired up, so I can be legal. Used the same LED type that was posted earlier that mounts right to the plate. Works great and is way brighter than it needs to be and the white LEDs are almost blue so I guess I've got a little legit "ricer" aspect to the truck now. :victory:

Also wired up the converter and lighting connector for towing. Now I can finally tow my little trailer around.

Pulled the front end off the truck and painted the chrome grill Satin Black. While I had the grill and bumper off I welded up some new light tab brackets to remount my Hella Black Magic lights to the front. I originally had them mounted right to the bumper but it was too flimsy. The new brackets are welded to the lower radiator support and the tabs come out between the bumper and the grill. MUCH more solid now. ran out of time before I was able to get the lights wired up. Might be another week before I can get to that, but it will be nice have some extra light for those night runs.

Didn't get any pics of these items yet but I will later today. Here's an old photo of the Hellas when they were mounted to the bumper. They are in the same location, but better mounting.
IMG_7138.jpg

Box Rocket

So I guess I'll be removing those light tabs sooner than I thought. Ordered a new bumper yesterday. So it's probably not the best for animal strikes but it's strong and light and high clearance. Should have it in a few days. Plan on welding on new light tabs and probably adding some plate to the top to close it off a little. Just leave the center open for winch access.

120187-1-k.jpg

Box Rocket

Worked most of the day yesterday on the new bumper. Added some plate to the top and some light tabs and got it painted. Installed it on the truck this morning. Still need to figure out the turn signals. I think the bulb is gonna be too big to work well in the corner light. So I'm looking at other light options to go on the bumper. Might try out TG's new LED turn sigs. I really like how it turned out. TG has done a nice job with this bumper. I definitely like it better with some plate on the top.

Bumper1.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

Bumper3.jpg

Bumper5.jpg

Bumper6.jpg

Bumper4.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looks great Adam. Hard to tell from the pics, is there something in place to keep rogue rocks or twigs from jambing through your cooling system? That was one of my biggest qualms with tube from bumpers (well that and state bumper laws) but this one seems to protect more of the radiator?

Applejack

Explorer
Very nice! I like how it doesn't stick out too far forward. A lot of tube bumpers out there seem to have great approach angles until you see how far they stick out.
If I hadn't just bought my ARB I might have tried to put one of those on my 4Runner.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i like it, kinda look like my rig now:sombrero:. i put the turn signal bulbs in the side markers on mine and they work great.

digitalferg

Adventurer
Looks great Adam -- and I'm not a big fan of tube bumpers normally. Nice job getting some extra finishing touches on it.

-Ferg-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__