Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Ok, went out and got a couple measurements. These are just for the rear.

Measurement from the ground to the highest point of the wheelarch (bottom edge of fender flare).

At the time of install: 39.75" both sides (refer to earlier post in this thread for photo of measurement)

Today: Passenger rear: 38" Driver Rear 38.25"

So I've lost between 1.5"-1.75" of height since the time of install, roughly 3 months ago.

Since then, the truck has been used for 99% daily driving duties. One mild wheeling trip, completely unloaded to Rattlesnake. And this past weekend camping trip with the load listed above. Other than that I've carried one bed full of landscape bark for the yard.

Box Rocket

Since you asked for fender to wheel center measurements, I went out and got those too.

Passenger rear: 23"
Driver Rear: 23.25"

Measurement was 25" at time of install.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Since you asked for fender to wheel center measurements, I went out and got those too.

Passenger rear: 23"
Driver Rear: 23.25"

Measurement was 25" at time of install.

I'm 23.5" +- 1/4" on both sides of mine with the AAL and the RTT mounted, which from my notes is still 2-7/8" higher than it was when stock. So I'd roughly guess yours is close to 2.5" over the stock height. The springs will have a somewhat flat profile to them I can only assume by design as both the OME's on my 96' as well as my current Dakars looked the same (went back through photos).

Here they are on my 04' DC:
Pics 032 (Medium).jpg

So, I'm a bit less worried about a spring issue and thinking we need to get you some AAL's to bump up the spring capacity. Think it will do the trick?

Box Rocket

I'm 23.5" +- 1/4" on both sides of mine with the AAL and the RTT mounted, which from my notes is still 2-7/8" higher than it was when stock. So I'd roughly guess yours is close to 2.5" over the stock height. The springs will have a somewhat flat profile to them I can only assume by design as both the OME's on my 96' as well as my current Dakars looked the same (went back through photos).

Here they are on my 04' DC:
View attachment 43093

So, I'm a bit less worried about a spring issue and thinking we need to get you some AAL's to bump up the spring capacity. Think it will do the trick?

Good to know that I'm at least in the correct range. Here's my concern. I don't have a constant load on mine like you do, so I've been hesitant to use an AAL for that reason. But it seems like the right solution given that I'll need the extra capacity anytime I do have a load. My next question is this....I've already ordered a pair of extended shackles (should be here today or tomorrow) because I'm sitting slightly lower already in the back even unloaded and I didn't think I wanted to change spring rate. Should I keep the shackles and also do the AAL? What kind of increase in height is there with the AAL? or is it just an increase in load capacity? I should gain ~1" in height from the shackles, which is about what I think I need as things currently sit. It will probably put the back end just a touch higher than the front, but not much and I don't mind a slight rake especially once it gets loaded and evens out.

cruiseroutfit

Good to know that I'm at least in the correct range. Here's my concern. I don't have a constant load on mine like you do, so I've been hesitant to use an AAL for that reason. But it seems like the right solution given that I'll need the extra capacity anytime I do have a load. My next question is this....I've already ordered a pair of extended shackles (should be here today or tomorrow) because I'm sitting slightly lower already in the back even unloaded and I didn't think I wanted to change spring rate. Should I keep the shackles and also do the AAL? What kind of increase in height is there with the AAL? or is it just an increase in load capacity? I should gain ~1" in height from the shackles, which is about what I think I need as things currently sit. It will probably put the back end just a touch higher than the front, but not much and I don't mind a slight rake especially once it gets loaded and evens out.

You will get ~1/2" - 3/4" out of the AAL depending on the loads on your truck. For example I only got closer to 3/8" but I do have ~200 lbs of constant over-stock weight back there. I would get the shackles installed, load it up again for a trip and see what it does at that point.

Box Rocket

You will get ~1/2" - 3/4" out of the AAL depending on the loads on your truck. For example I only got closer to 3/8" but I do have ~200 lbs of constant over-stock weight back there. I would get the shackles installed, load it up again for a trip and see what it does at that point.

Sounds good. I'll try that and then talk to you about AAL's. Thanks for the help!

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Suck the springs settled so much. Do the shackle it will help with articulation and give you some lift. Do you still have your old spring? If so you can take them apart and cut the leaves down and fit them into your new spring pack. You will get lift and added payload capacity but without stiffening the ride like an AAL. More leaves are better that less thicker leaves

cruiseroutfit

Suck the springs settled so much. Do the shackle it will help with articulation and give you some lift. Do you still have your old spring? If so you can take them apart and cut the leaves down and fit them into your new spring pack. You will get lift and added payload capacity but without stiffening the ride like an AAL. More leaves are better that less thicker leaves

Fwiw OME AAL's are not a 'thick' AAL like a traditionally available springs. In most cases they are in fact identical in thickness to the regular springs in the pack. So identical you can convert some applications from light to medium, medium to heavy and you would have the exact same spring rate, flex, etc as the oe heavier spring.

Box Rocket

So a little information that might help someone else in the future.....

I've been using the OME shackles with greasable pins, and I'm in the process of changing to a slightly longer shackle. I decided to go with the All Pro Shackles because I could order individual peices rather than the full kit. I did this because the OME pins are 18mm and so are the All Pro ones. So I ordered everything but the top shackle pins thinking that I could just reuse those. I needed new lower pins because the AP shackles are a straight plate with a spacer instead of a bent plate to accomodate the change in width between the shackle hanger and the spring eye.

Well it turns out that the OME pins are in fact 18mm but only for the bolt shank that rides inside the bushing. They neck down to a smaller diameter at the threads. When I went to install the new shackles last night I found out quickly it wasn't going to work because the OME pins are too small where the plate would ride on the pins. So, I had to order new upper pins from All Pro today.

So for anyone that is changing shackles, it's best to just get the full 'kit'.

Box Rocket

Got my new shackles installed over the weekend. Measured out to .75" height gained on the driverside. 1" Gained on the Passenger side. Looks MUCH better IMO. Sits very close to level (if not ~.5" high in the back) just how I wanted it. Not a huge fan of the low rear "prerunner" look. more importantly I hope it will keep a little more height when I get it loaded. Gonna try it out this week with a load and see how it does. If it's not good enough, then I'll start looking at AAL's.

Box Rocket

Finishing up a few more things in preparation for an upcoming trip. Got the new CB installed last night. Uniden Pro530xl with a little 5w external speaker. Fits well in the ashtray location. Need to figure out a better mic clip than the one that came with it, then it's all done.

sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.
CB_01.jpg

And I think I'm pretty much done with the bedrack finally, with the exception of running the wires for the work lamp, and bolting in the tiedown track system. There is a post on each side of the rack for the work lamp so I'll run wires to each side so it can be plugged into either side (or I'll see if I can find another one of the lights at a local warehouse). Wanted to be able to use my Thule ski rack in the winter so it's on there temporarily. Ski rack comes off and a roof top tent mounts up. I built the removeable side bars that I mentioned earlier but I don't think they'll be used very often. However, if I needed sides on the rack for some reason the bars I built along with the ski rack make for a somewhat useable basket. Might be hard to see but the two parts that stick out off the back of the rack are for the RTT mounting feet. there are two small tabs that stick down off that part. I made a little bracket the bolts to those tabs (one on each side) that will hold down a couple of Scepter cans. Worked out well so I didn't have to drill any holes in the bed.

bedrack7.jpg

bedrack8.jpg

bedrack9.jpg

Here it is a couple weeks ago with a friend's old style Mombasa tent mounted up. It's a long sucker on the short 5' bed, but it works.

RTT_01.jpg

Now I just need to get a bracket of somekind built for the ARB fridge and I'll be pretty close to ready for the trip.

CYi5

Explorer
I wish someone would make an affordable skinny RTT like that. Having the current model 12" mombasa is just silly on the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__