Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

I did not get the annex with the new tent. Since I have an annex already with my other tent I don't think it's necessary to really comment on an annex. But the new Ruggedized tent is very nice. I think the upgrades to the Ruggedized models are very nice and worth the extra cost. The Diamond Plate base platform alone is a welcome upgrade. There is a much more sturdy feel from that alone. There is a clear difference in the tent material too. The heavier weight fabric has a much more durable feel and the double sealed seams look like they'll help a lot with weatherproofing. My week in Cruise Moab was not wet or humid so I didn't see any real results from the anti-condensation mat but I am sure that the mat will be another valuable piece. Fortunately the mats can be added to standard tents. That is one of the only complaints I've had with my standard model Autana tent is that there is condensation under the mattress in the mornings.
The Kukenam XL is huge inside and for my trailer it is a perfect size at 4x6' closed footprint. The extra space inside is great. I don't know if there is really any truth behind it but my wife commented that it seemed more comfortable than the Autana. Not sure if that's a results of the anti-condensation mat or just that she had a good night's sleep, but she feels like it's better.
IMO, the standard model tents are a great value and are very durable on their own. For the average person who is camping in the tent a couple times a month the standard models will give years of comfortable use. For the guy that is taking extended trips far more frequently and spending 100+ nights a year in a RTT the Ruggedized models are great with a higher level of durability. Or if you just want the piece of mind that your tent is gonna handle anything you throw it at the Ruggedized is a great choice.
I have loved my Autana tent, and the new Kukenam XL has been a great addition. I am probably going to sell my Autana w/annex and swap it for a regular size Ruggedized Kukenam (in orange) for permanent mounting on the truck. I will also probably sell the grey Kukenam XL and swap it for an orange one. I just like the look of the orange tents. For me the annex is not as necessary anymore with two tents. We got the annex for a place for the kids to sleep but with the two tents my wife and I can sleep in the smaller one on the truck and the 4 kids can sleep in the big XL on the trailer. Should work out great.

NA EP3

Observer
After watching Expedition Overland and reading this thread, it's time to get a welder. My Discovery needs a trailer. Love the build. My jaw dropped when I saw the RTT lifting solution.

Box Rocket

After watching Expedition Overland and reading this thread, it's time to get a welder. My Discovery needs a trailer. Love the build. My jaw dropped when I saw the RTT lifting solution.

Cool. A trailer is a really fun welding project. If you're a new welder, spend some time practicing before you weld key parts like the frame and suspension.

JeepGoesBeep

I've been lurking around the forums here for close to a year and Ive been following this thread and was wondering if you could answer a question if you dont mind? How much space did you end up with between the frame and your tire? Sorry if you answered this in the thread already but I read back through it at work today the best I could and couldnt find it anywhere (even read through the one on ih8mud)

Thanks! and great trailer...it has inspired many builds including mine :)

Box Rocket

Depending on the tire (right now it has 33x10.50s) I have about 2.5" - 3" between the inside of the of the tire and the frame.

J.G

Observer
Since no one has asked yet, did you fab the rack over the bed of your truck or is that something you bought? If you fabbed it yourself, could we see a drawing, I have thought about doing something similar on my F150, but I chicken out or put it off. You have done a great job with it all, everything you have a hand in seems to shine.

Box Rocket

Since no one has asked yet, did you fab the rack over the bed of your truck or is that something you bought? If you fabbed it yourself, could we see a drawing, I have thought about doing something similar on my F150, but I chicken out or put it off. You have done a great job with it all, everything you have a hand in seems to shine.

I built the bedrack on my truck. I apologize for not sharing plans or measurements. I have been building/selling them so I would rather not share details. Here's a photo of one I built.

shibubba

I love this build. So simple, yet very effective. It may have been asked before...But what is the over all weight of the trailer?? Loaded and unloaded I guess.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I love this build. So simple, yet very effective. It may have been asked before...But what is the over all weight of the trailer?? Loaded and unloaded I guess.

Thanks! I have never taken it to be weighed so I can't give exact numbers, but my super scientific guessing power leads me to say that unloaded weight is probably 600-750lbs including the tent. Loaded weight can vary depending on the trip but I would think the max weight I've had in the trailer would top it out somewhere in the 1800lbs range

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Awesome trailer build, I am planning on doing something similar in a few years when children are involved in my life. Very nice and inspiring work!

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Should we start a "Let's get Adam and his truck/trailer out to Overland Expo EAST" fund? :)

My trailer wants to grow up and be like your trailer one day...

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Should we start a "Let's get Adam and his truck/trailer out to Overland Expo EAST" fund? :)

My trailer wants to grow up and be like your trailer one day...

Sounds great to me! I'd love to make the trip and if you guys fund it, all the better. :) I think I'd do something like a multi-day offroad excursion instead rather than Overland Expo but that's just me. I don't fit in at the Expo. I don't own enough Khaki. ;)

shibubba

Might be a silly question, but it has been bugging me for a bit. Your tongue length, is it ~4' + your lock n' roll making it a bit longer of a tongue? Or is the 4' including coupler?

I only ask because I have a swing out with a full width arm, and when its open it requires almost 5'. I will be running a max coupler and it appears that when it is all bolted up it will add another XX" to my effective length.

Or am I totally out to lunch on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven