Budget subaru build? possible? capable?

Eric_

Hows it going everyone! very first post, and very excited to be a part of this forum.

Im in need of some advice and who better to ask than you fine folk! I currently have a 370z, I bought it at 18, now at 25.. well priorities change as you get older. Over the years I've grown to become a big outdoor person and hit a point where I've outgrown my car and in the process of getting rid of it. Im considering a Subaru Xv Crosstrek, Its no jeep, 4runner, or any of the top name rigs but I'm wondering if its the right choice for me. I need a rig that gets decent mpg, awd/4wd, decent exploration/overland vehicle, road trip vehicle, and cheap. I commute a lot! and although no off-road rig will get decent mpg, a mildly lifted crosstrek with tires might still get me in the 20mpg range. Its just me, my gf and the dog so i don't need a ton of space and plan on sleeping in a tent or maybe inside if i can fit with the seats down.. its AWD and they can be bought used fairly cheap with great resale value if I ever sell it. Im still in school and working as a volunteer fire fighter which is the main reason id like a decent "check all boxes" kind of rig. Until I get a paid job, money is on the tighter end. Budget-wise ill be purchasing used and shooting for under $23k.

Im curious as to its capabilities as a overland/exploration vehicle?
It lacks power and I'm not sure if that poses any issues?

Im open to other ideas!
jeep renegade maybe?
forester has more power but not a huge fan..
I'm at a loss!

CurtStyler

Observer
I think a Crosstrek would be a good option. I'm recommending one to my sister (she just graduated college) when she's ready to buy a car.

I have an Outback myself because I needed the extra room and travel ALOT (25k per year) so the smoother ride was a bonus for me. My Outback on oversized tires gets about 30 MPG on the highway and 26 around town, the Crosstrek should beat that. Even with a lift and bigger tires you will probably be in the upper 20's. That changes if you have roof gear and such, but I still think it would be a very economical daily driver.

I looked at the Renegade but I felt the Subaru had better quality IMO. You can probably get a new Crosstrek for your price, or a very slightly used one if you want. I will say that Subaru certified used vehicles have great warranties, better than new. Subaru Certified Used Warranty Info So if you want the most for your money that might be a bonus although I'm not sure how warranties work with lifts or other mods you may want to do.

Subarus have become very popular in recent years, and the Crosstreks are some of the most popular cars they sell. Check out Instagram for some awesome builds and to see what they are capable of. It's not a 4Runner or a Wrangler, but they do make great daily drivers and can usually handle more than most people throw at them.

Good Luck!

EMrider

Explorer
Crosstreks are great vehicles and based on my Outback, likely to give you above 25mpg.

A Crosstrek could have taken me 90% of the places I've camped or explored, and maybe 95% with some mild damage.

If you can find one in your price range, grab it and go have fun. No mods needed.

R

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Lifetime mileage on my forester is a little above 25, this includes warming it up in the winter and idling in fast food drive throughs. Also I haven't had it long enough to run summer fuel through it.

A crosstech should do better on mpg. I wouldnt do the bigger tires myself.

Eric_

Thank you all for the great responses! ill hopefully be test driving a crosstrek tomorrow, maybe ill try out the forester and outback. You never know! definitely open to other vehicles but my restrictions to what I want in one do limit me to only a handful of possibilities!

DanCooper

Adventurer
Start here. This build is pretty nice.

I have a 2008 Outback LL Bean that pretty much goes anywhere I want to go. It doesn't rock crawl, nor jump stumps, but it is very capable. Best wishes and good luck on finding what you desire, and welcome to the forums.

Eric_

I have a 2008 Outback LL Bean that pretty much goes anywhere I want to go. It doesn't rock crawl, nor jump stumps, but it is very capable. Best wishes and good luck on finding what you desire, and welcome to the forums.
thank you! I just stumbled upon the subaru builds thread and I'm pretty impressed with the outback! I also wasnt a huge fan the forester but some tires and minor lift make subarus look like completely different animals!

real3175

Observer
My wife has a '14 Crosstrek, we live in 8 months of cold and its very mountainous so her average MPG is only about 22. No lift, we rock winter tires pretty much all year round - studs in the winter non-studded in the summer. As stated above, Instagram is a great platform for ideas as well, I follow many Subaru owners there for ideas.

Stock clearance is roughly 9 inches so IMO a lift really isn't needed but depends on the terrain you plan to tackle. Head room isn't that great and sleeping in it with the seats down isn't possible for me (I'm 6'6").

I do love how easy it is to maintain, Subaru really makes it easy - I change the oil without jacks/ramps and its not an issue at all. Also, very affordable - I doubt you would have any regrets buying it, space can be tight even with only 2 people and a dog but a roof rack is always an option.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
As far as sleeping in subarus, I'm not sure. I'm able to sleep in my blazer because the seat folds flat and I have enough room at 5'10'' tall. The forester rear seat doesnt fold flat and cargo area is a few inches shorter so unless I removed the rear seats and made a flat platform I'd say it woud'nt work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl