Budget suggestions for potential IIa

Wander

Expedition Leader
I looked at a fantastic 64 IIa yesturday that if I can find a way to get it I think it would be an excellent choice for my first series Rover. I used all the tips and advice gleened for you all (thank you) and looked it over closely. I was prepared with flash light and large screwdriver but found that I didn't have anything to knock or probe-the frame and bulkhead were clear of rust. The frame wasn't galvanized but just clean. Everything the seller can find indicates the Rover has lived it's life in the Charlotte NC area and has always been an extra vehicle and very likely garage/barn kept. The motor fired right up with a little choke (it was a pretty cold/raw day) and settled into a very smooth sewing machine like idle. So the first two "majors" checked out better than OK and the engine was also a nice plus. After letting it warm a bit we headed out to drive it along the lanes of the sellers farm. If there is a better way to test I don't know what it is, with the grey skies, cold biting wind and rolling pasture lands it looked very much like the English countryside. We splashed through mud puddles went into a field to go round the combine transporter and went up some climbs and down the other side. It was great for me as this was the first time I've driven a series. We then exited the farm onto a rual road to take it through the gears and so I could experience the neck snapping acceleration!:smiley_drive: I did have to adjust my shifting speed downward to not rush things but I soon found my rythmn and was really enjoying my self and trying to remain objective (not easy). So it drove, shifted, braked, etc better than expected. From reading posts here and other forums I expected a rough ride and while it was not anything near plus it also wasn't has harsh as I anticipated.

Now the things I noticed that will need $$.

It does not have heater. I am in eastern NC so not exactly an area known for cold so if I add one it will be purely by choice. I have seen some kits for about 1K, is this high or about normal?

The seats are not stock-far from it. Someone added two buckets with a center section from what I guess to be a late 60's early 70's GM muscle car. They are nice and would be a good find for someone looking for this set up for their 69 Tempest but they are way oversized for the Rover. To add insult to injury they are bolted to the seat box and have no adjustment. The size of the seat bottoms is such that you can not acces the pedals without employing some amusing contortions. I found the Frankenstein stomping metiod to work for me, the seller is taller that I am and can not engage the clutch with the door closed. The seat are also covered in a iridescent white vinyl that shifts to a pale gold at the right angle-psycadelic! Not letting the seats obscure my opinion I made a note that this will have to addressed right away. I'm seeing stock replacement seat in the $500 range and some for less depending on the quality of vinyl. The seat belts were also removed so that will have to added for safety. I'm hoping to find something used for these-what should I expect to pay?

The speedo was swinging about but that's a fairly easy fix from what I've found.

The rest of what it needs is time and elbo grease. It's almost too nice, it has a shine to the paint but the paint shop also covered the cappings, rivots and painted the rear cross memeber the same color. So nothing but time to uncover the cappings and some black paint for the parts that should be black.

That's about it, it's almost too nice which makes me worried I won't be able to raise enough $$ to buy. We'll see in January.

So what do you think? Does $500-$800 right off to correct the seats and reinstall belts sound right or will I need more. The heater can wait, maybe I can find a used one and restore it before I install-if I do.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this in case I can't afford it and to remain objective but I don't think I'll find another in this condition.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Some pictures.....

Attachments

• 64 IIA 1.jpg
    64 IIA 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 64 IIA 2.jpg
    64 IIA 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 64 IIA 5.jpg
    64 IIA 5.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 59

James86004

Expedition Leader
There is something goofy about the rear crossmember, so check there for rust and any repairs. They also painted the galvanized trim, which is something that really irritates me, but that is personal. Otherwise, it sounds like a great truck.

If you are over 6 ft tall, or have a long torso, I recommend you get the stock seats or perhaps some high backs. If you are shorter than that, the seats from a VW Vanagon fit nicely and are way more comfortable. They lift your bottom up an inch or so, so taller folks have to bend down to see red lights.

justfred

Adventurer
Looks great!

I don't know from heaters, but the windows look like they close, so that's a good start.

Stock seats for $500ish sounds correct, hopefully there isn't rail/hardware removed, tho there wasn't much of it to begin with; what some people do is find Defender seats, a lot more expensive but a lot more comfortable, probably something to do later.

How was the tranny? I assume it was a full syncro, and you didn't have to double-clutch between 1 and 2? If so that means it was probably replaced at some point, which is likely a good thing. If not - be gentle and avoid the urge to downshift into first.

The steering wheel is on the wrong site, but that can be corrected as well!

Wander

Expedition Leader
Thanks. Yes the tracks were off the seat box so that will have to be included. The tranny is full synchro and shifted smoothly-good clutch solid shifts so I'm thinking it was replaced. I did see some new hardware on the master cylinder as well. The cheap amber lights on the front bumber will have to go but that it has wiring in place for an upgrade to something proper is a plus. The prior owner obviously spent a good amount on paint but didn't know enough not to have the cappings painted or that he could have saved some money by not having then prepped either. They are very smooth and have a shine. The other thing that told me this Rover has been lightly used is that there is not a dent or depression anywhere along the body. The safari roof is also interesting as it's just the top panel. The guy didn't include the vents in the top but he paid probably a lot of money to have the top panel installed. So I guess it's a spoiler now which is good for when you get over 30!

I noticed the odd looking rear cross member too, James-It doesn't look stock from what I've seen but I haven't seen enough to know for sure. If it had been replaced they inlcuded the PTO hole and did a clean job.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Jeep seats fit very well. I'll admit I buy new Bestop ones but any out of a Wrangler should fit. A simple plate and square tube adapter converts between th bolt patterns. Alittle bit of careful choice of square tube and you can lift the seat base over the flange at the back of the seat box and gain an extra inch to 2 inches of leg room.

czenkov

Adventurer
Great color! It looks like someone welded angle iron over the old rear crossmember. Take, or ask for some, pictures that show the top, bottom, rear, and from the underside looking back at the rear crossmember (you get the idea) then also get some of the entire frame. If I were you be wary of anything looking like fresh paint on the frame. DO NOT get emotionally attached! Remain ready to walk away - trust me I know about this. Good luck!

Edit; Wow they even painted the gas cap - they were thorough. Is the front bumper painted silver or is it galvanized?

Last edited:

Snagger

Explorer
The cross member is British MoD. There's nothing hokey about it - it's just unusual over there, and leads me to suspect the vehicle was part of a group taken to the US or Canada on exercise and left behind for some reason.

The paint looks nice, but it's been botched - the painted cappings, cross member, door handles, tailgate hinges and roof gutter are testament to that. It's very straight, though, so could be worth bying and sorting out those details later.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
That rear cross member looks very little like my MOD cross member. I don't recall seeing any with the PTO opening (that's normally where the trailer electrical connector is). Also, the PTO opening seems to span two different pieces, which no cross member I've seen does. Finally, it doesn't look like a box section on the ends.

MrLeadfoot

no it,s not ex mod, it has a hood latch in stead of clips, looks as the X member has just been over plated.
is it full of bondo, they wernt that straight when new!

Wander

Expedition Leader
I did get down and looked under the truck at the frame-no rust in sight. The only corrosion to be found is on the center of the steering wheel-and that came off with a scrape of my finger nail. The seller and I thought it was odd they left the wheel center that way but went to the trouble of painting the small sections that span the spokes body color. As for the frame being galv- I don't think it is but it would shock me, the front is painted-and very well. There is some overspray on the sides of the frame you see in the wheel wells-the rest is "frame" color. I did get a good look at the back of the frame where the crossmember is and while I agree it looks like a replacement or some factory oddity it's clean-nothing stood out to indicate one way or the other. So if someone did weld on some angle iron to replace the original they did a very pro job. But if that is the case I owuld expect to see rust elsewear or at least evidence of heavier use-but nothing. The body is that straight, heck the support arms and inner structure of the rear hatch are still there. If this series lived an easy life in NC it could be possible as we don't use salt nor do we have hard winters. I've seen some old Bronco's and FJ40's that were bought as a hunting truck by guys with money that never have time to hunt and end up putting the truck in a barn and maybe driving it once a month to remind themselves of their upbringing on a farm. The seals and glass look new which I guess were done when the paint work was done. The prior owner has money and this is not his only pristine toy, it is a shame that he didn't seek help on doing the work correctly. Luckily it's nothing that can't be undone with some careful work on (hopefully) my part. The seats are almost comical as they look so out of place, I should have grabbed a shot of those for you all.
The rear cross member does not have the angled sections nor the handle like parts on the ends. It did make me wonder why if they were going to use angle iron to replace it they went to the trouble to include the PTO hole and the gromet for the hole.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy