Bug out challenge

Leonmac

I hear you, what I am hoping for is the event is natural and things will start to return quickly so I'm not looking for a Tardus just something that can cover rough ground and kept its occupants dry warm and comfortable for a few weeks, lets think about what that could be, my guess is a well set up overland/expedition vehicle which is what I was hoping to see, not a Nuke/Zombie repelling life support Tank. Just saying.

Dirt Rider

This brings up a good question...and those in the community with experience can help...What is the longest you can spend over-landing before you really need to re-supply ? An assumption is that in a disaster things will get back to normal in about two weeks at the most (Not based on anything). So how long can you stay out in your rig while on a trip? Based on the trip reports I have read most are limited to a week or less, is this what you all have found?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
This brings up a good question...and those in the community with experience can help...What is the longest you can spend over-landing before you really need to re-supply ? . . .

I have stayed out 18 days. The limiter for me is water; if I'm careful I can live on a gallon a day. If I can find a water supply I will need to restock in about a month. Although the last two weeks will not be enjoyable eating.

jim

luthj

Engineer In Residence
With a small stash of dried and canned food we can do 20 days with 2 people on 40 gallons of water and our 120L fridge. That's rationing the water severely. No showers, twice a week sponge baths, and significant water conservation when cooking. In very hot weather that would need to be shortened for comfort, as severe conditions can require 1.5 gallons of water for drinking each. If water can be obtained from a local source, or rain capture, we can do 30 days without going crazy with dried/preserved foods. If required 90 days worth of dried food would easily fit in the van, and the solar will supply our needs (other than heating) indefinitely.

Mike W.

So if your running from the city say Los Angeles how many others will be doing the same? Your limiters far outweigh you advantages in doing so. Food, fuel, water and space..The Mojave would resemble a downtown LA homeless camp.

One of many reasons I won't live in a heavily populated area. If ground water isn't effected I could probably make 6-8 months in the comfort of my own home. If it gets really bad I can saddle a horse and pack animals and leave..

big a

Adventurer
This is a very interesting topic... Fun to read some of the funny comments, but serious enough to provoke thought... I'm not a prepper, but I do think it's prudent to consider the inevitable and be prepared as much as an individual deems necessary. I mean, we all have different experiences and responsibilities. I also suppose it depends on the level of disaster from a tornado that hits a relatively small area, to a hurricane, an earthquake (isolated vs an entire region), a volcano (small vs Yellowstone) to all out war or an emp. So, what is the level of prudence? I don't know... I have a family, so I probably could get by for a few days with what i'd consider a normal about of water and food. We could probably ration out for a cpl wks if the best option is to stay put. I also have an array of camping and hunting equipment. I know a lot of rural areas with water and sustenance within a 100-600 mile radius where we could make it quite a while. To get there, I'm in the middle of building a 4dr JK with a 4bt, an nv4500 and lockers, so no electronics required! I'm building it for fun, but could be used in a bad situation if dictated. You can run on anything from motor oil to kerosene, so lots of options from off the shelf, to include abandoned vehicles... anyway... In a long term situation, I think the one thing missing that I don't read much about are tools. I think it's absolutely necessary to be able to fix anything in a long term situation. I believe tools are an absolute critical need after food/water/shelter. I suppose in this scenario, we'd go back to barter/trade situation. Who knows, probably won't ever get to that point. Maybe it should be in the back of our minds, but in my humble opinion, I don't think it should be the main focus.

Fun topic to debate and think about...

-Andy

Dirt Rider

Ok boys and girls, its time for the next phase of this discussion: Weather change. I bring this up because I saw online (Must be true right?) that we may be entering a global cooling period or mini ice age. Don’t want to get into weather global warming or cooling is real, that’s a discussion for another day. The question is what would you do in each of these scenarios? I live the desert, so shelter in place or head north/south?

Mike W.

Ok boys and girls, its time for the next phase of this discussion: Weather change. I bring this up because I saw online (Must be true right?) that we may be entering a global cooling period or mini ice age. Don’t want to get into weather global warming or cooling is real, that’s a discussion for another day. The question is what would you do in each of these scenarios? I live the desert, so shelter in place or head north/south?
Sheltering in place is always the best answer unless your at ground zero. My last option would be leaving my home where I know I have what it takes to survive 2-3 months. Once you venture out you leave yourself open to predators of the human kind. How much fuel, water and food can you carry in a vehicle?

WOODY2

Adventurer
The hidden solution is living half way to wherever, making a large part of the problem a non-problem?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's been -40 here for the past week. So pretty much a mini ice age, lol. Get up and go to work as usual.....

Welcome to Canada, leave your gun on the way in and come grab some legal weed....

Mekcanix

Camper
It's been -40 here for the past week. So pretty much a mini ice age, lol. Get up and go to work as usual.....

Welcome to Canada, leave your gun on the way in and come grab some legal weed....

Bloody Hell ain't that the truth but the odd thing is we are getting such temp swings here in the prairies right now, last night it was in the -40's with windchill, tomorrow it will be -9 damn near shorts weather

rayra

Expedition Leader
So if your running from the city say Los Angeles how many others will be doing the same? Your limiters far outweigh you advantages in doing so. Food, fuel, water and space..The Mojave would resemble a downtown LA homeless camp.

One of many reasons I won't live in a heavily populated area. If ground water isn't effected I could probably make 6-8 months in the comfort of my own home. If it gets really bad I can saddle a horse and pack animals and leave..

why I used words like 'hurry' and live in Santa Clarita, on the north edge of greater L.A.. Got to take off early and fast, get ahead of the Golden Horde and outrun them. Part of why I keep a lot of fuel. I do not want to be stopped along the road anywhere near L.A., trying to fuel up or displaying a bunch of red fuel jugs. Or sitting at a roadside gas station that doesn't have power for its pumps as more and more people arrive.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
As many of our Overland rigs will qualify as Bug Out vehicles also, I would challenge my fellow over landers to come up with the best bug out rig and why. I will start with my own.

Assume a natural disaster that leaves your city infrastructure severely damaged or society breaks down or an EMP bomb takes out all electrical systems.

92 Ram with 5.9 Cummins and Four Wheel camper.

Truck: They made them for many years, they are simple and easy to get parts for (Junk yards are full of them). Axels are Dana 60 front and 70 rear, both considered one ton. NP 205 transfer case is bullet proof and simple. Winch, 10 gallons external fuel storage.

Engine: Can not only run on diesel but kerosene, jet fuel, cooking oil Etc. Parts available everywhere and it was used in everything from generators to bread trucks. And what can I say, it’s the best. Mechanical and not electronically controlled along with the tranny.

Four Wheel camper: Low profile, made for off road, food storage, water storage, heater, water heater, stove and bed.View attachment 544025

Thats a nice looking rig. A lot of guys would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wifes.... Cheers, Chilli... ?

09Busaman

I am have subscribed to this thread, good reading guys. I am not a prepper either, but have a few things put away. I dont believe it would be easy to survive as lone wolf in true SHTF scenario. As stated above, I would shelter in place for as long as I could before having to venture out. The main limiting factor would be fuel unless you could barter/scavenge, etc. But then, where would you be planning to go if you did venture out? I have a particular skills that could be useful, maybe join the community where you live to contribute for joint survival?

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
when the SHTF and a starving family passes by in a cheap junky sedan one might let them pass and hope they'll run out of fuel somewhere far away. When a "well built" expedition vehicle passes by it will be ambushed and the occupants executed. The contents will be "spoils of war" for the attackers. A SHTF vehicle is just a prepper's wet dream...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg