Build quality satisfaction?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had a 2008 for 3 years ~ 86,000 miles and might still have it if it had been a manual trans.
Now have a 2014 Unlimited with the 3.6L and a stick.
Love it.
Perfect? No. Neither am I.
Look at this forum and this thread. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/i-have-absolutely-no-business-owning-a-jk-795018.html
Jeep owners are enthusiasts. Rabid. Illogical. Some ********************; most fine people. Just like 'Yota and Rover owners....

A Wrangler is either right for you or not. Don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole though; you'll never fit and you won't be happy.
If you're a Jeep guy, you probably already know it.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I skipped reading most of this thread. Mainly to just not get caught up in the conversation and to just share my experience with my 2008 JKUR with the OP.

I think there is a distinct difference in Pre-recession Jeep and Post-Recession Jeep. Say 2010 and older vs. 2011 and newer.

I've owned 10 other Jeeps over 30 years, 90% of them were modified(upwards of 37s and associated mods). Many had 200K+ on them when I sold them. I live in Colorado and used to wheel them often.

I think in concept the JKUR was a spectacular vehicle. In reality it fell short in many ways. Both on its own merits and in comparison to previous Jeeps. Most of those issues seem to have been addressed on the later Jeeps.

My 3 Jeeps prior to the JK I had owned for 10 years each or upwards of 280K miles. I sold the JK after just 1.5 years of ownership and 38K miles.

In 38K my always garaged, well cared for JK looked far worse than my 168K 1998 wheeled HARD TJ.

The seat bolsters were worn smooth, the top squeaked, tailgate had busted at the seams, doors wouldn't shut right from the frame being tweaked from wheeling it(not crashing it, just flexing it out), locker switch failed, axle seals failed, heater blower failed, carpet is the hardest to clean automotive carpet I have ever owned!!!, the interior plastic is the softest, easiest substance to scratch on earth, fingernails will destroy it!.....and more.

My next door neighbor has a 2013 that I installed an AEV suspension on. It is a MUCH nicer and BETTER BUILT JK than my 2008 was!!

I think in an effort to save their company Jeep must have changed the way they are doing things after near death in the recession.

ShortBusGeek

Adventurer
I've got a 2014 JKU Sport S with roughly 17k on it at the moment. I've previously had a Tacoma, 4Runner, and Excursion and currently still have an F350. I've also previously had a few different sports cars as well as a sedan (first car was a Toyota Camry). But the one vehicle I've always wanted was a Jeep. I wanted to be able to put the top down and take the doors off - something none of my other vehicles could do (errm, without major modifications since I guess technically you can turn any vehicle into a convertible). I finally took one for a test drive last year when I thought I could probably work one into my budget. I ran the numbers and compared the costs of things like oil changes (Excursion had the 7.3 diesel with 15 quarts of oil at every oil change), fuel filter changes (you change them a lot more frequently on these big diesels), and various other maintenance items. In the end, it looked like the Jeep was an okay financial move as well (especially since they tend to hold their value so well). If I had it to do over again, I'd have absolutely no hesitation buying it all over again.

Radio

Observer
Well, I've owned several Toyotas, a Dodge Truck, a Nissan D-21 (that's my Donkey, it kicks ***) and a few others over the years...
I just purchased a 2014 JKU Sport.
I like it. It is simple. Comfortable for me.
It is a good, small truck.
Initial impressions? Yeah, fit and finish is not 100%. Sure, its not a $70k machine, but come on... But its okay.
Interior can be accused of being a little on the cheap side. Sure. But its okay. I keep my black dash clean all the time with my handy rag.
The sound system and u-connect suck. Period. Buy the cheapest factory option and upgrade your own.

I really like the basic platform the Jeep offers. You see a billion Jeeps every day, and they are mostly all different. I like that. Yeah, there are faults, but you can mod your way out of them (and into new ones if your not careful). But, I know this. Its the flavour of ice cream I've chosen.

Only time will tell... but I get positive feelings from my Jeep and it is a blast to drive and wheel.

Keep your wrenches handy. Cuz you can fix it!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'm sure 4Rescue is a great guy and his misspelling of Klaus was unintentional, maybe just an abundance of testosterone. Sometimes emotions get the best of us all when talking about our preferred vehicles. The question was the build quality and satisfaction of new jeeps. I have a 2014 JKUR with 10,000 miles on it and am pleased so far. A couple trips to Death Valley and one each to Arizona and Utah has proven it to be comfortable on and off road. Had three Toyotas by the way, including an 82 FJ40, and liked them too. Also currently have a 68 Bronco which is a blast. Anyway good luck in which ever you choose. No disrespect to 4Rescue.

None taken mate... I've got "enthusiastic opinions" to say the least aye. Although I would point out that while YES, this was in fact a question about JK build quality, the Toyota/Jeep comparison was part of the OP's question/phrasing and hence why the conversation turned down that familiar path.

Yes, I mis-spelled KLAUS unintentionally (sorry) and honestly I wasn't even trying to have a go at him in any way shape or form and feel bad if it was taken that way. I think he's had good info and a good perspective in this thread what with owning both vehicles being compared. I simply disagree with the specific statement I pointed to and that's all there is to it. I apologize to Klaus if I made him feel like I was attacking him over it and anyone else reading this because that's not "The Portal way". It's hard to convey sentiment and tone through the keyboard and that was never my intention...

Rubicon John" or whatever, well he chuffed me a bit with his attitude and I sunk to his level and for that I apologize as well...

Interior styling is a personal choice thing, you either like what's become of the Jeep's interior or you don't usually, and that's been going on since the CJ turned into the YJ and will always go on... but the fit and finish is not, and it's not terribly good on the JK IMO, esp. when companies like Kia and others are where they are today. Not really a big deal to me, but it is an indicator as to some of the ways they make them so affordable... As "into the scene" the Jeep engineering guys are, they're just engineers and the bean counters rule the company at the end of the day. Another indicator of build quality, to me, are the relatively light duty suspension pick-up points in various places (not everywhere, but there are known issues for some folks), as several JK owners here have already pointed out, and the thin body panels. That said, I have also seen folks who manage to keep 2x Locked stock D30/35 combos and old AMC20's alive with 35+" tires so it may be that some never come to the limit of some of these things I see as "issues" with the build quality. That's down to the driver and how they go about driving/what they do with the rig. I also feel the stock JK's are a little under sprung for hauling any serious payloads. That's a simple fix, but as a stock vehicle, it's still a factor IMO. {OT, but on the subject of the JK overall: I'm kinda miffed in general with Jeep for putting a small Diesel in the KJ, the GC, now the 1500 Ram, rumors of another Fiat Diesel in the Renegade/Cherokee and even the Dart platforms, but NOT in the Wrangler for the US which IMO they know folks would eat them up like all things Wrangler. Could have saved them two attempts trying to make a more fuel efficient power-train then the old Tractor Engine 4.0L (which I still love, although not the fuel econ but... Still love that engine). That just makes no sense to me, but then I can't exactly point to any other company who IS doing that in the US yet so that's not really a "Jeep thing" and not relevant to the OP's question... Sorry, I'm bitter.}

There's no doubting that the Rubicon is, esp. in the USDM where we don't get those ROW trucks I've had the pleasure of being able to compare to the JK, a very special and capable vehicle. I love the fact that at least ONE company will (twice even counting the Power Wagon as a "cousin" to the JK(U)R) in the US is willing to go to this level of outfitting for a stock, dealer sold 4wd rig. That's no in question here and I'm not saying "Jeeps are crap and nobody should buy one", but as others have said, the JK isn't really a direct, "level comparison" to the 80-series as a complete vehicle. Drive-train wise, sure, it's fairly comparable, but overall they're very different rigs n so many ways. On the positive side of the JK, you can take the top off, it's certainly a "fun" rig to drive and does well on the road, esp. for how well it performs in the dirt. Fuel econ wise, I've never driven a loaded down/built JK long enough to evaluate that for myself, but I doubt it's gonna be worse then the 80-series. They're cool looking and I love that they still LOOK like a Jeep after all these years and generations, that's cool cause I love 'old" trucks and, to me, the jeep looks a lot like an old truck. There's also every kind of mod/doo-hicky and thing-a-ma-bob available for the Jeep... If it exists in the aftermarket 4wd world, it's 99.9% likely to be available for the JK and that gives you tons of options (although Toyotas likely 2nd to jeep in that respect). And, even though I knocked the "thin body panels", I have to say that with the top and doors on, they're really not noisy inside and are quite comfortable driving position wise IMO.

Maybe ask some of the service Techs on the QT what they see in the dealership bays and if they have any glaring concerns or consistent repairs/known issues... You may not get answers at first, but usually there are some guys who will tell you straight on, what they see and what they have issues with.

Cheers

Dave

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
My neighbor just got a brand new 4 Runnner....talk about some thin sheet metal and a door that sounds like a coffee can.. I also recently had an FJ for a rental while on business it felt the same way that the 4Runner did....I just can't past how the door handle feels and the noise I got when I shut the door. I was really surprised.

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
My neighbor just got a brand new 4 Runnner....talk about some thin sheet metal and a door that sounds like a coffee can.. I also recently had an FJ for a rental while on business it felt the same way that the 4Runner did....I just can't past how the door handle feels and the noise I got when I shut the door. I was really surprised.

Doubt you'd be a fan of JK doors/sheet metal. You literally can't lean against the vehicle doors without bowing the metal inwards. And I'm not some super hefty guy either.

Prubah

Lots here keep talking about the thin sheetmetal. Pah-lease. Thicker sheetmetal means more weight. More weight above the frame means more tippy. More tippy means less capable offroad and less safe on highway. It's a compromise worth having. To have a new vehicle in the 21st century that's still so closely related to the cj2a is amazing. I'm a Toyota guy that went Rubicon because the FJ top doesn't come off and is nothing like the 40, which the wrangler still is. I've never enjoyed a vehicle as much as my new JKR. (except my 74 Blazer/tons/detroits/500hpLS6/DC36" Rubi on Roids) :sombrero:

Last edited:

Jake79

Agreed with Prubah thinner sheet metal is here to stay, due to cafe standards. But if it allows Jeep to keep solid axles then I say its worth the comprimise.

HAFICON

Adventurer
38k miles on my 2012, I traded in a 2008 4dr TRD Tacoma on it. I miss the truck for the function of a truck and the look of the Tacoma. I would not trade my Jeep though just way more options about the Jeep and it is easy to change things like thin sheet metal or lighting. I have had a YJ, TJ, XJ,now JK also had a 94 Toyota pick up. Jeep for sure has it quirks, leaks, can be noisier but all is off set by the smile on your face when you drive one. I am also a fan of the FJ they are pretty nice.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
None taken mate... I've got "enthusiastic opinions" to say the least aye. Although I would point out that while YES, this was in fact a question about JK build quality, the Toyota/Jeep comparison was part of the OP's question/phrasing and hence why the conversation turned down that familiar path.

Yes, I mis-spelled KLAUS unintentionally (sorry) and honestly I wasn't even trying to have a go at him in any way shape or form and feel bad if it was taken that way. I think he's had good info and a good perspective in this thread what with owning both vehicles being compared. I simply disagree with the specific statement I pointed to and that's all there is to it. I apologize to Klaus if I made him feel like I was attacking him over it and anyone else reading this because that's not "The Portal way". It's hard to convey sentiment and tone through the keyboard and that was never my intention...

Rubicon John" or whatever, well he chuffed me a bit with his attitude and I sunk to his level and for that I apologize as well...

Interior styling is a personal choice thing, you either like what's become of the Jeep's interior or you don't usually, and that's been going on since the CJ turned into the YJ and will always go on... but the fit and finish is not, and it's not terribly good on the JK IMO, esp. when companies like Kia and others are where they are today. Not really a big deal to me, but it is an indicator as to some of the ways they make them so affordable... As "into the scene" the Jeep engineering guys are, they're just engineers and the bean counters rule the company at the end of the day. Another indicator of build quality, to me, are the relatively light duty suspension pick-up points in various places (not everywhere, but there are known issues for some folks), as several JK owners here have already pointed out, and the thin body panels. That said, I have also seen folks who manage to keep 2x Locked stock D30/35 combos and old AMC20's alive with 35+" tires so it may be that some never come to the limit of some of these things I see as "issues" with the build quality. That's down to the driver and how they go about driving/what they do with the rig. I also feel the stock JK's are a little under sprung for hauling any serious payloads. That's a simple fix, but as a stock vehicle, it's still a factor IMO. {OT, but on the subject of the JK overall: I'm kinda miffed in general with Jeep for putting a small Diesel in the KJ, the GC, now the 1500 Ram, rumors of another Fiat Diesel in the Renegade/Cherokee and even the Dart platforms, but NOT in the Wrangler for the US which IMO they know folks would eat them up like all things Wrangler. Could have saved them two attempts trying to make a more fuel efficient power-train then the old Tractor Engine 4.0L (which I still love, although not the fuel econ but... Still love that engine). That just makes no sense to me, but then I can't exactly point to any other company who IS doing that in the US yet so that's not really a "Jeep thing" and not relevant to the OP's question... Sorry, I'm bitter.}

There's no doubting that the Rubicon is, esp. in the USDM where we don't get those ROW trucks I've had the pleasure of being able to compare to the JK, a very special and capable vehicle. I love the fact that at least ONE company will (twice even counting the Power Wagon as a "cousin" to the JK(U)R) in the US is willing to go to this level of outfitting for a stock, dealer sold 4wd rig. That's no in question here and I'm not saying "Jeeps are crap and nobody should buy one", but as others have said, the JK isn't really a direct, "level comparison" to the 80-series as a complete vehicle. Drive-train wise, sure, it's fairly comparable, but overall they're very different rigs n so many ways. On the positive side of the JK, you can take the top off, it's certainly a "fun" rig to drive and does well on the road, esp. for how well it performs in the dirt. Fuel econ wise, I've never driven a loaded down/built JK long enough to evaluate that for myself, but I doubt it's gonna be worse then the 80-series. They're cool looking and I love that they still LOOK like a Jeep after all these years and generations, that's cool cause I love 'old" trucks and, to me, the jeep looks a lot like an old truck. There's also every kind of mod/doo-hicky and thing-a-ma-bob available for the Jeep... If it exists in the aftermarket 4wd world, it's 99.9% likely to be available for the JK and that gives you tons of options (although Toyotas likely 2nd to jeep in that respect). And, even though I knocked the "thin body panels", I have to say that with the top and doors on, they're really not noisy inside and are quite comfortable driving position wise IMO.

Maybe ask some of the service Techs on the QT what they see in the dealership bays and if they have any glaring concerns or consistent repairs/known issues... You may not get answers at first, but usually there are some guys who will tell you straight on, what they see and what they have issues with.

Cheers

Dave

None taken. I just saw your response now. I meant more technical terrain capable. I've owned and wheeled two 100-series pretty hard and agree they're better for what you're defining as off road capable.

In NA, you're not typically spending multiple weeks off road. It's more highway to technical trail. That's why we have the jkur and not the nice 70-series. Different tools for different jobs.

Speaking of technical terrain, that's what the new 4Runner trail can't do as well out of the box. I got a jk because I didn't want to go down the custom everything rabbit hole again or try to reverse engineer good approach and departure angles.

I'd like a new land cruiser with a luxury interior, removable top, 4-doors, solid could sprung axles and triple lockers that looks like an fj40. But that doesn't exist under $200,000 and the JKUR does. And at the end of the day in the United States, you're probably not really taking advantage of Land Cruisers' world class build quality and reliability.

irish1371

Adventurer
you can argue the points forever. jeeps are a lifestyle not a vehicle.

every jeep is a possible life time keeper.
every jeep will have its issues, the whole point is to find out what you love hate about the jeep. Then you modify it to fit your personal needs. This makes every jeep into the owners own vison of what is the perfect jeep.

and that is why you have my jeep when you pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel :)

unkamonkey

Explorer
I suppose I just don't agree with some of you people. I've driven my stinkey, noisy, drafty 1961 CJ3B for 30 years. It gets me where I need to go, If it won't do it, I probably don't need to go there. I've turned around on more than one trail. If I need to really get there, I can walk. The PTO winch, powerlock rear and V6 motor conversion work well. I have certainly driven some Toyotas, Nissans and other Jeeps. I have also had to tow or winch many other 4x4s of many makes out of some places.
I'm not saying my Jeep is the best thing out there, In fact several friends have much more capable machines. Just knowing how to drive whatever you own can get you further than many people think is possible.
My 1964 VW was actually amazing off roading, A few places I did better than the 4x4s, (until I ran out of power.)

Felix13

On the fence

I have an 08 I bought new, 45,000 miles. Thus far I have had the death wobble, i replaced the drag link, track bar and tie-rod. The fuel tank was replaced under warranty, it's still eating oil at about 1 qt every 1000 miles. Dealer replaced the heads once already and I'm currently dealing with brake issues. Other than that I love it. It's a fun vehicle and no one else makes anything like it. Gas mileage with 34" tires, 4.88 gears is 15.2 to 16 mpg. That's a combo of city and highway, but mo sting highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77