Building an Expedition-Worthy 2005 4Runner

DrJohn

Observer
Awesome man, turned out great! I'll be ordering a couple of their gas can holders for my own bolt on jerry can swing out soon enough. I like what you did with the ammo can, very functional! Maybe line it with some of that drawer padding to cut down on the rattling inside?

Good idea on padding the interior of the ammo box. I think I'll also bolt it down lower for visibility, and so it doesn't crash through the window in case of a wreck :peepwall:

CYi5

Explorer
Good idea on padding the interior of the ammo box. I think I'll also bolt it down lower for visibility, and so it doesn't crash through the window in case of a wreck :peepwall:

Not to mention keeping that COG low ;) ;).

DrJohn

Observer
Wow!

(Can we see a photo of the whole truck from the side)

This is the only one I took from the side:

3857095606_29fc911b39_o.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
My god what is that thing protruding from the top o the hatch? Tell me that's not just there to hold the third brake light. Butt ugly my friend! Hope it has a purpose.:elkgrin:

DrJohn

Observer
Electrical

Got some electrical work done to power the fridge, laptops, recharge batteries, etc.

The fridge was having trouble getting enough amps from the auxiliary plug in the back of the runner, so I got a new fuse panel and three cigarette lighter wells at Autozone. I wired this directly to the battery using an 8-gauge wire wire from Car Toys (advertised for powering amplifiers). The guys at Car Toys fabricated a case for the three ports, and then it was bolted under the drivers seat. Now I've got full-time power for the fridge and inverters:

3860063654_0ab8f629dd_o.jpg

3859277291_19ccae5afb_o.jpg

I also wanted to ensure a safe battery charge, and decided to go solar (for now), without a second battery. My Sunforce 60-Watt Solar Charging Kit just arrived, which was an easy install. I bolted the charge controller to the fuse box under the hood (next to the 8-gauge wire leading to the auxiliary ports) and wired that to the battery. Then I wired the extension cable plug to the winch clutch access in the front bumper:

3860063538_0b748982ec_o.jpg

3860063470_992f37f387_o.jpg

3860063580_23a2406f3e_o.jpg

The Sunforce Kit comes with four 15-watt solar panels that bolt onto a PVC stand. For now I'm going to keep this portable so I can park my rig in the shade and put the panels out in the sun:

3860063636_cc942b7507_o.jpg

For storage and transportation, the panels almost fit completely under the RTT mattress. I'm going to see how effective the four panels are over the next 8 days when I'll be camping on a survey in Western Colorado. If they keep the battery charged with little effort, I may take one of the panels off the rack and cut it down so it will fit entirely within the RTT:

3860063866_905f78a28e_o.jpg

3859277503_a525e060c6_o.jpg

The Sunforce kit also comes with a nice power inverter, which I'll plug into the new auxiliary plugs to keep the laptops and radios charged during the survey:

3860063784_0c2939ea07_o.jpg

So we'll see how this all works on the Uncompahgre Plateau, where I'm heading tomorrow.
:archaeolo

DrJohn

Observer
My god what is that thing protruding from the top o the hatch? Tell me that's not just there to hold the third brake light. Butt ugly my friend! Hope it has a purpose.:elkgrin:

:D
One of the soccer mom aspects of the rig to be sure.

DrJohn

Observer
WOW, I didn't really think this could get any better and you pull out a solar panel set up! Great build!

This is quickly becoming my favorite 4runner on this site. Awesome job!

sweet 4runner!!

Glad you guys like it :victory:

It's funny, I've been thinking about all of this gear for years now, mumbling to myself in the field about how nice it would be not to bottom out the rig, and to have a full charge on the GPS units and radios, and cold food/beverages, and a tent that doesn't blow away. It was just getting over that initial hump of the suspension-tires-front bumper. Then the flood gates were open :coffeedrink:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Uncompahgre Plateau? Near Durango? Went to school for 2 years at Ft. Lewis College along time ago....or am I off? Yeah that was the los Animos area....maybe I'll Google.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3