Building an Expedition-Worthy 2005 4Runner

DrJohn

Observer
Uncompahgre Plateau? Near Durango? Went to school for 2 years at Ft. Lewis College along time ago....or am I off? Yeah that was the los Animos area....maybe I'll Google.:sombrero:

Almost - western Colorado between Grand Junction and Montrose.

daPitbull

Adventurer
Very nice, I was following your progress on the 120 forum. Do you mind me asking what you do to be able to have a cool job where you get to build a cool rig for expo use?

JamesDowning

Explorer
Excellent Rig!

When I was purchasing my vehicle, I had a hard time deciding between a 4runner and a TrailBlazer. Now you're making me question my choice!

After getting a drop-down tire carrier from Steve at CBI, I too was impressed with his product. Looks like his bumper design was well thought out, as it seems all of his products are.
:elkgrin:

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Great build!

That rear bumper is the best I've seen. And good thing you opted for the 'heavy' OME coils!

Does the RTT come with hardware to lock it in place? What about the rear spare and accessories on the rear bumper? Would be great to be able to lock it all down - thieves suck. With nuts and bolts at least someone couldn't just stoll by and strip it down - they'd have to come with tools.

DrJohn

Observer
Quick break from the field

Sorry I've been incommunicado, but I just got back for a weekend break from some fieldwork in Western Colorado.

Here's a quick photo - I've yet to get most of the photos off the SD card, so more to come...

3890122751_2e0a8f6342_o.jpg

Initial impressions of the solar setup: it worked great keeping my battery fully charged, but it sure is a pain to move around every day during our forays from the campsite into the project area.

I'm thinking of building some sort of folding bracket for the solar panels so that the two outer ones fold inward.

Everything else worked great too. A huge machine screw punctured one of my tires, but the spare went on in minutes with the hi-lift under the slider.

The tires worked great during some thunderstorms on the muddy Forest Service roads. Very little slippage.

DrJohn

Observer
Excellent Rig!

When I was purchasing my vehicle, I had a hard time deciding between a 4runner and a TrailBlazer. Now you're making me question my choice!

After getting a drop-down tire carrier from Steve at CBI, I too was impressed with his product. Looks like his bumper design was well thought out, as it seems all of his products are.
:elkgrin:

Glad you like the runner! I'm very impressed with the rear bumper. You can tell a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into it's R&D.

DrJohn

Observer
Great progress John! Any plans to relocate the tailpipe? With that sweet bumper, looks like the pipe may wind up becoming a pretzel during the next fun outing.

Allpro offers this for the FJ... maybe you can have someone bend up a similar setup for you:

http://www.allprooffroad.com/fjaccessories/fjexhuastpipe

So what's next? :victory:

I was just thinking about that this past week during some close calls between boulders and the tailpipe. Great link - many thanks. I'd love to have something like that for the runner.

DrJohn

Observer
How do you like the Goodyear MTR Kevlars?

They have worked great so far, after an initial setback. The first trip I took after buying all 5 tires, I got a flat on the way back, around Vail. I changed it out at a gas station, and took it to a tire shop after getting back. There was a puncture..in the sidewall.

Probably some freak accident with some highway debris puncturing the kevlar. But in a moment of stupidity, I didn't buy the extended warranty at 4-Wheel Parts, and they weren't keen to replace it.

So I bought a BFG MT at Costco for the spare.

But since then, I've put the tires through hell during the past three projects. They really do well all-around. I was very glad that they pulled me up a narrow muddy trail a couple of weeks ago.

DrJohn

Observer
Back from the wilds of Colorado

I'm just getting back from several archaeological surveys throughout Colorado, and thought I'd post some photos of the various locales. It has been a hectic few weeks, trying to get the surveys done before the snow flies, and I've slept more in my RTT than my bed at home.

All of the new gear has treated me well, and I never would have made it into the last project area without it.

Here's the camping situation at night in the Uncompahgre National Forest:

truck-night_jpg.jpg

Another camp spot under Chimney Rock in Southwestern Colorado:

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

The colors were really popping near Pagosa Springs:
IMG_2755.jpg

And here are some from the last project, near State Bridge in Middle Park, Eagle and Grand Counties, Colorado. This area required some real wheeling to access the survey areas:

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

Cont'd on next post...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad