Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What is it that you're wanting to do?
Wiring is like plumbing in a lot of ways, might be easier to think in those terms.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What is it that you're wanting to do?
Wiring is like plumbing in a lot of ways, might be easier to think in those terms.

It is the wiring for the back-up light. I guess what I really wish is that I had a warm place to park the truck while I work on it.

Thanks for reminding me about thinking of wiring in terms of plumbing. Somebody had told me that once, and I had forgot about it.

CYi5

Explorer
I dig it. IPF makes great included wiring harnesses. I would also recommend swapping out the fuse with a better inline one. Mine corroded and lost connection after awhile.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have finally found a camp chair that I like. It is the Lafuma Maxi Pop'up chair. Lafuma is from France and manufactures "top-of-the-line, premium camp chairs." The long back will make lounging around camp more comfortable, in fact it is tall enough that I can rest my head on the back, rare to find for a tall guy like myself. The butterfly-style folding design will fit neatly in my packing system. (Folded dimensions 45.5x4.75, capacity 260 lb.)

MOS.jpg

Can be found at Backcountry.com and other places.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Well it finally warmed up a bit, and we have had a couple of days where it got just above freezing.

So I was able to finish the wiring on the backup light. The IPF wiring kit was great, although I did need to buy some extra wire to run the ground back down to the frame. With the ten inch ground wire in the kit they must figure the light will be mounted under the bumper? The wiring was strait-forward, although laying in the snow and ice under the truck was a bit painful.

(I ran the wire from the engine bay under the truck and along the frame to the end of the cab. Then up along the bed/camper and across the roof, wire is protected across the roof with a flexible wire tubing. I had six inches of wire to spare!)

I mounted the switch on the steering column. Easy place to switch the switch, and it had the necessary depth behind the switch for the bulky connector box. (Be sure to check placement in regard to tilt and telescope of steering column)

And the light works great! (Although it does not solve the problem of huge blind spots when backing up. So I am still waiting for the bumper "mod" that will happen when I hit something.)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Does it come on with just the switch, or do you also have to be in reverse too?

If only with the switch I would suggest an indicator light in the cab somewhere so that it's not shinning in the eyes of those following you. Seems the gendarmes don't take kindly to that.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Does it come on with just the switch, or do you also have to be in reverse too?

If only with the switch I would suggest an indicator light in the cab somewhere so that it's not shinning in the eyes of those following you. Seems the gendarmes don't take kindly to that.

The light comes on at any time with the switch. There is a indicator light built into the switch, but it does not work on my switch.

The switch is a three way switch, on-off-on when in reverse. I only wired the hard wire on, so the light is not connected to reverse. You must have to have both sets of wires hooked up for the LED to work, as the LED light on my switch does not work. Does this make sense?

Not that I would do it, but it is tempting to flash the backup light at somebody when they are tailgating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy