Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

dodecagon2000

Adventurer
i went down to aluminess last week to have the truck measured and i saw that bumper and its not that big and the quality is unreal. Dave the owner is a great guy and we came up with a wave to do my spare and two cans and the cool thing is that inside the bumper is a storage compartment.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I agree, I would look to something not so bulky... cool concept but seems more at home on the full size trucks and Vans.

toyota-truck-bumper-1_lg.jpg

Photog

Explorer
On the Tacoma, with no camper, It would be nice to have the box and cans sit inside the bed, replacing the tailgate. It wouldn't hang over the back end that way. It would act as a tailgate that swings out, instead of down. Have the door on the "chuck box" open on the opposite side, so you have access to it, when the gate is swung out.

It probably wouldn't be too dificult to build it to seal up, with a camper shell, when it was all closed up.

tailgate-storage-2.jpg

Sorry, this was probably a Hi Jack of your truck build thread.:confused:

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
On the Tacoma, with no camper, It would be nice to have the box and cans sit inside the bed, replacing the tailgate. It wouldn't hang over the back end that way. It would act as a tailgate that swings out, instead of down. Have the door on the "chuck box" open on the opposite side, so you have access to it, when the gate is swung out.

It probably wouldn't be too dificult to build it to seal up, with a camper shell, when it was all closed up.

Sorry, this was probably a Hi Jack of your truck build thread.:confused:

No, not a hi jack at all.

Good point about having the doors to the boxes open to the inside. That would make a nice work/cooking area. But with a camper I would guess that the boxes would not be able to open to the inside because of the frame supporting the swing out.

edit: just looked at the pictures again, and it looks like maybe there is no frame behind the box so it might work just fine.

Also a good idea to have it replace the tailgate. That would work great if you had a RTT on a rack above the bed.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
i went down to aluminess last week to have the truck measured and i saw that bumper and its not that big and the quality is unreal. Dave the owner is a great guy and we came up with a wave to do my spare and two cans and the cool thing is that inside the bumper is a storage compartment.

Nice, the inside of the bumper is storage. Be sure to show us some photos when you get it.

mr.trd

Adventurer
Yes 105 pounds does seem a bit on the heavy side. But it does have dual swing outs with boxes, and a tow hitch. I would guess most of the weight is in those areas.

I would really like to know how much the stock bumper with the tow hitch weights. Anybody happen to weigh their (05+,with tow hitch) bumper when they took it off?

Mine is sitting next to the house I will have to weight it when I get to it, should be soon though the way the snow is melting around here.

slooowr6

Explorer
Yes 105 pounds does seem a bit on the heavy side. But it does have dual swing outs with boxes, and a tow hitch. I would guess most of the weight is in those areas.

I would really like to know how much the stock bumper with the tow hitch weights. Anybody happen to weigh their (05+,with tow hitch) bumper when they took it off?

There is no hitch on the bumper, if you look closer you can see that's a Curt hitch and it sits below the bumper. I think there is a pic of the bumper itself somewhere on TTORA or ToyotaNation.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've still got my OEM hitch. It's a heavy sucker - I'd guess 40+ lbs. I don't have the bumper any more, but I don't remember it being as heavy: 30 lbs?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I've still got my OEM hitch. It's a heavy sucker - I'd guess 40+ lbs. I don't have the bumper any more, but I don't remember it being as heavy: 30 lbs?

Thanks Matt!

40 pounds is heavy, I wonder if it would be worth it to take it off and save some weight on my rig. It does seem wrong to take the hitch off though.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
There is no hitch on the bumper, if you look closer you can see that's a Curt hitch and it sits below the bumper. I think there is a pic of the bumper itself somewhere on TTORA or ToyotaNation.

105 pounds with no hitch is heavy. And it would just get heavier with a second galley box.

Why does everything have to weigh so much -OR- why does my truck not handle more weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy