Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
We have that weather heading our way. Tomorrow nights low is forecasted at -35*F (that's -37*C).

But right now we have a storm moving through, with about a foot and a half of snow coming overnight. So it is bit warmer at the moment, right about O*F.

Heeltoe989,
Other than plugging in the block heater, do you do anything special to keep your truck running smooth through these cold winter months?

Thanks.

Synthetics in everything, including the grease in the u-joints. and I have a small heater inside the cab that I plug into the house next to the block heater. No heated seats yet :(

PS - and I close the cold air intake off at the fender, so the truck breathes warm air from under the hood.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
heeltoe989 said:
My truck is too dirty right now, it might crack your computer screen :)

Great pictures!

slooowr6 said:
Beautiful picture!

Thanks guys!

Do you remember this one from last year?

2001295868894273266_rs.jpg

Same place. It is in the National Forest, near an old clear cut that has some nice evergreens growing in it. Up here to get a Christmas tree you go to the Forest Service office and get a permit to cut down a tree, then you have about 3,900,000 acres to pick a tree from! So this is the place that we have been frequenting the last couple of years to find a tree.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Thanks guys!

Do you remember this one from last year?

2001295868894273266_rs.jpg

Same place. It is in the National Forest, near an old clear cut that has some nice evergreens growing in it. Up here to get a Christmas tree you go to the Forest Service office and get a permit to cut down a tree, then you have about 3,900,000 acres to pick a tree from! So this is the place that we have been frequenting the last couple of years to find a tree.

Sounds pretty nice to me! :camping:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have edited the first post to include a synopsis of what I have done on the truck. As this thread gets longer I hope it is a help in finding information.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here is a welcome advance in my truck's build. (No more plastic cans for me)

I bought 2 Wedco gas and 2 Wedco water cans. I was lucky to be able to get the old style water can. Then after looking them over and thinking about the new regulations starting this year (banning buying these cans), I broke down and ordered two more gas cans to set aside for the time being.

I also ordered what has to be one of the coolest little pieces of kit around, a Super Siphon.

Animat.gif
Tank1.gif

Super Siphons can be ordered from ExpeditionExchange.com.

Also, I am working on what I think is an original idea for a simple shower system. More to come on that project.

Applejack

Explorer
Just finished reading your entire 42 pages of Tacoma history! Nice build by the way. Just wanted to ask how the vibrations are, any solutions found? I would also like to throw this into the mix: I remember watching a video where someone was having vibration issues on his 05+ Taco. He mounted a camera under the truck to catch on video what was happening, and it turned out to be the bracket that the carrier bearing mounts to and spans to both side of the frame. The whole thing would wiggle. Lifting a truck would leverage that point and exaggerate the problem. Anyway, if nothing else works you may want to check that out and stiffen it.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just finished reading your entire 42 pages of Tacoma history! Nice build by the way. Just wanted to ask how the vibrations are, any solutions found? I would also like to throw this into the mix: I remember watching a video where someone was having vibration issues on his 05+ Taco. He mounted a camera under the truck to catch on video what was happening, and it turned out to be the bracket that the carrier bearing mounts to and spans to both side of the frame. The whole thing would wiggle. Lifting a truck would leverage that point and exaggerate the problem. Anyway, if nothing else works you may want to check that out and stiffen it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this whole thread. I hope you found some useful information, or at least found it entertaining.

(sigh) The vibration problem.

Thanks for the bracket idea.

I get a bit sick when I think about the vibration problem. I have spent a lot of time and a lot of money trying to fix it with shims. I have tried various angles of shims and nothing has worked.

One interesting thing I did find is that the vibration has been the least with no shims and the OME carrier bearing drop kit taken out. So on my truck the vibration was worse with the carrier bearing drop kit.

Now it is at its best with no shims and no carrier bearing drop kit. It does get a whole lot better if I load the back up with some weight, thus dropping the rear. So I am considering taking a leaf out of the Dakar's so the back of the truck rides lower. But the whole reason I have the Dakars is to handle the heavy loads I have in the back while I am on the road, so there is no easy answer.

I like my truck, but I hate the vibration problem.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
New Stove For The Rig - Optimus Hiker Plus

I have been thinking about this stove since I saw it in the Fall 2007 issue of Overland Journal. I am hoping it will combine the multi fuel capabilities of my MSR (as it can burn white gas, unleaded, diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel) with the ease of use of a Partner Steel style stove.

Link to Optimus Here.

I have to admit that I am a huge fan of my MSR Dragonfly. Even though I have a small pile of stoves to choose from, ninety percent of the time I go for the Dragonfly. It will be interesting to see how the Hiker fairs in the long run as I have high standards for stoves.

Photog

Explorer
Then you can move on to the pinion angle of the axle.

What angle should that be at?

The pinion angle should match the angle of the aft-end of shaft #1 and the output flange of transfer case. Just start at the front, with good motor & trans mounts, check angle of transfer case output flange, and make everything match that angle.

Sometimes the pinion angle can change, as the suspension moves up & down. You may need to set the pinion angle, with the truck 1/2 loaded, to get the least vibrations throughout the normal range of motion. In other words, if you set it perfectly in an un-loaded condition, you will probably have vibes when loaded, and visa-versa. If it is set perfectly, 1/2 way between loaded & unloaded, there may only be a tiny bit of vibe when unloaded or fully loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy