Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Let's say, just to throw out some arbitrary numbers, that the t/c's output flange is 5* down and no angle side to side.

Then the flange behind the carrier bearing should also be 5* down and have none side to side.

The pinion then wants to be, ideally, 5* UP, but to compensate for spring wrap under 'just going down the road' load (not 'just going up the Lion's Back' load) it may want to be a little less than that.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
ntsqd said:
Let's say, just to throw out some arbitrary numbers, that the t/c's output flange is 5* down and no angle side to side.

Then the flange behind the carrier bearing should also be 5* down and have none side to side.

The pinion then wants to be, ideally, 5* UP, but to compensate for spring wrap under 'just going down the road' load (not 'just going up the Lion's Back' load) it may want to be a little less than that.

Okay, I think I got it. Sorry that this has been so painful while I try and understand what is going on under there.

Thanks everybody for your help.

slooowr6

Explorer
I forgot to mention this Disclaimer : I never done drive train work so please don't hold me against what I said. :)

The transmission crank center line is your base for the whole rear drive train. What photog said, at least what I think he said, is to setup the part before carrier. Once that is done then use that as base to setup the rear. Follow what ntsqd said to find out what the rear axle angle needs to be.

daverami

Explorer
When I lifted my truck, 06 Access Cab, I ran into vibration problems. I ended up removing the Alcan's I put in the rear, and went with the rear leaf TSB from Toyota. I still have the DR/Icon coilovers on the front, but cranked a little lower. I still experienced a minor vibration, seemingly coming from the frontend. There is a TSB http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116875 that essentially lowers the T-case a little to reduce the angle on the driveshaft coming out of the transfer case. They just replace the rear mount with a newly designed one. I had this done last week and it seems to have made a difference. As far as with a lift and adding the carrier support shim, I don't know if it will have any effect on that, but it's a free try if you are under 60K. I sent my rear leaf packs back to Alcan to have the weight more tuned and will be trying again. The TW driveshaft fix has been beaten to death on several forums. It has fixed the problem for some, not for others, plus ended up creating a few new issues for a small group. If you do a search on TTORA or some of the other Toyota forums, you could spend days reading about the TW driveshafts or vibration problems. I read somewhere that High Angle Driveline, http://www.highangledriveline.com/ has come up with a custom two piece, but it is major bucks.

taco chaser

Supporting Sponsor
Have you tried shims under the springs to correct the pinion angle? I've had to do this in the past but I always use the type that bolt to the leaf pack using a longer center pin, not the slip under garbage. :)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
daverami said:
When I lifted my truck, 06 Access Cab, I ran into vibration problems. I ended up removing the Alcan's I put in the rear, and went with the rear leaf TSB from Toyota. I still have the DR/Icon coilovers on the front, but cranked a little lower. I still experienced a minor vibration, seemingly coming from the frontend. There is a TSB http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116875 that essentially lowers the T-case a little to reduce the angle on the driveshaft coming out of the transfer case. They just replace the rear mount with a newly designed one. I had this done last week and it seems to have made a difference. As far as with a lift and adding the carrier support shim, I don't know if it will have any effect on that, but it's a free try if you are under 60K. I sent my rear leaf packs back to Alcan to have the weight more tuned and will be trying again. The TW driveshaft fix has been beaten to death on several forums. It has fixed the problem for some, not for others, plus ended up creating a few new issues for a small group. If you do a search on TTORA or some of the other Toyota forums, you could spend days reading about the TW driveshafts or vibration problems. I read somewhere that High Angle Driveline, http://www.highangledriveline.com/ has come up with a custom two piece, but it is major bucks.

Thanks for the info Dave.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
taco chaser said:
Have you tried shims under the springs to correct the pinion angle? I've had to do this in the past but I always use the type that bolt to the leaf pack using a longer center pin, not the slip under garbage. :)

I have tried a couple of different shims. The ones I have in there now helped a lot, but not as much as I would like.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have bought an angle finder, and I think I understand what to look for, so one of these days I am going to crawl under the truck and take some measurements.

The only problem is that it is cold, this morning it is 20 below zero (F), and we have a pile of fresh snow. Ah, the joys of winter.

Last edited:

daverami

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
I have bought an angle finder, and I think I understand what to look for, so one of these days I am going to crawl under the truck and take some measurements.

The only problem is that it is cold, this morning it is 20 below zero, and we have a pile of fresh snow. Ah, the joys of winter.

You are welcome for the info, I hope some of it will be of help. Let us know what your angle measurements are when you get around to it. I am curious about that.

It may get to 4 degrees here this week, I should put on some suntan lotion when I compare that to your temps, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

heeltoe989

Explorer
daverami said:
You are welcome for the info, I hope some of it will be of help. Let us know what your angle measurements are when you get around to it. I am curious about that.

It may get to 4 degrees here this week, I should put on some suntan lotion when I compare that to your temps, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Not to boast, but its -25C here today :)

heeltoe989

Explorer
Jacket said:
-17*C here and falling....:coffee:

Got up this morning -35c. Good thing I had the trucks life line plugged in! Man its cold!, we usually get temperatures like this in January February, not right now!

Sorry about the hi-jack :)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
heeltoe989 said:
Got up this morning -35c. Good thing I had the trucks life line plugged in! Man its cold!, we usually get temperatures like this in January February, not right now!

Sorry about the hi-jack :)

We have that weather heading our way. Tomorrow nights low is forecasted at -35*F (that's -37*C).

But right now we have a storm moving through, with about a foot and a half of snow coming overnight. So it is bit warmer at the moment, right about O*F.

Heeltoe989,
Other than plugging in the block heater, do you do anything special to keep your truck running smooth through these cold winter months?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy