Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Paha Que' Outhouse

I thought about this purchase for a long time, I was not sure if it was worth the cost or the extra weight and space in the truck. But in the end I broke down and bought one.

It will be nice to have an outhouse, both when out at a remote campsite and also when at an undeveloped campground, as the "facilities" can be rather unpleasant.

It is also nice to do more than just wash your hair every couple of days, and there are times when a open air shower is just not appropriate. (When on the road I have gone more than two weeks without a proper shower, but that is something I would prefer not to repeat.)

I also figured that while setup, it would make a good storage place at night.

With those things in mind I decided that most likely it would be worthwhile to carry one. I did buy the aluminum poles, bringing the weight down and making setup easier. Still it is more space in the truck, more weight, and more things to deal with in camp. So we will see how it works out.

Link to Paha Que' Here.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Streakerfreak said:
Yeah you definitely don't want to much more weight on your rig. Its a one hefty rig.

Yes it is. I am trying to figure out how to add the things I want/need and still keep the weight down. It's a hard task, much easier dealing with a backpack of equipment than a truck load of equipment.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am still feeling frustrated with the vibration problem that has occurred when I lifted the truck with the install of the OME suspension. I have tried different shims and am not satisfied with them. So I am thinking of trying a Tom Woods one piece drive shaft.

If anybody has any thoughts or concerns on this I would be interested in discussing it. I would like to know as much as I can before I install a new drive shaft.

Thanks everybody!

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
I am still feeling frustrated with the vibration problem that has occurred when I lifted the truck with the install of the OME suspension. I have tried different shims and am not satisfied with them. So I am thinking of trying a Tom Woods one piece drive shaft.

If anybody has any thoughts or concerns on this I would be interested in discussing it. I would like to know as much as I can before I install a new drive shaft.

Thanks everybody!

A Tom Woods would be ideal, but expensive.

I can't due to I have a have a long bed and the one piece is just to long. I have the OME shims for the hanger bearing and did one at a time and haven't had vibrations. I've also wondered if the shorter beds have vibration over the long beds because of the steeper angles of the drive shaft.

I wonder if you can have somebody check the hanger bearing for proper alignment? Is there even such a thing?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
heeltoe989 said:
A Tom Woods would be ideal, but expensive.

I can't due to I have a have a long bed and the one piece is just to long. I have the OME shims for the hanger bearing and did one at a time and haven't had vibrations. I've also wondered if the shorter beds have vibration over the long beds because of the steeper angles of the drive shaft.

I wonder if you can have somebody check the hanger bearing for proper alignment? Is there even such a thing?

Would the hanger bearing also be called the carrier bearing? I do have the OME carrier bearing drop in.

I do think the shorter trucks are more prone to vibration because of the steeper angle.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Would the hanger bearing also be called the carrier bearing? I do have the OME carrier bearing drop in.

I do think the shorter trucks are more prone to vibration because of the steeper angle.

Correct :) - Carrier.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
It's definitely worth a try if the vibs are significant enough and are driving you crazy. I know it's solved the problem for many.

Aren't longer shafts generally harder to balance? I would imagine the TW's are perfect or near perfect when shipped, but possibly easier to knock out of balance over time (weights get knocked off, contact with rocks, etc.)? I haven't kept up enough with the topic to see if anyone has experienced any long term issues for rigs like yours that actually leave the pavement.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Jacket said:
It's definitely worth a try if the vibs are significant enough and are driving you crazy. I know it's solved the problem for many.

Aren't longer shafts generally harder to balance? I would imagine the TW's are perfect or near perfect when shipped, but possibly easier to knock out of balance over time (weights get knocked off, contact with rocks, etc.)? I haven't kept up enough with the topic to see if anyone has experienced any long term issues for rigs like yours that actually leave the pavement.

very true, longer shafts can a do go out of balance. I wonder if re-balancing would help?

slooowr6

Explorer
Have you find out the angle of you drive shaft? Even if you have the engine and the axle line up perfectly you still have the restriction of the U-joint Operating Angle which is base on shaft RPM and shaft angle. Like you said the short bed Taco has a steeper shaft angle which might be causing it to vibrate.

2joint_angle.gif

Getting a one piece TW may or may not help. Have you thought about bring the truck to a professional truck drive train alignment shop and have them take a look before spent the $ for a TW?

This site has a lot of information on drive train. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml#Introduction

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Jacket said:

Long term durability is very important to me, so maintaining balance is a good point. Tom Woods DS are made for rock crawling, so one would think that they would be beefy, I just wonder what their long term durability would be. Kind of like high end racing equipment, not as durable in the long run because of its lightweight etc etc.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
slooowr6 said:
Have you find out the angle of you drive shaft? Even if you have the engine and the axle line up perfectly you still have the restriction of the U-joint Operating Angle which is base on shaft RPM and shaft angle. Like you said the short bed Taco has a steeper shaft angle which might be causing it to vibrate.

Getting a one piece TW may or may not help. Have you thought about bring the truck to a professional truck drive train alignment shop and have them take a look before spent the $ for a TW?

This site has a lot of information on drive train. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml#Introduction

No I have not taken it to a drive train alignment shop. I called the one shop within 250 miles of me and the person I talked to did not know much. Maybe I should try calling again.

I need to read up on the U-joint Operating Angle. Is that referring to the U-joint on the drive shaft?

slooowr6

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
No I have not taken it to a drive train alignment shop. I called the one shop within 250 miles of me and the person I talked to did not know much. Maybe I should try calling again.

I need to read up on the U-joint Operating Angle. Is that referring to the U-joint on the drive shaft?

Yes, it's the part that's after the "carrier bearing". If the alignment shop is that far and does not seem to know much. It might be better get a simple angle finder do some measuring first. Here is the section on how to measure: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml#Single-Cardan-Measurements

Overland Hadley

on a journey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy