Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
This is an interesting new product.

Phone mount

It is a smart phone mount, that mounts using one of the bolt holes located in the handle on the A-pillar.

It is made by Craven Speed, top notch stuff.

I do not have a smart phone, but I do have an iPod. :elkgrin:

java

Expedition Leader
This is an interesting new product.

Phone mount

It is a smart phone mount, that mounts using one of the bolt holes located in the handle on the A-pillar.

It is made by Craven Speed, top notch stuff.

I do not have a smart phone, but I do have an iPod. :elkgrin:

that is an interesting mount. id like to see a pic of the one for my phone tho.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here is a interesting question.

I was looking at tires yesterday, and the new BFG AT T/A KO (LT265-75 R16) that I was looking at had a load rating of E PR10. I have the exact same tire on the truck, bought them about four years ago from Sam's Club, but my current tires have a load rating of D. Every other marking on the tires appear to be the same. Have the tires changed in the last couple years, or did I get "bargain" tires from Sam's?

UPR_TAC

Here is a interesting question.

I was looking at tires yesterday, and the new BFG AT T/A KO (LT265-75 R16) that I was looking at had a load rating of E PR10. I have the exact same tire on the truck, bought them about four years ago from Sam's Club, but my current tires have a load rating of D. Every other marking on the tires appear to be the same. Have the tires changed in the last couple years, or did I get "bargain" tires from Sam's?

BFG AT were available with both load ranges (D or E) in that tire size. I do not know if they are still available in both.

southpier

Expedition Leader
more of a general question, but do "light truck" tires ride too hard for daily driving? Tire Pros steered me away for that reason - to Firestone Destinations - which i do like

UPR_TAC

more of a general question, but do "light truck" tires ride too hard for daily driving? Tire Pros steered me away for that reason - to Firestone Destinations - which i do like

Any tire that you buy for your Tacoma is going to be a "Light Truck Tire".

That being said, Load Range E is fine for daily driving. I have a mostly stock truck and have Load Range E mud terrain tires and I did not notice any difference in ride "stiffness" from the stock Load Range D. The tire still has a noticeable sidewall bulge at 35-40psi.

Once you start adding bumpers, winches, racks, gear, taller tires, etc. a higher load rated tire will perform better on the street.

Some people complain of lighter load rated tires feeling "squishy" or soft when driving on the street with a heavier truck, like you are driving on under inflated tires.

Overland Hadley

on a journey

I was amazed by the difference of the sidewalls between the stock Rugged Trails (Ragged Fails) and the AT. The sidewalls on the AT are thick and stiff enough that it is hard to flex them between my fingers, while the stock tires felt like passenger car tires.

Does this make for a rougher ride, yes. But, when traveling through the desert, over rocks and the accidental barb wire, I am so happy to have a strong tire. At this point I can not see myself using any other tire but the BFG AT.

And the Old Man Emu, Dakars and Timbrens that I have for my suspension are set up for heavy loads, so the street ride is different from stock anyway. I like the way my truck rides.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
One thing I did just finish up was installing a new horn set.

I went with a pair of Stebel 80 Magnums. They are great! Putting out something like 133db, they sound authoritative.

The horns came with a relay, but nothing else as far as wiring goes. The Stebels pull more than 3 times what power the OE horns. Took a bit of time to get the wiring figured out, but it was good to learn. And I did not have to cut into the factory wiring.

Bought from Safari Ltd.

Overland Hadley

on a journey

BudBuilt

Info

:)

skidp.jpg

keezer37

Explorer
For consideration:
I used Rustoleum rattle can truck bed liner with a Krylon satin clear coat over top a new factory primed OE rear bumper about a year ago. It adheres well and has held up to the salty winter so far.

DukeyFlaps.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3