Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Do you have to fill the tank with a hose or can you get to the filler with a gallon jug from the store? The only thing keeping me back from getting one is that it is nice to travel dry on the interstate then filling up at a grocery store. If you had to have a hose to fill off of I could see that being hard to find some times. Just wondering if you experienced that on any trips with the tank. Thanks for any info on this.

keezer37

Explorer
Anybody know what fuel consumption is like when the engine is idling?

It is getting pretty darn cold here and I have been eating lunch in the truck, running the truck for about 20 minutes to get warmed up. Just wondering how much fuel it is costing me.

These folks would know: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/02/new.york.snow/?hpt=T1

I'd bet it's noticeable based on how long it takes to warm the engine by driving vs idling. While I haven't timed it, I would guess warming by idling has got to take three times as long easy.
Personally I'd be more concerned with the wear on the engine if you don't have your block heater. Warming an engine by idling is not a good practice.
So say Tom and Ray Magliozzi.

Photog

Explorer
I believe the fuel map is a bit more rich at idle, than cruise. More rich than necessary, for no load.

But; no matter how rich the engine is running, you are still getting zero mile per gallon, at idle. :ylsmoke:

If you have a ScanGage II, you may be able to read the "Gallon per Hour" info.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Diesels can idle forever with minimal wear, gasoline engines not so much I'm told.

I avoid idling whenever possible, especially for long periods.

Photog

Explorer
Diesels can idle forever with minimal wear, gasoline engines not so much I'm told.

I avoid idling whenever possible, especially for long periods.

X2. A rich idle, tends to wash the cylinders (cleans off the oil film), and increases wear. This may or may not be as big a problem on modern vehicles.

southpier

Expedition Leader
is there a tutorial for removal of the back seats (post #732)?

and if i do the headrests and back panel, is there an innocuous way to finish off what's left?

boss thread!

thanks

DesertBoater

Adventurer

and if i do the headrests and back panel, is there an innocuous way to finish off what's left?

boss thread!

thanks
The back seats come out with the removal of the two bolts on the front of the seat base where the hinges bolt in...just remove those bolts and the seats come right off. Those bolts then become decent anchor points for other things...like a fridge or a water tank. I'm not sure about the seatbacks...those are probably just a big piece of plastic covering the rear cab bulkhead. I know that bajataco removed the vast majority of the rear of his interior when he installed his fridge. It's probably something similar with the new Taco's.

Cheers,
West

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Do you have to fill the tank with a hose or can you get to the filler with a gallon jug from the store? The only thing keeping me back from getting one is that it is nice to travel dry on the interstate then filling up at a grocery store. If you had to have a hose to fill off of I could see that being hard to find some times. Just wondering if you experienced that on any trips with the tank. Thanks for any info on this.

It would be no problem to fill the tank with water jugs. For three weeks I filled the tank every few days with a Wedco jerry can. So instead of buying water you can fill up for free at a gas station or a picnic area.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
X2. A rich idle, tends to wash the cylinders (cleans off the oil film), and increases wear. This may or may not be as big a problem on modern vehicles.

Good to know. I will keep that in mind, just hard when it is well below 0. :snorkel:

If you have a ScanGage II, you may be able to read the "Gallon per Hour" info.

That is the information I need! I do not have a ScanGauge, but I need to get one.

Overland Hadley

on a journey

boss thread!

thanks

It depends on what model year you have. Mine is a 07 and there were just a couple of bolts to undo. The newer models have a lot more of a seat in the back and they might be harder to take out.

IMO I woud leave the back panel in unless there is a really good reason to take it out. I found a picture of a removed back panel, and it was ugly.

southpier

Expedition Leader
2011 tacoma access cab. the rear seats need to be out for me to go forward. bottoms seem pretty obvious, but the headrests and seatback might take some cogitating

NM-Frontier

Explorer
It would be no problem to fill the tank with water jugs. For three weeks I filled the tank every few days with a Wedco jerry can. So instead of buying water you can fill up for free at a gas station or a picnic area.

Alright thanks for the info. I pictured that to be the best way but just curious how you did it on your trip. Thanks!

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
On the road in Utah.

img55052.jpg

Where is this? Looks amazing!​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh